Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: "We're Alive" Audio Drama/Podcast - Free

by Jmustang1968 Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:49 pm

I went out of town last weekend and decided to give it a try. I am near the end of season 1. Pretty good, voice acting is generally good. Some plot holes at times, and others it is hard to tell what is going on, but I am enjoying it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:28 pm

Plot holes? There are a lot of crazy revelations after awhile.

It gets more and more obvious the writer(s?) were fans of Lost. Not a bad thing to me though.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:06 am

Keep listening John. I'm on episode 28, and they're bringing everything together. Lots of overlapping story arcs that make a lot of sense and tie in the multiple plot points.

Still lots of unanswered questions on the "zombies" but from reviews it looks like that gets wrapped up at the very end. Right now, they are definitely bringing all the character's stories together though.

Mostly areed @ S3 comment as they are focusing on several characters that weren't my favorite, but I'm impressed with the foreshadowing I completely missed & the ties in mentioned.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:22 am

Still listening.

So for an example of an issue I have:

At the end of season 1, somehow all the explosions and yelling doesnt bring the zombies/monsters, but the sweat does. And wouldn't a mass of people attacking a building build up a bunch of sweat as it is?

The other thing the show does is something that often bothers me that writers of shows and books often do. The characters don't act or reaxt realistically given the situation. They are worries about others feelings in the midst of life and death situations, sitting there having dialogue. These types of things are forced in to create character drama out of the context of what is believable. They don't always do this, and sometimes respond well, but it happens enough to make it notable.

Still enjoyable, and worth listening to, but prevents it from being great.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:23 pm

I'll just say I'm glad I'm not that critical and picky. :lol: :roll:
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:26 pm

Xeogred wrote:I'll just say I'm glad I'm not that critical and picky. :lol: :roll:

Having characters act believable to truly get into a show really isn't being picky, or worthy of an eye roll... It can be fairly immersion breaking, something that can hold it back.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:55 am

I mean I obviously see what you're getting it, but this is a drama. Drama is going to have a bit of over exaggeration and well, drama. It seems naturally expected to me. There are definitely moments like that at times that you're talking about, but it's fully to be expected in most media I'd say.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:37 am

Xeogred wrote:I mean I obviously see what you're getting it, but this is a drama. Drama is going to have a bit of over exaggeration and well, drama. It seems naturally expected to me. There are definitely moments like that at times that you're talking about, but it's fully to be expected in most media I'd say.

I tend to agree the drama elements are fine. I do see what he is referencing to an extent though. I remember one episode Angel said "danngit" in a crazy scene then in the following episode drops the F bomb in a less tense situation lol. I'm not an advocate for entertainment being full of language but that stuck out to me. Angel is voice by one of the creators also IIRC.

@ John regarding the inconsistency you mentioned:
Not going to spoil any plot points here but reference a couple things ahead. In S3, the mallers are all bebating why during the Tower attack their noise didn't attract zombies but the jars they threw did. Mallers don't know what the jars were. It's a mystery to them why it played out that way.

It is also revealed some groups use fragences, perfume, etc to hide normal sweet.

The point you brought up is at least addressed, although not "solved." Bigger point brought up below, but you might want to avoid. Up to you.

Ok, now this is a spoiler:
It is also revealed the one that got the zombies into the Tower, the pin stripe suit with tattoos, is a leader of sorts. He was also responsible for the other Tower (CJs) getting invaded. He can give orders. You learn they're a lot more strategic than we thought in several scenes later (can think of 5+ instances where their attacks were calculated versus random). Perhaps they weren't given the order/called in. The jars brought in what "few" were still in the area. You learn they appear to be thinning out in random areas & are congregating.

My thoughts about the inconsistencies were directed more towards overall plot holes versus smaller situational line items. So far in S3 the story fills in a lot about the characters, their backgrounds, & overlapping story lines.

I'll be wrapping up S3 soon :) on E31.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:24 pm

I finished it up, definitely one of those somber-like experiences because I didn't want it to end haha. It wraps up decently, albeit maybe a bit rushed, but I'm not one that lets an ending dictate the overall quality of the whole thing. The main ride throughout all of it was fantastic.

And not a spoiler or anything, but it turns out that Lockdown is basically a direct sequel, moreso than I suspected. Some returning characters and all. However I see that it might already be finished up, with six longer episodes. I guess maybe it's a shorter one shot spinoff or something. I wonder if they'll keep it going or these creators have plans for a new series.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:45 pm

Man, S3 really did get better IMO. It was action packed there at the end, in addition to the background stories provided at the beginning of the season.

Just started S4. Excited to see how it wraps up. Will definitely jump into Lockdown after.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever