Star Trek Appreciation Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: New Star Trek Series-Hopes and Dreams

Post by strangenova »

Tanooki wrote:I forgot there was supposed to be some new series coming, and I guess I'm the bad guy in this but I really enjoy those Abrams movies for Trek (and Star Wars too.) They are their own thing and I'm good with it.

I really enjoyed the first Abrams Trek movie for what it was and it really did reinvigorate the series, but 'Into Darkness' was just a bunch of "pew pew", look we got khan in this movie and big space battles....it just wasn't star trek at all to me.

Unfortunately the trailer for 'Beyond' looks just as bad. Its all flash and no substance
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

My biggest gripe with Jar Jar Abrams' reboot is that no one fucking reads the scripts and asks "Does this shit make sense?"

"Weapon systems are offline!"
-screen shifts to exterior hull where several dozen phaser cannons are firing like it's fucking D-day-

I mean, seriously, guys. I know I nit-pick Star Trek a LOT - I'll be the first to admit it - but that's just sloppy shit.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I mean, seriously, guys. I know I nit-pick Star Trek a LOT - I'll be the first to admit it - but that's just sloppy shit.

Phasers aren't weapons obviously. Like Scotty once said, they're diplomats!

But yes. I agree the Abramsverse movies are a mess.

I thought the first one was fun for what it was though I've grown to dislike it more since Into Darkness soured me on the new continuity.

I mean, it's not like the classic continuity movies are always on the ball either, just look at pretty much every single TNG film or *shudder* Star Trek V, but somehow it's easier to forgive when there's hundreds of good episodes to look back on.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Gunstar Green wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I mean, seriously, guys. I know I nit-pick Star Trek a LOT - I'll be the first to admit it - but that's just sloppy shit.

Phasers aren't weapons obviously. Like Scotty once said, they're diplomats!

But yes. I agree the Abramsverse movies are a mess.

I thought the first one was fun for what it was though I've grown to dislike it more since Into Darkness soured me on the new continuity.

I mean, it's not like the classic continuity movies are always on the ball either, just look at pretty much every single TNG film or *shudder* Star Trek V, but somehow it's easier to forgive when there's hundreds of good episodes to look back on.

Hey, you shut that whore mouth! Generations and Insurrection sucked, but Nemesis was okay, and First Contact is a damn masterpiece!

But yeah, I and V are just...painful to watch. III was okay. Really, though, you're better off avoiding every odd numbered Star Trek movie. The even numbered ones are all good, but the odd numbered ones all suck (except III - that wasn't bad, but it wasn't great).

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

strangenova wrote:
Tanooki wrote:I forgot there was supposed to be some new series coming, and I guess I'm the bad guy in this but I really enjoy those Abrams movies for Trek (and Star Wars too.) They are their own thing and I'm good with it.

I really enjoyed the first Abrams Trek movie for what it was and it really did reinvigorate the series, but 'Into Darkness' was just a bunch of "pew pew", look we got khan in this movie and big space battles....it just wasn't star trek at all to me.

Unfortunately the trailer for 'Beyond' looks just as bad. Its all flash and no substance

Eh the old Star Trek 2 it kind of aped was quite a bit pew pew at times too, just nowhere near as much but I get you. As far as Beyond goes, in all fairness, what action/sci-fi blockbuster trailer isn't just a bunch of flash and crap being blown up? I will admit I'm not pleased seeing them apparently tank yet another Enterprise as that crap is getting OLD.

...and yes First Contact was a masterpiece for that stretch of cast movies and Nemesis did get a bad wrap as it was fine too, but the others...ehhh extended episodes at best.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:you're better off avoiding every odd numbered Star Trek movie.

One is an odd number.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was excellent. Star Trek waxes and wanes back and forth between *true Sci-Fi* and Space Western. Star Trek: The Motion Picture is the closest Trek ever came to *true Sci-Fi*.

I acknowledge that not everyone will agree with this point. For the sake of clarity, I will define Sci-Fi as fiction that depicts the repercussions of future technology upon humanity, culture, war, et cetera. Mary Shelly, Jules Verne, Arthur C. Clark, Isaac Asimov, and Philip K. Dick provide numerous examples.

On the other hand, Space Westerns are mostly adventure stories that happen to be set in space such as Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, et cetera. Every time Kirk had a showdown against the Klingons on "the final frontier" was a Space Western.

Similarly, a Space Opera is an epic story with traditional young hero, villain, wise old man, and rogue archetypes set in space such as Star Wars.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

samsonlonghair wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:you're better off avoiding every odd numbered Star Trek movie.

One is an odd number.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was excellent. Star Trek waxes and wanes back and forth between *true Sci-Fi* and Space Western. Star Trek: The Motion Picture is the closest Trek ever came to *true Sci-Fi*.

I acknowledge that not everyone will agree with this point. For the sake of clarity, I will define Sci-Fi as fiction that depicts the repercussions of future technology upon humanity, culture, war, et cetera. Arthur C. Clark, Isaac Asimov, and Philip K. Dick provide numerous examples.

On the other hand, Space Westerns are mostly adventure stories that happen to be set in space such as Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, et cetera. Every time Kirk had a showdown against the Klingons on "the final frontier" was a Space Western.

Similarly, a Space Opera is an epic story with traditional young hero, villain, wise old man, and rogue archetypes set in space such as Star Wars.

I respect your opinion, but I think you're insane for finding anything redeeming about The Motion Picture.

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:But yeah, I and V are just...painful to watch. III was okay. Really, though, you're better off avoiding every odd numbered Star Trek movie. The even numbered ones are all good, but the odd numbered ones all suck (except III - that wasn't bad, but it wasn't great).

To me, Nemesis is garbage made by people who didn't give a single crap about Star Trek beyond recycling tropes done better in Star Trek II and VI. It was just way too silly (Why did Remens even need to exist?) and the most depressing send-off TNG could have asked for.

First Contact I can agree with half-way. I love it as a Trekkie but as a movie it's full of holes. It's only a masterpiece when up against every other terrible TNG film. It also introduced the Borg Queen which begun their transition from terrifying monsters to the butt of jokes. Stewart's iconic delivery of, "THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE, THIS FAR, NO FURTHER..." is completely worth it though.

As for The Motion Picture's one redeeming quality? Its overblown budget produced the refit Enterprise model which is in my opinion the most beautiful starship in all of Trek.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Gunstar Green wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:But yeah, I and V are just...painful to watch. III was okay. Really, though, you're better off avoiding every odd numbered Star Trek movie. The even numbered ones are all good, but the odd numbered ones all suck (except III - that wasn't bad, but it wasn't great).

To me, Nemesis is garbage made by people who didn't give a single crap about Star Trek beyond recycling tropes done better in Star Trek II and VI. It was just way too silly (Why did Remens even need to exist?) and the most depressing send-off TNG could have asked for.

First Contact I can agree with half-way. I love it as a Trekkie but as a movie it's full of holes. It's only a masterpiece when up against every other terrible TNG film. It also introduced the Borg Queen which begun their transition from terrifying monsters to the butt of jokes. Stewart's iconic delivery of, "THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE, THIS FAR, NO FURTHER..." is completely worth it though.

As for The Motion Picture's one redeeming quality? Its overblown budget produced the refit Enterprise model which is in my opinion the most beautiful starship in all of Trek.

I'm gonna agree on nemesis, thats got to be the worst tng film and one of the worst star trek films period. As for first contact, that movie is a fantastic adventure from start to finish, and I actually like the borg queen character in her appearance here (subsequent Voyager appearances are a different story).

And I might be in the minority with this one, but for all its plot holes and shameless killing of a legend....I enjoyed generations! Maybe it was just the team up of two captains or maybe the enterprise destruction sequence, which hadn't been overdone by this point, but I've got a soft spot for that one.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

strangenova wrote:killing of a legend....I enjoyed generations! Maybe it was just the team up of two captains or maybe the enterprise destruction sequence, which hadn't been overdone by this point, but I've got a soft spot for that one.

I like Generations up until the point I don't. The opening sequence on the Enterprise-B is great and the initial mystery is intriguing. Unfortunately it just doesn't go anywhere and the rest of the movie seems like disconnected, hobbled together pieces. Randomly killing off Picard's family for cheap drama also makes me roll my eyes. His, "I never started a family," angst was enough without killing the family he did have.

A bird of prey taking out the pride of Starfleet is also the most inglorious end they could have come up with for a ship we spent over half a decade coming to love. I mean maybe I'm a bit too into the ships here but Kirk and the D go down in the same movie in incredibly stupid, unsatisfying ways. It's just painful.

Also the lighting... I get that movies are lit differently than TV but it's like there's no lighting at all on the Enterprise. It's so dark and oppressive.