Star Trek Appreciation Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: Star Trek Appreciation Thread

Post by strangenova »

Tanooki wrote:I know they're more actiony and all that and a bit less cerebral with the newer Trek spinoff universe but they're fun and it seems to get a lot more people to approach the series who wouldn't touch it in the past.
As a fan of Trek that is what gets me in these films, but as someone who wants to see Trek continue on....I appreciate these films for just that reason.

It convinced executives that a new series could be worth the money, and that's always a good thing.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

As long as it's not Enterprise season 3 stupid war bad or Voyager salamander bad. Also I am just sick of Star Trek being about war since that's not Trek. I liked DS9 but when you really boil it down...DS9 is the worst Star Trek show AS a Trek show but one of the best Sci Fi shows ever. Enterprise season 3 with the Xindi was really awful. Season 4 is when Manny Coto stepped in and had the show began like season 4..no doubt had a full 7 seasons. there would be no Borg episodes and no Tpal Tucker sex not sex scenes. I know the first season will be about the Klingons but if they get more seasons just hope it becomes a tru Star Trek with the moral center as the focus. Star Trek was always more of a Philosophy lesson with a space backdrop...like when teaching young kids a important lesson with a puppet show. You disguise it to get them to listen. Making it just a sci fi action....ugh. We have plenty of those.

Last I will say. If Discovery is successful and they decide to make a film. I ask one thing. No villain. I know that became a tradition after Khan and I love that film. I know it's more marketable. It's just been done to death. However the best films that truly just were pure Star Trek is The Motion Picture and Star Trek IV. No villain of the week. Just a plausible problem in the Trek verse cause by mans mistake and man must learn form mistake. Man can be his own worst enemy without the need of bad guy no 14.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Enterprise Season 3 was crap, but 1 and 2 and especially 4 were fantastic. The large reason it tanked wasn't so much how meh 3 was, but it was Paramount/UPN and CBS screwing with the show. Every few weeks/months they'd move it to another time on another day, or run part of a season here or there and not announce it so well. People get pissed off, fed up, and just walked. Season 4 tried to fix it, then those trolls despite improvement pulled it.

It didn't deserve that disrespect as it was a fantastic pre-birth/birth of the Federation show which really was rooted in some core good Trek about exploration, tech development, seeking out things, good classic exploration of the unknown. To see a time with no shield, turreted pop guns on ships, weird enemies that are later allies, and so much more was just fantastic. A true fantastic show of firsts that went down in flames by owner neglect and incompetence. The show in the end was a bookend of excellence (1 and 4) and mediocrity(2) and crap (3) in the middle.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Enterprise gave us the promise of a show about the birth of the Federation and then promptly tripped and fell on its face with the Temporal Cold War nonsense and the Xindi. It got back on its feet near the end but it was too little, too late.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Time travel is a very dangerous narrative tool. Don't get it just right and you're screwed.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

We never got a Galaxy Quest TV show but this maybe the next best thing. Honestly looks better than Discovery. Also Kassidy Yates and Bashirs dad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Watching Insurrection for the first time in several years. I feel the hate for this film is a little unwarranted. It's no masterpiece like First Contact but it's certainly a better Star Trek film than any of the Kelvin timeline films. Now notice I said Star Trek film and not Sci Fi film as it's a mediocre Sci Fi. This film is more what Star Trek is supposed to be about. It's really a 2-hour episode of TNG. I am ok with that. The film has issues but it's still enjoyable and still retains the core of Trek. More than can be said of later films carrying the Trek name.
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

Discovery is a whole new reboot and I don't have much hopes for it being a success. I still plan to check it out though.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'll check it out bootlegged. I have no problem admitting I'll do it since CBS is playing games. I think it could be interesting, but it really depends how it plays out but I'm not paying on a blind gamble, let alone when the rest of the world gets it defacto free using netflix or a few other services in various countries.
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

Tanooki wrote:I'll check it out bootlegged. I have no problem admitting I'll do it since CBS is playing games. I think it could be interesting, but it really depends how it plays out but I'm not paying on a blind gamble, let alone when the rest of the world gets it defacto free using netflix or a few other services in various countries.

Yep, pisses me off the U.S. has to use the stupid All Access shit to get Discovery when most of the rest of the world gets it on Netflix. All Access will only hinder Discovery's ability to get old and new fans to come to the Star Trek franchise.