Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
jp1
Next-Gen

Broaden your cinematic horizons: By force!

by jp1 Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:35 pm

I have an idea based on the differences of taste in the "Last movie" thread.

You pick a playlist for someone who is missing out on all the good stuff you love, they watch from the list and we discuss here. Maybe limit it to something realistic like five or ten movies. I think it would be a fun exercise to try and introduce fellow Racketeers to movies they don't (but should) love.

Perhaps we could all post a top ten list, then based on this we could vote on who gets paired off with who to gain the most from the exercise.

I would love a horror suggestion from Noise, and I'm sure Ack could throw me some different flavored bones, I'd love to see Luke and Dave in on this too. I'm game for anything I haven't seen that has something good to offer. Just because I didn't call you out doesn't mean I forgot about you, if you actively review films and consider yourself a movie buff, please join.

Let's do this with an open mind and an empty heart....err, wait. Well, you know. Who wants to play?

My top 10 (No order):

Tale of Two Sisters
The Devil's Backbone
Oldboy
I Saw The Devil
Nightmare on Elm Street
Night of the Demons 2
Can't Hardly Wait
Good Will Hunting
Grindhouse
A River Runs Through It

These are some I might recommend:

1. Let the Right One In
2. Byzantium
3. Road to Perdition
4. Straw Dogs
5. Kalifornia
6. Beautiful Girls
7. Gone Baby Gone
8. Case 39
9. Big Bad Wolves
10. The Host

So, that could probably be revised about a hundred times. I tried to diversify a little, otherwise it would be almost entirely Horror. Grindhouse is cheating a bit, both in that it is actually two movies and that those two movies encapsulate a huge genre of films, but that's why I love it.
Last edited by jp1 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ack

Re: Broaden your cinematic horizons: By force!

by Ack Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:49 pm

Is this just for you, do we challenge specific members, or is this more a general "Must See" list of films we love? Is it ok to include movies that others have on their lists, or should we try to avoid that from happening?

Figure I ought to ask. Seems like it could be an interesting idea. A general challenge of 10 will do, though I figure if you start asking specific folks to watch something, you might cut it down a bit.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:02 pm

Yeah, I like this idea. Make it a shorter list of say 3 movies. People sign up and then get randomly paired with other people and have to watch the films on their list!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:06 pm

Ack wrote:Is this just for you, do we challenge specific members, or is this more a general "Must See" list of films we love? Is it ok to include movies that others have on their lists, or should we try to avoid that from happening?

Figure I ought to ask. Seems like it could be an interesting idea. A general challenge of 10 will do, though I figure if you start asking specific folks to watch something, you might cut it down a bit.

For everyone, and however folks like to do it. Just an idea. I had that onslaught of questions coming though. ;)

I was thinking it could be folks paired up. Perhaps by popular vote based on who might have the more interesting suggestions for each member.

Maybe a general list with one or several members contributing weekly, then we can all discuss, book club style?
Ack

by Ack Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:33 pm

Ok...in that case, I guess I will go ahead and make a list, and we can figure out where to go from there.

1. Come and See
2. Tetsuo: The Iron Man
3. When the Last Sword is Drawn
4. Bad Day at Black Rock
5. Pickup on South Street
6. Army of Shadows
7. Haxan
8. The Long Goodbye
9. Ichi the Killer
10. There's Nothing Out There
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:00 pm

I gave myself a film education in the 90s and early 00s by watching the AFI 100 list, and doing so provides a hell of a baseline to really enjoy nuance across most any other genre or period in the history of cinema. That's maybe not what you are looking for, but I tend to give that as a standard advice to anyone who wants film recommendations. I suppose if you just want 10, the top ten from that list last time they did it (2007) are:

CITIZEN KANE
THE GODFATHER
CASABLANCA
RAGING BULL
SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
GONE WITH THE WIND
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
SCHINDLER'S LIST
VERTIGO
THE WIZARD OF OZ

So if you haven't seen any of those, get on it. Really, though, the whole list is ace.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:16 pm

Its an interesting idea, but I just can't help but feel we'll end up with a bunch of the same movies unintentionally. Still an interesting idea, but I think it'd be hard for me to pull a top 10 list or anything like that that isn't half movies already suggested.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:57 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Its an interesting idea, but I just can't help but feel we'll end up with a bunch of the same movies unintentionally. Still an interesting idea, but I think it'd be hard for me to pull a top 10 list or anything like that that isn't half movies already suggested.

No matter, if there are multiple suggestions we will have even more reason to check them out.

The suggested watching doesn't necessarily have to come from your list of favorites, that is simply to let others get some idea of what you like to help them make suggestions for you.

I might suggest different movies to Noise than I would to Dave for instance. Based on their disagreement about NOES 1 vs NOES 2, amongst other things.

The more I think about it, I sort of like the idea of nominating one or multiple members each week to make the suggestions. This way we could all experience a melting pot collectively and discuss the merits together.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:03 pm

I suggest people perhaps keep in mind whatever they can dig up on youtube that has evaded deletion, Netflix streaming plan, Crackle, or something else that'll be of no cost to help broaden interest while still somewhat narrowing the field of suggestions a bit.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:20 pm

If you come up with ten to list, but you eventually only use three, that'll make those kinds of problems less of an issue.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever