2015 Racketboy Charity Auction Informational Thread and Poll

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean

Which one below would you like our donation to go to?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:58 pm

A Single Person / Family in need
32%
A small localized charity
41%
A small national charity
27%
A large multi-national charity
No votes

Total votes: 22

mjmjr25

2015 Racketboy Charity Auction Informational Thread and Poll

Post by mjmjr25 »

Greetings,

The following thread is the kick-off to our 2015 Racketboy Charity Auction...

Smaller, localized charities are now up for nomination - please PM or post in the thread. There will be a poll after the nomination period - nominations ARE OPEN.

The Charity Nominations:
Born Just Right: http://www.bornjustright.com/
Third Street Community Center: http://www.thirdstreetcc.org/
The Women's Center: http://thewomenscenterinc.org/
Able Gamers: http://www.ablegamers.com/
Extra Life (part of Childrens' Miracle Network Hospitals): http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?

Items:
-Items need not be gaming related.
-Consider shipping costs vs. value of item. One nice / light item will benefit the charity more than 5 heavy / low value items.
-Pictures are helpful - send them to me when I call for items.
-There is no limit to the number of items you can donate - though if something is very low value / interest it may not be accepted for risk of cluttering the auction.

Timeline:
-Items will be called for in early NOVEMBER with a warning cutoff shortly after Thanksgiving and a HARD cutoff on DECEMBER 1st.
-Auction will begin on DECEMBER 2nd and will run through 11PM EST, SATURDAY, DECEMBER 26th.
-Auction will have a grace-period end. If an item has a bid in the last 3 minutes, that item will be extended an additional 3 minutes. EXAMPLE: Item #44 gets a bid at 1059, it is auto extended until 1102, if another bid at 1101, it is extended until 1104. There will be a HARD end at 1130 for any item with ongoing continuations.
-Payment for items will be due by 3 weeks after auction end. All items should be shipped within 5 weeks of auction end. Firmer dates pending.

Make it Unique:
Items that do the best year to year are: one-off, rare, or otherwise not readily available items...or at least not readily available at the current auction price.

Make it Personal, Get Involved, and a Challenge:
-Call on friends to get involved
-Advertise in your signature on different sites
-Start talking about it now
-PM friends to see what they're putting in
-Set aside an item or two now and forget about it - you'll have a cool item when the time comes
-Set aside $50, $60, or $300 now for bidding purposes - planning now will ensure you have the availability to bid when the time comes
-CHALLENGE TO ALL COMMUNITY MEMBERS:
Set a goal for yourself about how much you can donate and how much you can spend. Set that goal now and start working toward it. We are a small community, but we are a supporting and close community. We have a core of active members and a larger core of 2-3 times a week members. We also have hundreds of sporadic members. Let's all pull together and reach an impressive number to be donated. I am optimistic that if everyone gets involved and excited early - we can hit $5,000.
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: 2015 Racketboy Charity Auction Informational Thread and

Post by Luke »

Any of the options are fine with me.

May I suggest:

http://www.thirdstreetcc.org/who-we-are.html

Great place, great kids.

If no one is objected to the idea, I'd love if we could remove the word "charity" from the auction.

Instead of:

"Racketboy charity auction for Make a wish foundation"

use

"Racketboy auction to support the Make a wish foundation"
BigLou
8-bit

Post by BigLou »

What a lovely gesture. I went with local/family in need, as I have seen the corruption involving larger 'charities' first hand.

I've got a fair bit of video game, toy, and pop culture stuff, and Ebay is always an option, as well.

Just a side note: You mentioned RB being a "supporting and close community"....this probably explains why I've been showered with greetings and welcomed into the fray so warmly since joining days ago!
:P

All jest aside, I'm down 100%. :)
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Vote cast.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

vote cast as well, let's do this!
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

vote cast. look forward to participating again this year!
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

Count me in.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

The new guidelines are very well thought out. I'm happy it's continuing this year. Vote cast! Of course I am always happy with the decision the community makes. I have another box of hardware ready and I'm going to ask friends for unloved gaming stuff again. I see some consoles gathering dust in the corners of basements that need new homes.

I urge members to keep in mind the size and weight thing. There were a couple of previous auctions where the shipping was more than the donated items made for the charity (that means I could've sent the shipping cost to the charity and kept the items and more money would've gone to those in need). Derp!

It's all in good fun and I always have a blast - Let's make this one great!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

Post by marurun »

Keep in mind that using tools like Charity Navigator you can review a charity's efficiency and priorities of money spent.

My wife and I both donated older cars to Our Lady of the Wayside (a regional org with homes for adults with MRDD) this year.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Pm'd this, but also wanted to share:

For your consideration as a recipient:

http://www.bornjustright.com/

Love this foundation. I've spoken with "Miss Iowa 2013" and we could auction autographed pictures of her that would certainly bring in some dough.

-------

This is a foundation that knows where both it's brain and heart are.

This is a foundation that doesn't children who are different, but celebrates them.

This is a foundation that is more about "happy" than "help".

Please consider Born Just Right as a recipient of our fundraising auction. The money goes directly where it is needed, and I also have some "nub buds" who can make the auction our highest donation to date.