Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
jp1
Next-Gen

Re: Broaden your cinematic horizons: By force!

by jp1 Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:46 pm

I'm happy to go with popular opinion. Whatever gets the most people interested.

My personal preference is to get this thing personalized in some way. I feel like it is harder to make a suggestion that fills the gap in everyone's cinematic experience than something for just one or two people.

On the other hand it might be wise to offer a few slots weekly that selected members could fill up. Then we could share what we took away from it collectively.

I'm down either way. What say you fellow Racketeers?

Also, if someone wants to offer a more approachable thread title, I'm happy to oblige. "By force" was a joke, but it probably doesn't fit well with what we are doing here.

EDIT: I also updated the main post with a few movies I might recommend, since that is different from my personal top ten. I think we should probably offer both with a distinction between the two. This way people could see our personal tastes, as well as a list of some stuff we might be inclined to "offer up" so to speak.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:13 pm

I'm gonna just throw this out there, anyone interested in some of the best Asian martial arts and action movies of the past two decades

1.Ong-Bak: Muay Thai Warrior and The Protector - Tony Jaa
2.The Raid
3.The Raid 2
4.Chocolate (2008) - If you want to see a female Tony Jaa. The final action sequence is amazing
5.District 13 - Some amazing parkour sequences
6. Kill Zone - S.P.L. - Donnie Yen and Samo Hung
7. The Man from Nowhere
8. Kill Bill Volume 1 - Not really Asian but worth seeing
9. Black Dynamite - Same as above
10. Ip Man (2008) and Ip man 2 - The second one is like an Asian take on Rocky
11. Kung Fu Hustle (Then check out Shaolin Soccer)
12. Fearless (2006 film) - Jet Li's last wushu film
13. Oldboy
14. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
15. House of Flying Daggers
16. Hero (2002)
17. Shaolin (2011) - Possibly the last truly great performance from Jackie Chan takes place in this film
18. The Rouruni Kenshin live action film trilogy
19. 13 Assassins

And for something light hearted and family friendly, Kung Fu Panda is quite good

Ack probably has plenty other recommendations
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:16 pm

How about this...I will send some video game stuff to the first "128-bit" or "next-gen" member to watch five of the movies on my list and post his or her thoughts on each in this thread.

Rules: (1) you must be a "128-bit" or "next gen" member domiciled in the continental United States to participate; (2) you can't write about movies you saw before June 19, 2015; and (3) you have to wait at least 24 hours before posting your thoughts on each movie.

The movies are:

1. This Is Spinal Tap
2. Freaks
3. Repo Man
4. The 5 Deadly Venoms
5. The Harder They Come
6. Grey Gardens
7. Withnail and I
8. They Live
9. Barbarella
10. Walking and Talking

The first person to post about five movies and send me a PM gets a complete copy of Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits for the Nintendo DS. The runner-up gets two Atari 2600 games of my choice. Third prize is your'e fired.
jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:42 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:How about this...I will send some video game stuff to the first "128-bit" or "next-gen" member to watch five of the movies on my list and post his or her thoughts on each in this thread.

Rules: (1) you must be a "128-bit" or "next gen" member domiciled in the continental United States to participate; (2) you can't write about movies you saw before June 19, 2015; and (3) you have to wait at least 24 hours before posting your thoughts on each movie.

The movies are:

1. This Is Spinal Tap
2. Freaks
3. Repo Man
4. The 5 Deadly Venoms
5. The Harder They Come
6. Grey Gardens
7. Withnail and I
8. They Live
9. Barbarella
10. Walking and Talking

The first person to post about five movies and send me a PM gets a complete copy of Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits for the Nintendo DS. The runner-up gets two Atari 2600 games of my choice. Third prize is your'e fired.

You need to turn that list up to 11.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:47 pm

jp1 wrote:You need to turn that list up to 11.

Agreed.

1. This Is Spinal Tap
2. Freaks
3. Repo Man
4. The 5 Deadly Venoms
5. The Harder They Come
6. Grey Gardens
7. Withnail and I
8. They Live
9. Barbarella
10. Walking and Talking
11. The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:37 pm

If I'm going to make a list I'm going to have to wade through literally thousands of titles to make a separate one for each sub-genre. Too much hassle. :lol:
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:44 am

So, no opinions on how to proceed? I will update the first post with some type of structure in the next couple days if nobody chimes in. I would really appreciate some suggestions, this way more people might be interested in joining in.

I think it is important to distinguish that this isn't about whether or not you are a "film buff". This is simply a way to experience new things. There is no place for snobbish elitism about film choices. The whole idea was prompted by Ack's post about what he takes away from what is considered by most to be bad cinema. I felt like maybe my snap judgments had me missing some gems. In that way, this thread could almost be considered a "Hidden Gems" thread, even if the suggested movies are A+ titles that someone has managed to overlook.

This is to say, everyone who is interested in movies should have something to offer. Mike, if we are missing that Dane Cook charm...queue up his greatest hits. I'll sit through at least a couple of them. :wink:

Noise, dude, I really wanted you in on this. I'm sure some folks would really appreciate some of your more obscure horror suggestions. I know I would.

I'll be checking out a couple of the posted suggestions this week and leaving my thoughts here, however, I'd like to get some structure going that offers a more personal experience for everyone.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:03 am

Fine fine, Ill post a few that yall most likely have not seen:
Nattvards Gästerna - int. Winter Light (1963)
To start out with one of the best shot films of all time. Yes it is black and white, and yes it is in Swedish (though Criterion added an English track), but this is the second of Ingmar Bergman's the Silence of God trilogy. Bergman teamed up with his buddy Sven Nykvist (aka the best cinematographer of all time), and they had a church built in the country side. Then spent a month cataloging where the sun hits the building every day. Then shot the film almost completely with practical lighting, large reflectors, and wax paper screens - if it was raining, they canned the day and came back the next.
The story is quasi autobiographical of Bergman and largely forgotten (the only way to buy it now is in a four pack of Bergmans films via Criterion, link below), but if you watch it for its technical aspects it is jaw dropping today, let alone in 1962.

http://www.amazon.com/Bergman-Trilogy-T ... B0000A02TX

Searching for Bobby Fischer - int. Innocent Moves (1993)
Steven Zaillian directorial debut, shot by Conrad Hall, based on the book by Fred Waitzkin. It is a true story that follows a young boy, Josh Waitzkin (Max Pomeranc) as he learns about chess and becomes one of the best junior players in the US. Josh starts by playing speed chess in Washington Square Park with a local hustler Vinnie (Lawrence Fishburn), until his father (Joe Mantegna) hires a very strict instructor from a local Chess club, Bruce Pandolfini (Ben Kingsley). It shows the rise Josh in a way that is intimate and uplifting. You see the hurt in Josh's eyes when he makes mistakes, you feel scolded when Bruce yells, and you cant help but love Vinnie. To top it all off, there are numerous master and grandmasters of chess with cameos. Even the real Waitzkin family and Pandolfini. Even if you know nothing about chess, it is an amazing film about a child's life, and how his family handles the nourishment of his gift.

http://www.amazon.com/Searching-Bobby-F ... 6305910340

Door to Door (2002)
Directed by Steven Schachter, shot by Jan Kiesser, is a made for TV movie based on the life of Bill Porter (William H. Macy), a door to door salesman for Watkins incorporated who had cerebral palsy and refused to go on disability. Now I am a hardcore William H. Macy fan, he is one of the kindest people I have ever met, but his portrayal of Bill Porter brings a tears to my eyes every time. The pain, the anger, the love, all told in a way that is simply criminal that it is a movie that most people will never see. The story does have some slow points (Kyra Sedgwick), but Macy carries it in such a way that it is moving on a different level. This is not like anything you have ever seen him in, or like any other made for TV Movie from that decade. Even the man it was based on cried when watching it.

http://www.amazon.com/Door-William-H-Ma ... 007TBJUVI/
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed May 03, 2017 12:06 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:Nattvards Gästerna - int. Winter Light (1963)
To start out with one of the best shot films of all time. Yes it is black and white, and yes it is in Swedish (though Criterion added an English track), but this is the second of Ingmar Bergman's the Silence of God trilogy. Bergman teamed up with his buddy Sven Nykvist (aka the best cinematographer of all time), and they had a church built in the country side. Then spent a month cataloging where the sun hits the building every day. Then shot the film almost completely with practical lighting, large reflectors, and wax paper screens - if it was raining, they canned the day and came back the next.
The story is quasi autobiographical of Bergman and largely forgotten (the only way to buy it now is in a four pack of Bergmans films via Criterion, link below), but if you watch it for its technical aspects it is jaw dropping today, let alone in 1962.

This week I started diving into Bergman's work - something I've really never done beyond The Seventh Seal. I just finished up this film as I am watching the trilogy, and I would agree with everything you said here. I thought that Through A Glass Darkly (which I watched this weekend) was beautiful, but Winter's Light topped it in almost every way. I can't wait to watch The Silence.

Also, looking back a few pages I see that Ack worked on getting Filmstruck off the ground, which has been my new obsession this year. Ack - any news on when the PS4/X1 version of the Filmstruck app is coming out? Also, out of curiosity, what is/was your role with the service?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed May 03, 2017 12:31 pm

dsheinem wrote:This week I started diving into Bergman's work - something I've really never done beyond The Seventh Seal. I just finished up this film as I am watching the trilogy, and I would agree with everything you said here. I thought that Through A Glass Darkly (which I watched this weekend) was beautiful, but Winter's Light topped it in almost every way. I can't wait to watch The Silence.

Also, looking back a few pages I see that Ack worked on getting Filmstruck off the ground, which has been my new obsession this year. Ack - any news on when the PS4/X1 version of the Filmstruck app is coming out? Also, out of curiosity, what is/was your role with the service?

When watching the Silence, do not compare it to Winters Light. The move to spiritual issues as the core concept is a detraction for many viewers, though I am sure it will not mar your opinion. The cut 10 minutes featured several nude scenes that always felt off to me (I do not know if the Filmstruck version has them). But those 10 minutes are what brought nudity to the forefront in Swedish film.

As for Ack working on Filmstruck, he cant talk about most of his work with it. Likely he was NDAed. I can assume, having worked on projects somewhat similar, he likely handled metadata for the backend for search engine optimization.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever