"We're Alive" Audio Drama/Podcast - Free

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

"We're Alive" Audio Drama/Podcast - Free

Post by Jagosaurus »

Has any one else listened to this!? I'm addicted. :shock:

I know I'm behind here, started in May 2009 (1 year, 4 months before The Walking Dead). It started out as a plan for a TV show, but evolved into this. Hard to believe this is free with the production value and over 35 hours of content. It is very well done. The voice actors and writing really finds its stride about 5 episodes in.

Spin off series called We're Alive Lockdown just released.

I'm currently going through the original, on Chapter 18 (out of 48 chapters total). I highly recommend it. Seems to have a cult following. Only 58 reviews on itunes, but 5 stars. I happened across a buried thread on it on another forum.

I know we have a lot of folks looking for podcast, audio books, audio dramas. The podcast sub-forum is all but dead so posting here. Let me know what you think!

Summary:
For Army Reserve Soldier Michael Cross, the world as he knew it ended in an instant. One minute, he’s in college, and in the next, rioters are roaming the highway around him, breaking into cars, and literally tearing people apart. This is the day the dead walk. This is the world of We’re Alive.

We’re Alive: Features chapters packing performances and sound effects that rival movies and prove that modern audio drama is undead and well. Join our survivors as they band together, struggle to fortify a safe haven known as the Tower, and discovers that zombies are far from the worst thing in a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles where the rules of human decency no longer apply.

Little food. Little water. Little hope. Who is lucky enough to say “We’re Alive?”

MP3s (also on Stitcher)
http://www.werealive.com/episodes/

iTunes
https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZS ... 1&s=143441

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
J T
Next-Gen

Re: "We're Alive" Audio Drama/Podcast - Free

Post by J T »

I haven't heard of "We're Alive", so I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

I developed an interest in old 1940s radio dramas recently, and so lately I've listened to a lot of the old classic programs like Suspense, Escape, and the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre. A lot of this stuff is public domain now, so you can download or stream it for free.

Here are some great resources for free old time radio and public domain audiobooks:

Librivox
This is a link to the website, but they also have a great app that you can use to stream or download old time radio or audiobooks
https://librivox.org/

Archive.org
This website has tons of free stuff on it, as it's basically like a giant library. Here's a link to the old time radio section:
https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

Excape and Suspense
My two favorite old time radio shows have a website devoted entirely to them. There are lots of downloadable files and streams for Escape and Suspense episodes.
http://www.escape-suspense.com/AboutEsc ... pense.html
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

This sounds cool. I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

J T wrote:I haven't heard of "We're Alive", so I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

I developed an interest in old 1940s radio dramas recently, and so lately I've listened to a lot of the old classic programs like Suspense, Escape, and the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre. A lot of this stuff is public domain now, so you can download or stream it for free.

Here are some great resources for free old time radio and public domain audiobooks:

Librivox
This is a link to the website, but they also have a great app that you can use to stream or download old time radio or audiobooks
https://librivox.org/

Archive.org
This website has tons of free stuff on it, as it's basically like a giant library. Here's a link to the old time radio section:
https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

Excape and Suspense
My two favorite old time radio shows have a website devoted entirely to them. There are lots of downloadable files and streams for Escape and Suspense episodes.
http://www.escape-suspense.com/AboutEsc ... pense.html

Nice! Thanks JT. I'll start digging into those once I finished this one and the spinoff.

Definitely give We're Alive a listen. Be sure to make it through Chapter 3 or so. As I said, the series really finds its footing. I've tried to avoid all spoilers but from what little I've seen, it continues to ramp up and ends well.

They do a great job with ambient noise and fitting music. It really adds to the overall experience.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I listen to podcasts all day at work so I'll check this out...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Let me know what you guys think! I should knock out Chapter 19 today. I listen to this on my commute. Keeps getting better!

The best way to explain it is that each vampire or werewolf movie/book differs a little take on the lore, right? Well this does the same for zombies. Slightly different take on things. You learn more as the survivors learn more. Cool premise.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I finished up Chapter 1 this morning and was definitely digging it ... heck yeah I'm going to keep listening.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I'm up to chapter 20... it's amazing. I'm spreading the word to my friends as well now and they're getting hooked haha.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Nice!!!! I'm on Chapter 24 which I believe is the end of Season 2. Chapter 23 was really good. You'll likely pass me as I only listen n the ride home.

Crazy to believe this hasn't received more coverage/created more of a buzz. Happy to hear you're enjoying it.

J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I gave the first chapter a listen. It's fun! I am hoping that the story develops beyond a typical zombie story, but I like the multicultural cast of characters and the production values are really high for a free podcast. So far I am liking it, and I know you said it gets more interesting after chapter 3, so I will have to keep listening. I'm trying to finish out the Demon Wars audio books right now though, which I got via humblebundle, so this new story is on alternate for when I need a break from the medieval fantasy stuff.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry