The Dream Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

The Dream Thread

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Hello everyone! We all sleep, or at least have to, regardless of whether we want to or not and I thought this would be an interesting place to share what you remember of dreams that you have had.

I bring this up, because I have been having a recurring nightmare of sorts. By nightmare, I mean a projection of my fears, which are very silly.

I have been dreaming a lot lately that I have gone back to school, almost always back to high school, because in the dream I forgot to take a few classes to get my diploma. I go and take the classes, but as time progresses I slowly begin to forget about a single class and just stop showing up for it. I go to check my grades online near the end of the semester to find out that I have been given an incomplete in that missing class and I begin to panic. "How could I have screwed up like this? Does this mean I have to take another semester for just one class? My whole life plan has been screwed up by this mistake!"

The dream even references previous dreams of the same type, showing past classes I have taken, getting all A's except for a single incomplete for that semester, as if I have done this over and over and over again.

I always wake up with my heart beating out of my chest and I get insanely anxious. I can't go back to sleep for hours afterwards, which stinks since I have a baby to take care of and sleep is vital!

This dream in particular is just a manifestation of my fears of having to go back to school to get a degree and become an Ultrasound Technician. I recently got a letter about how the entrance requirements to the program have changed and it requires me to take an entrance exam. Their previous requirement was just to simply be put on a wait list that was roughly 3 years. This January would have been the 3rd year and I would have gotten in, but now that is inconsequential. The main criteria is your GPA and the results of your entrance exam, so I am put at a disadvantage in getting in since there was a 2 year gap in my schooling, whereas a fresh applicant has had no gap in their schooling when attempting to get in. They gave me all this info with a mere month to prepare for the entrance exam and it is starting to make me freak out a bit and it is bleeding into my dreams.

Anywho, don't be afraid to share your dreams. I always find them to be a fun experience and never believe they mean more than a projection of your thoughts, feelings and aspirations at the time of dreaming. A lot of people seem to think that dreams are prophetic and all that jazz and I find that to be just silly.

So what have you guys been dreaming of?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: The Dream Thread

Post by Nemoide »

Last night I had one of my super-lame dreams that I have from time to time:
I visit this comic shop that I've never been to before and find that it's FILLED with old stuff. 1980s-90s comics all over the place, videos, and even video games. I start looking at the video games and find a bunch of older (and even some imported!) shmups for Dreamcast and Saturn. They even have an American version of Space Channel 5 Part 2 that's super-affordable!
I plan on buying a big stack of games. Then I woke up.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Nemoide wrote:Last night I had one of my super-lame dreams that I have from time to time:
I visit this comic shop that I've never been to before and find that it's FILLED with old stuff. 1980s-90s comics all over the place, videos, and even video games. I start looking at the video games and find a bunch of older (and even some imported!) shmups for Dreamcast and Saturn. They even have an American version of Space Channel 5 Part 2 that's super-affordable!

I just had a dream of going to a game store and looking for Jaguar and 3DO games. Real moment, people, who hasn't had a dream about buying or selling games, if not about video games in general?
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Had to.

Last night I dreamed that my entire family went to a ski resort, and when leaving my Mother and Father's car skidded off the side of a mountain and both were thrown from the car and decapitated in the process.

Great thread.

^That's actually true. Terrible dream.

My favorite nightmare story comes from my buddy Brooks. A few of us guys were shooting the breeze and the subject of nightmares came up. Brooks got weirdly aloof and quiet, and with a blank stare he said "I've had a nightmare. I was dreaming I was in high school and fell asleep at my desk. I dreamed that while I was asleep, I farted and I woke with with the entire class laughing at me...but when I woke up I had fallen asleep, I did fart, and I did wake up to the entire class laughing at me".

Forget the kid's name, but I had a few classes with a guy who would always fall asleep during class and would always wake up in a violent spaz attack.

Now I've done the same thing before where I'm dreaming I'm falling and wake up while moving, but this guy was consistent with his waking up freak outs.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

I had a hard time sleeping last night as the baby was super gassy so she was just making lots of noises that kept me awake, but when I did sleep, I had a dream that I had to get a hair cut and the hair stylist came to our apartment to cut my hair and just grabbed a tuft and cut a tiny amount on the top. I had lost most of my hair it would seem and she left.

I went to chase her and there was a huge crowd of people outside. When I got to her, she said that I could use this magic shampoo to restore my hair, which was the exact same shampoo that I use in real life. I tell her that is what I use and she shrugged. Then another lady came up to say that she used the same shampoo and it made her look amazing! She was in her 80's and looked like it. It was weird.

Then I had another dream that involved tentacles in some way, but I rack that up to me playing Dark Souls before bedtime... silly Dark Souls.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

JoeAwesome wrote:
Nemoide wrote:Last night I had one of my super-lame dreams that I have from time to time:

I just had a dream of going to a game store and looking for Jaguar and 3DO games. Real moment, people, who hasn't had a dream about buying or selling games, if not about video games in general?

I dreamt one time I found these crappy Game Gear reproduction cartridges that were all beat up and tattered, yet I still had to get one, I think it was for T2 The Arcade Game
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

I just woke up from a crazy dream. I was a secret agent hunting down a rogue CIA agent. My partner and I were in an Eastern European nation at some restaurant confronting the bad guy. He was sitting in a booth and I was standing, my partner sitting in an adjacent booth. The bad guy had one bodyguard. I was talking to the CIA agent, telling him he was coming in with us and he refused and yelled, "What are you gonna do? Kill me? DO IT!"

I looked to my partner and said, "He gave me permission to kill him. Should I?" My partner shrugged and I pulled a gun out and put it to his head. He pulled a gun out as well and I fired. So did he. My partner shot the goon and I had a bullet hole in my gut. The CIA agent was dead.

I was in shock and didn't feel much. My hand went to my stomach and put pressure on the wound and we went out to catch a taxi. It was around 1 in the morning and he took us to a hospital.

The hospital was in a high rise building and we had to take the stairs. In the car, I realize that my breathing was strange and that my lung must have collapsed from the wound. So we took the stairs slowly and I kept thinking, "Well this isn't so bad." as I was in shock. I notice the sign for the hospital was something to the effect of the, "Not so Dead/Already Dead Care Facility," and I was confused about that. When we got there, my partner was now my wife and we had my baby with me and I nonchalantly walked up to the desk to the nurse and told her what had happened. She said that I made it just in time because everyone was going to go home because it was closing time.

She took my baby to my room and then blindfolded me and walked me to the room. My wife was like, "I wasn't blindfolded. I don't know why they blindfolded you. Seemed silly." and I told her it was because there were ghosts, ghouls and a bunch of dead people walking around. She said I was going crazy.

So I am sitting there on a stool, my baby is laying on the bed just hanging out and the nurse comes in to tell me that the doctor is on his way, all the while I am just slowly struggling to breathe.

When the doctor does arrive, he has a bunch of gold medals around his neck for his accomplishments in, American-French care, American-Russian Care, American-German Care and a silver medal in American-Norwegian care. I thought to myself, "I wonder what he screwed up on in Norway."

The doctor was complaining about the nurses not doing their job and gave me some pink liquid to drink. He told me that the bullet fragmented in my stomach and that he couldn't do much but solder the fragment to my uterine wall (weird since I'm not a woman) and that would be crazy hard so I would probably want that done elsewhere. He was happy that I had a had a collapsed lung though, because that was EASY.

That was when I woke up.

Weird.

Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Are you dreaming or writing fan fiction?

Do people have dreams about being a secret agent with a backstory?

When I dream, I'm me. Sometimes in different locations, but I'm always me*.

*Well, I have had dreams that if I ran fast enough and jumped I could leap large bounds.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Luke wrote:Are you dreaming or writing fan fiction?

Do people have dreams about being a secret agent with a backstory?

When I dream, I'm me. Sometimes in different locations, but I'm always me*.

*Well, I have had dreams that if I ran fast enough and jumped I could leap large bounds.

I was me too, but for some reason that was what I was doing. A lot of times, my dreams will put me in scenarios that are strange and different. When I was a kid, I always had nightmares about being abducted by aliens or being chased by zombies or giant ants. We lived in the country and I always remember having dreams about looking out my window to see a huge UFO out in the field.

One crazy ass dream involved me waking up from a nightmare and going to my parents who were in bed. When I pulled back the covers, they were tons of tiny little ants in the form of a human and they melted together to make a giant ant. I realized it was a dream and forced myself to jump down the stairs to wake myself up. That was a frightening dream. Stupid ants.

I seem to always remember the dreams I'm having though and they can range from being elaborate to really mundane. I have seriously had dreams where I go to work at a job and that's it.

Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

BogusMeatFactory wrote: I have seriously had dreams where I go to work at a job and that's it.

I have dreams where I mow the lawn and pick up dog shit. I wake up feeling robbed of sleep.

A few of my pals have a reoccurring dream where they are punching a mean dude, but they can't punch with ferocity.

Once asked my Father if he had a reoccurring dream, and his eyes went blank and he said "There is a white rhino... *Takes deep breath* And it chases me"... *goes back to normal and takes a bite of a hamburger*.

When I was a pre-teen, I saw my best friend after he committed suicide by shooting himself in the head with a .45. My reoccurring nightmare is seeing the same scene, but with different family members and friends.

Always the same. Same house, same furniture, , same gun, same lighting, same splattered brains and blood. I know as soon as I enter the house (in my dream) I'll see a dead body, but don't know who has been offed. I know to expect brains and blood on the floor that have a purple and brown hue to them, I expect to see an open mouth and open eyes with a pale body, but the person is always someone different.

I like what Mitch Hedberg said about dreaming,. In short, he said "I'd like to have a dream where I watch myself sleep. How peaceful would that be? Instead I'm helping my ex-landlord construct a go-cart".

I do keep a "dream journal", and if you're creative, you should too!

Sometimes while asleep I have a dream about a great joke, or maybe a "sick beat", or any music in general. I jot that stuff down as soon as I wake up as I know I'll forget it by the time I have eaten breakfast.

Successful people who compose music do the same. You hear something great in a dream and will lose it if you don't write it down, immediately.