Star Trek Appreciation Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Star Trek Appreciation Thread

Post by Gunstar Green »

I'm still curious to see what they do, but I don't have high hopes and due to it being only on All Access in the US I don't expect it to survive past the first season anyway. It's unfortunate that it's likely to take Star Trek as a brand with it for the foreseeable future. Maybe someday someone will get their hands on it that understand people don't want more prequels and more soft-reboots.
HiSpec
8-bit

Post by HiSpec »

I want a return to the more thoughtful, less action-oriented Star Trek. At least for the TNG films and the reboots, it always seems like the creators missed the point of what people wanted and decided they had to appeal to senseless action in space.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Haven't seen Star Trek Discovery yet, but I wanted to say something about Klingon physiology. I am sufficiently self aware to admit upfront that this is super nerdy of me.

It is an established matter of Star Trek canon that Klingon appearance has changed over the generations. This is a taboo matter. At one point, Warf himself mentioned that it's something that Klingons don't talk about. There was a genetic virus that nearly drove the Klingon race into extinction. Humans were immune. To survive this virus, the Klingons had to alter their own genes by grafting human DNA into their own. This is the reason why Klingons look so human during Kirk's time (that and desilu studios budget :wink: ). After the virus was wiped out, the Kligons started the slow process of re-integrating their own DNA back into their posterity. Successive generations look more Klingon that the last with the possible exception of Klingon/human hybrids.

For the Klingons in Discovery to exhibit exaggerated physical characteristics makes perfect sense to me. Discovery takes place before the virus decimates the Klingon people.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

samsonlonghair wrote:Haven't seen Star Trek Discovery yet, but I wanted to say something about Klingon physiology. I am sufficiently self aware to admit upfront that this is super nerdy of me.

It is an established matter of Star Trek canon that Klingon appearance has changed over the generations. This is a taboo matter. At one point, Warf himself mentioned that it's something that Klingons don't talk about. There was a genetic virus that nearly drove the Klingon race into extinction. Humans were immune. To survive this virus, the Klingons had to alter their own genes by grafting human DNA into their own. This is the reason why Klingons look so human during Kirk's time (that and desilu studios budget :wink: ). After the virus was wiped out, the Kligons started the slow process of re-integrating their own DNA back into their posterity. Successive generations look more Klingon that the last with the possible exception of Klingon/human hybrids.

For the Klingons in Discovery to exhibit exaggerated physical characteristics makes perfect sense to me. Discovery takes place before the virus decimates the Klingon people.

Worf, not Warf. Also no it doesn't. Enterprise took place almost 100 years before TOS and STD. The virus hit 100 years before TOS/STD. So the Klingons should look like this in Discovery.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

They changed them in Into Darkness and that did quite well (even if it was pish) so I guess this current look is what CBS consider the "public image". Seems daft to me but whatever.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Segata wrote:Worf, not Warf. Also no it doesn't. Enterprise took place almost 100 years before TOS and STD. The virus hit 100 years before TOS/STD. So the Klingons should look like this in Discovery.

Autocorrect, dude. My iPhone didn't recognize "Worf" as a word, and autocorrected it to "Warf".
The virus itself was a retcon that Star Trek writers dreamt up to explain logically why Klingon appearance changes when the makeup budget changes. If you have a better explanation I'd like to hear it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

According to Memory Alpha, it looks like human hybrid Klingons were common between early 2100s up until about 2300, and were largely forgotten by 2400 in the Star Trek timeline. Discovery takes place in 2256. But at that time there were still non-hybrid Klingons about who were not human-looking.

Also, who GAF? During TOS, what was canon and what was not was based largely on Roddenberry's whim, not any real consideration for consistency. The virus that was retconned to explain the early Klingon makeup was a post-hoc explanation. And Star Trek canon, while it may be more consistent than Star Wars, is still something of a mess. Every new series wreaks havoc with the timeline, especially prequel stuff like Enterprise and now Discovery.

Klingons now look different. Oh well. Not like that's never happened before, and it will surely happen again.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Discovery is slick production-wise but I'm not really into it at all. I'm not that worried about the minor detail bits but the story is shaping up to be this shadowy conspiracy thing and I don't think I can make myself care about a whole season of that. Saru is probably the only character I don't dislike and his gimmick is weird.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Gunstar Green wrote:Discovery is slick production-wise but I'm not really into it at all. I'm not that worried about the minor detail bits but the story is shaping up to be this shadowy conspiracy thing and I don't think I can make myself care about a whole season of that. Saru is probably the only character I don't dislike and his gimmick is weird.

I like DS9 but feel Section 31 was the worst thing ever introduced by that series. It counters a lot of Picard's belief in the Federation and Genes vision of the Federation. Just feels they added it to be edgy. STD is a whole season of that episode of Voyager called Equinox. In that episode, a misguided captain and his crew use organic life forms as a new way to travel and it goes badly for them.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: New Star Trek Series-Hopes and Dreams

Post by Sload Soap »

Gunstar Green wrote:As long as we get a memorable ensemble cast, a positive message, and thought provoking science fiction I'll be happy. I'm really tired of doom and gloom science fiction and miss the optimism in Trek.

Oh, what naive fools we were. Two seasons of Discovery later and now Picard, I think it is safe to say that whatever Star Trek used to mean to people is gone and replaced by melodrama, awful writing and purposeless action. More fool me for watching it as well.

Picard's finale was, like its entire run, not really about its namesake but rather another doomsday device/blue laser in the sky/prophecy coming to pass that hacks like Kurtzman, Orci and their ilk thrive on (while ripping off Mass Effect of all things). There was a moment when I wanted the bad guy plan to succeed as I was more interested to see which bit of Trek fanservice would come pouring out of the hole in space rather than what was actually supposed to be happening. I think it was the Doomsday Machine, not sure.

I'm disappointed Patrick Stewart came back for this turkey but I also feel it was sold to him on false pretenses (also he isn't above a paycheck). The supporting cast is so weak I genuinely had to google the Captain's name (he is very pointless though in my defence) and the other characters, Raffi aside, are devoid of reason and morals. The actual Picard would have Agnes and Soji in jail not on his crew and he would have just left Elnor behind to think on his actions. But this isn't Picard it's an approximation of him seen through quick scans of the TNG movies and Big Bang Theory references.

They also ruined Seven of Nine and further ruined the Borg so that's nice as well. A classic destroy and exit from Kurtzman and the gang. And there was a lot of weird eye related gore as well. Why?