The Alien & Predator Appreciation Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

The Alien & Predator Appreciation Thread

Post by noiseredux »

Like the thread I made for the Resident Evil series, I thought it would be cool to have a catch-all thread for Alien, Predator and their related universe. I thought it would be fitting to have a dedicated thread because while there are (as of 2016) "only" 11 movies in this universe, there are way more video games. Not only that, but Alien's influence cannot be denied in the world of video games with obvious nods in classics like Metroid and Contra.

So this thread will be for talking about all things Alien and Predator. Movies, video games, comic books, action figures, novels (I think there are some novels, right?), mockbusters, whatever. Oh, board games too... OMG! Did y'all know there was a trading card Alien game in the late 90's? And an Avalon Hill role playing game???

THE MOVIES:

Alien (1979)
Aliens (1986)
Predator (1987)
Predator 2 (1990)
Alien 3 (1992)
Alien Resurrection (1997)
Alien Vs Predator (2004)
Aliens Vs Predator Requiem (2007)
Predators (2010)
Prometheus (2012)
Alien Covenant (2017)

There are countless unofficial sequels and mockbusters that I'd like to get into as well. For instance in Italy there was an unofficial sequel called Alien 2: In Space which was released BEFORE Aliens was. And in recent years there have been plenty of mockbusters, such as Alien 3000, Alien Vs Hunter, Alien Origins and so on. But don't worry, I'll work through these so that y'all don't have to, haha.

VIDEO GAMES:

Alien (1982, 2600)
Alien (1982, Apple II)
Alien (1982, ZX81)
Alien (1984, C64, etc)
Aliens The Computer Game (1986, C64, Apple II, etc)
Aliens The Computer Game (1987, C64, MSX, etc)
Aliens Alien 2 (1987, MSX)
Predator (1987, C64, NES, ST, Amiga, etc)
Aliens (1990, arcade)
Predator 2 (1990, PC, Amiga, ST, C64, etc)
Predator 2 (1991, SMS, GG, Genesis)
Alien 3 (1992, Amiga, C64, SMS, NES, Genesis, GG)
Alien Vs Predator (1993, SNES)
Alien 3 (1993, GB)
Alien 3 (1993, SNES)
Alien Vs Predator The Last Of His Clan (1993, GB)
Alien 3 The Gun (1993, arcade)
Alien Vs Predator (1994, arcade)
Alien Vs Predator (1994, Jaguar)
Aliens A Comic Book Adventure (1995, PC)
Alien Trilogy (1996, PS1, Sat, PC)
Aliens Online (1998, PC)
Aliens Versus Predator (1999, PC)
Alien Resurrection (2000, PS1)
Aliens Thanatos Encounter (2001, GBC)
Aliens Versus Predator 2 (2001, PC)
Aliens Versus Predator 2 Primal Hunt (2002, PC)
Aliens Versus Predator Extinction (2002, PS2, XBox)
Predator Concrete Jungle (2005, PS2, Xbox)
Aliens Extermination (2006, arcade)
Aliens Vs Predator Requiem (2007, PSP)
Aliens Vs Predator (2010, PC, PS3, 360)
Predators (2010, iOS)
Aliens Infestation (2011, DS)
Aliens Colonial Marines (2013, PC, PS3, 360)
AVP Evolution (2013, Android, iOS)
Aliens Armageddon (2014, arcade)
Alien Isolation (2014, PC, PS3, 360, PS4, Xbox One)

...To get the ball rolling, I'd also like the point out that April 26th is "Alien Day." So how will y'all be celebrating? I just recently finished showing the entire series to my wife so instead of one of the films I've picked up a documentary called The Alien Saga which we'll be watching. Also, if time permits the new Alien Vs Pinball tables come out on 4/26 so I may get those to mess around with as well.
Last edited by noiseredux on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: The Alien & Predator Appreciation Thread - Alien Day is

Post by CRTGAMER »

Even though I have the Laser Disc version of the Alien movies, I had to snag the huge 9 disc Quadrilogy DVD set years ago. This is a must have set, so much extra footage one will never see on Netflix. :shock:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/site_archive/reviews3/alienquad00.html

The Alien Quadrilogy is a 9-disc treasure trove for fans of the Alien franchise. You're going to find things on these discs that you never knew existed - outtake footage, on-set footage, test footage, set construction photos and video, alternate camera angles of moments you know from the films, deleted scenes including moments you never knew about, candid production photos, pieces of artwork that have been hidden away for decades, vintage interview segments, brand new interviews with almost everyone you can imagine, stories you've never heard... you name it. The sheer volume of previously unseen material here is going to astound you. If you've been thinking that this set was going to be packed with recycled material, you're in for a shock. And if you think I'm exaggerating, you're in for an even bigger surprise.

The Digital Bits Insider's Guide to DVD 1st Edition
An expanded review of the Alien various DVD releases are included in this book in its own chapter. Great history with archive pictures on the making of that huge 9 disc Alien Quadrilogy set. The book is a very good read reviewing various DVD collectors editions, a treasure trove for any DVD aficionado.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071418520/thedigitalbit-20/

noiseredux wrote:I just recently finished showing the entire series to my wife so instead of one of the films I've picked up a documentary called The Alien Saga which we'll be watching.

I have this, John Hurt provides the narration. A very good supplemental DVD with footage of a very tall thin actor in Alien costume that was omitted from the Alien movie.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/site_archive/reviews3/aliensaga.html

With a nine-disc boxed set of the Alien films soon to be announced by 20th Century Fox, a set which will include many, many hours of newly produced and vintage supplemental materials, fans of the franchise are in for a real treat. In fact, about the only two things that won't be on the new Alien Quadrilogy set are a pair of previously created documentaries. The first is The Alien Legacy, which was released through a mail-in offer with the previous DVD set. The second is The Alien Saga, which was originally seen on AMC.

Both documentaries were omitted from the Quadrilogy for disc space reasons, and for the fact that much of their content is included in far more detail elsewhere on the set. But The Alien Saga, in particular, is still much appreciated by fans. Narrated by actor John Hurt, the documentary looks in depth at the making of the original Alien, from the genesis of the project through to its unexpected box office success. It then moves on to look at each of the other films of the series in turn, and the Alien franchise as a whole, which extends to comic books and even videogames. It's a very good documentary and, thankfully, it's now available on disc from Image Entertainment.

Another disc to hunt for is the Alien Legacy bonus DVD which was only available by mail order coupon when buying the Legacy set. A difficult disc to find online since it has the same name as the common four movie set.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/site_archive/reviews/alien.html#alienlegacy

If you purchase Alien as part of the 4-disc Alien Legacy Collection, you get a mail-in coupon for a 5th DVD - an hour-long documentary titled, appropriately, The Alien Legacy.

All in all, this is a good look into the making of the original Alien. The documentary boasts new interviews with Ridley Scott, Ron Cobb, H. R. Giger, Dan O'Bannon and others. It's a bit talking-heady, and could probably have been trimmed. But if you're interested in a behind-the-scenes look, particularly at the production design, then this is well worth a watch. I'm not sure I'd buy the whole set just to get this disc, but I'm sure glad I have it.

Oh crap, thanks to this Thread I had to buy the 4 movie set to get that rare bonus disc! Only 18.99 bucks shipped. Of note, the DVDs on this set have yet more additional footage, unique easter eggs and with different opening menus! I know, I have burned copies of them stored with my complete original CIB Quadrilogy set.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/site_archive/reviews3/alienquad00.html

I know there's one thing you Alien fans are going to want to know right away... can you sell your 4-disc Alien Legacy DVD box set on eBay if you buy the Quadrilogy?

Here's the deal... extras from the Legacy DVDs that haven't been carried over to this new set include:

1.Ridley Scott's audio commentary track (new commentary with the director has been recorded)

2.Jerry Goldsmith's isolated score (permission wasn't given to reuse it here), the alternate music and production audio track.

3.Easter eggs featuring the alien life-cycle and Nostromo crew bios (all omitted for disc space)[/b]

That was all on the original Alien: 25th Anniversary Special Edition DVD, so if any of that is important to you, you'll probably want to hang on to the disc. The EPK featurettes from the previous DVDs of Alien³ and Alien Resurrection are also missing.

Ooh, a bonus sealed set of the preliminary trading cards are included!

I recently bought Predator Collectors Edition 2 disc DVD set, Alien vs Predator Unrated 2 disc DVD set and have Prometheus dual Blueray/DVD release. That Prometheus movie was supposed to come out years ago, until fox temporarily killed the franchise with the Alien vs Predator movies. The first Alien vs Predator is not bad, though it does drag out. I like Prometheus even with though the snake scene was silly.

Out of the movie list in the OP, I am only missing Alien vs Predator Requiem and Predators. I have seen them, both meh. Eventually I'll pick them up and of course the collectors edition that has all the supplementals.

My favorite?

Alien
For the suspense, the what is lurking around the next corner. Being the first of the franchise, it holds a neat horror discovery type of atmosphere.

Aliens
Oh of course for the action, that screaming power loader sequence!

One thing I did not know until later on is that the chest burster is a mutation of depending who is the host. I think the series should have been more clear on this, possibly expanding on it?

Your game list does not include any conversions, but then that could be pages of titles. As far as games with conversions, I really like the Doom Aliens TC wad. A lot of solid sound bites including the easily recognized space machine gun and the voice cut ins. Going down the first level, you can hear the Sarge crack off "Check those corners!"; so cool even with the pixelated graphics in capturing the suspense the Alien franchise is famous for. That mod really needs to be saved as a remake on a newer FPS engine. An expansion on the powerloader to actually grab the Queen Alien during the final battle.

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 19 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Predator 2 is highly underrated. This is the movie that made the link between the Alien and Predator franchise.

Hey guys, I love that Alien VS Predator beat 'em up on CPS-2. Wasn't that cool? Was there ever a home port of that game? There are so many games called "Alien Vs Predator" that google is rendered worthless. The answer seems to be no.
Ack

Post by Ack »

samsonlonghair wrote:Predator 2 is highly underrated. This is the movie that made the link between the Alien and Predator franchise.

Hey guys, I love that Alien VS Predator beat 'em up on CPS-2. Wasn't that cool? Was there ever a home port of that game? There are so many games called "Alien Vs Predator" that google is rendered worthless. The answer seems to be no.

No, sadly, there was not. The AvP CPS-2 beat 'em up from Capcom has never come out anywhere else to my knowledge.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Darn.

Does Sega still own the license for the Alien video games? Much as I love Sega, I kinda wish CAPCOM could have that license back just so they could re-release the AVP beat 'em up.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

samsonlonghair wrote:Predator 2 is highly underrated. This is the movie that made the link between the Alien and Predator franchise.

hell yeah! The Xeno skull in the ship!

I love Predator 2. It was actually the first movie I saw of either franchise when I was a kid. It used to be on like Cinemax or HBO or one of those all the time in the 90's. I saw it so many times.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Agreed. You're talking about how Bill Paxton is in both film series, right? Not the xenomorph skull in the ship.

Predator 2 was actually my introduction to the Predator series (I taped it off a Fox showing), so it's always been my favorite. It definitely has a different feel from the first movie; I'd call the first movie a fairly standard horror movie while the second is more like a serial killer hunting movie, with less time spent on the forensic parts.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Aliens was actually the first film I saw in theaters. Why my parents took a 1-year-old, I don't know, but that pretty much set the tone for what I like.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

They probably figured a one year old wouldn't be able to actually process any of the movie, just loud noises and visual stimulation. It's not until you were a bit older that you would be able to understand things well enough to be shared shitless.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

MrPopo wrote:They probably figured a one year old wouldn't be able to actually process any of the movie, just loud noises and visual stimulation. It's not until you were a bit older that you would be able to understand things well enough to be shared shitless.

right. I probably would have been better off playing Isolation as a baby.