Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean

Which one below would you like our donation to go to?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:58 pm

A Single Person / Family in need
32%
A small localized charity
41%
A small national charity
27%
A large multi-national charity
No votes

Total votes : 22
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Re: 2015 Racketboy Charity Auction Informational Thread and

by KalessinDB Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:40 am

Voted. Will definitely be checking the auction again this year. Might even have an item or two to contribute, I'll have to see.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:24 am

Ok, looks like we are going to go with:

SMALL LOCALIZED CHARITY

Please PM, or post suggestions...

...also this reminder:

-CHALLENGE TO ALL COMMUNITY MEMBERS:
Set a goal for yourself about how much you can donate and how much you can spend. Set that goal now and start working toward it. We are a small community, but we are a supporting and close community. We have a core of active members and a larger core of 2-3 times a week members. We also have hundreds of sporadic members. Let's all pull together and reach an impressive number to be donated. I am optimistic that if everyone gets involved and excited early - we can hit $5,000.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:18 am

So only twenty one members voted and it's been decided? Well, that's pretty dumb.

Keep the poll open and wait until the end of November. Members like Mr. Healthy, and even some mods haven't weighed in yet.

And yes, crawl before you walk, but besides me I don't think anyone has posted info on charitable organizations, so that needs to happen before a decision is made.

http://www.bornjustright.com/

http://www.thirdstreetcc.org/

^Both of these organizations do the same thing: help kids in need, with 100% of donations going to the kids.

Why segregate charities? Maybe vote on ONE charity, and not narrow it down by category?

I understand you are trying to get to a consensus, but no charity should be left out.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:14 pm

Luke wrote:So only twenty one members voted and it's been decided? Well, that's pretty dumb.

Of those 21...17 were posted in the first 3 days. I've been following. We got (1) vote last night, the first in over 3 days.

Luke wrote:but besides me I don't think anyone has posted info on charitable organizations, so that needs to happen before a decision is made.

We haven't asked for anyone to post info on charities prior to today. The entire point of the first vote was to narrow down our scope. I nominate The Williams Family of Hodunk, NC...I nominate The United Way. That is only going to muddy things for some and disenfranchise others entirely. KISS

Luke wrote:Why segregate charities? Maybe vote on ONE charity, and not narrow it down by category?

I don't know what this means? Are you saying a free for all? So anything nominated is eligible...you could have 50 charities nominated...who determines what makes the final cut and what doesn't. Now that we have some sense of scope it will make things cleaner and people can speak passionately about the group they are nominating.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:41 am

mjmjr25 wrote: Are you saying a free for all? So anything nominated is eligible...you could have 50 charities nominated...

who determines what makes the final cut and what doesn't. Now that we have some sense of scope it will make things cleaner and people can speak passionately about the group they are nominating.

I am. We could have well over fifty nominations and I'd prefer that. There may be an organization that I've never heard of, and I'd rather have members strongly pitch a charity. I'm all for Born Just Right, but perhaps there is a charity in greater need.

Who determines? Us.

We all don't get along all the time, but we are a solid group. An even better team when it comes to the auction. I say throw out as many ideas as possible, and although we might not agree on everything, as a group we'll say "This is where the money should go".

Need a deadline for sure, but this is a lot of work and it could be just me, but I like options. I also like to learn about different charitable organizations, be it small or large.

In short I'd like to see as many options as possible, as I know as a group we can easily come to a consensus of who the recipient of the auction will be. I want anyone here to pitch any charity. I don't want limits on how big or small an organization is.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:47 am

Luke wrote: I know as a group we can easily come to a consensus

my experience concerning pretty much anything on this forum is quite the opposite of this. :lol:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:32 am

Luke wrote: I want anyone here to pitch any charity. I don't want limits on how big or small an organization is.

No offense, but it seems like the time to raise this idea has passed. The voting shows that folks here want a small local charity to be the recipient. Any "pitches" should go that route.

I am going to suggest that we donate to The Women's Center here in Bloomsburg, PA. They serve the community with an abuse shelter, counseling services, and local outreach for all of those (women, men, and children) who have suffered some form of violence/abuse.

Unfortunately, they are constantly behind the eight ball for revenue streams. For example, I learned last week that there wasn't even enough in their budget to provide coffee for the residents and workers of the shelter (I then brought over a bunch), that their food pantry is regularly close to empty, and that they may be forced to lay off some staff or reduce the number of victims they admit because of hold ups in state budget talks.

In full disclosure, I have personal reasons that I'd like to donate to the Center... suffice to say I know very well the importance of the work they do.

I'd ask that we please consider them.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:57 am

dsheinem wrote:No offense, but it seems like the time to raise this idea has passed. The voting shows that folks here want a small local charity to be the recipient. Any "pitches" should go that route.

I am going to suggest that we donate to The Women's Center here in Bloomsburg, PA. They serve the community with an abuse shelter, counseling services, and local outreach for all of those (women, men, and children) who have suffered some form of violence/abuse.

Unfortunately, they are constantly behind the eight ball for revenue streams. For example, I learned last week that there wasn't even enough in their budget to provide coffee for the residents and workers of the shelter (I then brought over a bunch), that their food pantry is regularly close to empty, and that they may be forced to lay off some staff or reduce the number of victims they admit because of hold ups in state budget talks.

In full disclosure, I have personal reasons that I'd like to donate to the Center... suffice to say I know very well the importance of the work they do.

I'd ask that we please consider them.

No offense taken.

Perhaps the boat has sailed; I'm trying to project the idea that no one should feel limited to mention or suggest certain charitable donations. If Noise posted "My best friend Jimmy has Pancreatic cancer, and his family is in desperate need for financial aid", I believe that Jimmy should be an option for a recipient.

Everyone should be able to chip in and say "Consider this...". That's my brass tacks.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:25 am

Still looking for some more suggestions for charities...

Also, another reminder, please start saving money and setting aside cool donation items. We'll be making calls for items in less than a month!
marlowe221
Next-Gen

by marlowe221 Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:00 pm

I'm sorry but can someone explain how the auction works? I didn't realize this was going on!

That said, I vote for Dsheneim's charity. I have done some legal work for a local women's abuse shelter and I know first hand how much they struggle financially.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever