Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Re: Have some of the usual members left Racketboy forums ?

by Key-Glyph Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:59 pm

noiseredux wrote:I don't know what all this "let" talk is about. My wife actually is a gamer as well. Yet, I've never played a game in the living room on the main (shared space) TV.
This is so funny to me, because we're the opposite -- it's understood that the television is for gaming; if my husband wants to watch actual TV shows or movies, I almost always leave the room and go do something else. If he's gaming, I'm usually in there and watching along. If he wants to watch TV and I really want to play a game, we usually decide that gaming takes precedence.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:00 pm

MrPopo wrote:They don't have internet in the deep south, or so I'm told.

Well, we do, but it's transmitted via an elaborate series of tin cans and fishing line. The bandwidth is very limited too, as a matter of fact I'm using all of it up right now just posting this messa
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:02 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:They don't have internet in the deep south, or so I'm told.

Well, we do, but it's transmitted via an elaborate series of tin cans and fishing line. The bandwidth is very limited too, as a matter of fact I'm using all of it up right now just posting this messa

I've heard the power generators are powered by people squealing like a pig.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Key-Glyph wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I don't know what all this "let" talk is about. My wife actually is a gamer as well. Yet, I've never played a game in the living room on the main (shared space) TV.
This is so funny to me, because we're the opposite -- it's understood that the television is for gaming; if my husband wants to watch actual TV shows or movies, I almost always leave the room and go do something else. If he's gaming, I'm usually in there and watching along. If he wants to watch TV and I really want to play a game, we usually decide that gaming takes precedence.

different circumstance of course. While my wife and I both game, we tend to have pretty different taste in games. So unless we're gaming TOGETHER, we tend to go off into our own game rooms to play our own games.

Part of this is also our sort of schedule. We have designated nights for doing stuff together and other nights where it's assumed that we'll be off doing our own thing.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:12 pm

noiseredux wrote:While my wife and I both game, we tend to have pretty different taste in games. So unless we're gaming TOGETHER, we tend to go off into our own game rooms to play our own games.

Part of this is also our sort of schedule. We have designated nights for doing stuff together and other nights where it's assumed that we'll be off doing our own thing.
Oh, so true. We're the same when all is said and done, it's just that our media types are flipped.

I work nights a few times a week, and that's when my husband catches up on what we collectively call his "murder shows," hahaha. All the non-Key-friendly stuff.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:31 pm

My Game Room is NO GIRLS ALLOWED
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:12 pm

I liked watching my brother play games back in the day.

I like to watch non-glitch, no tools speedruns of games I played because I can appreciate the skill involved.

I agree that watching games isn't very appealing in many cases though.

On the other hand, I don't particularly feel the need for the people I like to approve of my activities or how I use my free time, as long as they don't disrespect me.

I'm not sure how much more reading books can be shared, if the other person hasn't read the same book.
I guess most people in developed countries at least know how to read... But nowadays also most people, including my parents, have played a few games, even if they don't think they are gamers and don't do it to the extent we do.
IrishNinja
64-bit

by IrishNinja Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:10 pm

as far as retro forums go, this is both one of the better ones & most useful, too... a lotta places are just on about collecting, i totally use the threads on flashcart/etc info like all the time.

i personally backed off for a while (& in spurts) to help curb retro purchases, but the people here are great.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:16 pm

I try my hardest to only play games that are on the main TV. My wife and I are so busy (I teach and coach all day she stays home with the kids) that we need "non kid" interaction every evening. We sit on the couch and I usually hog the TV because she is reading or browsing the interwebs on her kindle. We hang out together and watch some shows, but when sports or game are on the TV she is right beside me reading. When we want to talk we pause our respective hobbies to do so. I rarely game in the game room, and if I do it's because the kids are watching the main TV time during our family "screen time".

As for TV around the kids, our kids only get 1 hour of screen time (DS and Kindles included) a day and 3 hours a day on weekends/non school days. Us adults follow this rule too, so 99.9% all gaming and TV watching by us adults happen after the kids are in bed.

My gaming has taken a hit because of my four kids, planning and grading for school along with a new house that needs work.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
bacteria
Next-Gen

by bacteria Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:48 am

There aren't many quality gaming or modding forums remaining indeed, members lose interest after a while as most people join to make one system not a stack of systems, and also with the advent of smart phones and tablets many use emulation rather than the real deal.

It's also like anything else, you can only read about something and research it so much before it is no longer interesting to many.

I am not as active here as used to be, no reason for that, I simply spend my reduced time available these days to modding rather than forums.
I am the Bacman
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever