A Podcast Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: A Podcast Thread

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I've refined my gaming podcasts down to a steady lineup of:

Player One Podcast - current day but all the guys have worked in industry since 90s
Retronauts - retro
Vidjagame Apocalypse - retro/lists + current stuff and sales/collecting (a bit)
Back in My Play - retro + industry slant [pick and choose - i dont listen to the game specific shows unless it really interests me]
Hit the Pass - Press Row Podcast - sports gaming [admittedly a lot of these get deleted]
VGM Jukebox - music
Collectorcast (on hiatus) - retro/collecting
Racket Boy (NEVER FORGET) - I miss Dave hosting

I've got a another batch of Hardcore Gaming 101 downloaded to give another try plus am looking at Radio Free Nintendo, POWER PROS, and Giant Bombcast.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Elaborate on Player One? I never heard of it.

Idle Thumbs is my favorite.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

I liked Idle Thumbs before, one that I can't get into is CAGcast because it's never about gaming deals and collecting. I like the guys though, just don't need a podcast on day-to-day life.

Player One Podcast is Chris Johnston (lead producer at Adult Swim Games), Greg Sewart (he may have an account here - Sega-16 guy), Ethan Einhorn (in the industry producing games) and either Phil Theobald or other guests. Most of the guys worked at EGM/Ziff davis so they have built in chops and can talk old stuff (and old imported stuff). Covers news and "what are you playing?". Regular staple for me (also on YouTube). Playeronepodcast.com
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I couldn't get into Idle Thumbs.

Giant Bomb's Bombcast and Beastcast have made it very hard to get into other gaming podcasts. Those guys rock, although the Bombcast is in a bit of a rut with them down a few people now. Give the Beastcast a shot... it's way less serious and very silly, but it's pure magic. These podcasts are also completely uncut and I prefer that.

For my gaming stuff it's:

Bombcast/Beastcast
Game Informer - bit corporate but I dig them and their prestige gets lots of interviews
Easy Allies - ex Game Trailers guys

I also do Polygon's Quality Control, usually a short 20 minute talk/review of a game. But I might drop it soon, I usually hear the other shows cover the stuff and don't care for Polygon much in general lately.

Music:
VGM Jukebox - Key! Been following them from the start, love it. They do such a great job changing up the format/topics by the episode so it's always a nice surprise.
Legacy Music Hour - completely assuming these guys are super high all the time but it's kind of amazing, they stick strictly to the 8/16bit eras
Pixel Tunes - I have nitpicks about them, but I learn a lot of history
Rhythm & Pixels - awesomeness

I might have to check out Player One. I resonate with Giant Bomb a lot since they're mid to late 30's and 40's, a bit older than me but that seems to be the age group I connect with on gaming. Jeff Gerstmann is such a wealth of knowledge being in the industry for decades, it's awesome. Ask him about E3 from the 90's and he'll have stories.
marurun

Post by marurun »

8-4 Play.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

retrosportsgamer wrote:Racket Boy (NEVER FORGET) - I miss Dave hosting

Only Dave??

:( :( :(
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

:p that was admittedly fishing to see if either of you would check in (technically he was the host). I always like your guys "pickups and what are you playing" segments.