Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: That cyberpunk thread

by Exhuminator Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:43 pm

Jurassic Park the novel is worth reading. It goes much deeper into the sci-fi and character development than the movie does. But that's to be expected I guess.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:46 pm

I like all the chaos theory shit in the book.
chuckster
32-bit

by chuckster Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:31 pm

Xeogred wrote:Has Phillip K Dick ever written an actual novel? Or is it just all short stories? Is there some anthology/set of all his work out there.

I'd say novellas are a better descriptor, some of his stuff is over 150 pages at least. I recommend the Library of America collections as really nice collections of several works in a nice format, but if you prefer Kindle and such it'd be easy to find his stuff cheap/free. It's interesting to see the genesis of so many movies and TV series in his stories, even if his reach as a speculative thinker was greater than his grasp as a writer sometimes.

Dune is one of the best Sci-Fi books I've read, I highly recommend it. The sequels turned my stomach though.

Exhuminator wrote:Neuromancer is a terribly written book full of amazing ideas.

I thought Gibson's earlier work "Burning Chrome" was much better.

+1 on Neuromancer, I would recommend Cliff Notes or a Wiki synopsis for those curious about it. There is better Sci-Fi you could be reading.

I will have to check out Burning Chrome. I loved most of Mirrorshades when I checked it out at random from my HS library back in the day (it stuck out like a sore thumb there).
Ack

by Ack Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:29 am

Xeogred wrote:Has Phillip K Dick ever written an actual novel? Or is it just all short stories? Is there some anthology/set of all his work out there?

I'm not liking what I'm hearing about Neuromancer here haha. I don't really read at all and that was one my planned books to get to at some point, and maybe giving Dune another shot.

While Dune isn't cyberpunk, it is spectacular. As for Dick, his most notable "novel" is probably Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I admit that I find it intensely goofy, but Dick had some marvelous ideas. The offspring of his work is wonderful.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:07 am

PKD will probably remain my all-time favourite author. And unlike Gibson and Asimov, his fiction is actually enjoyable. There's a new game drawing heavily from PKD's "milieu" in fifties Berkeley, if you're into that sort of thing. http://videogamer.com/reviews/californium_review.html
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:30 pm

Not sure Deus Ex: Human Revolution is cyberpunk (I think it is) but regardless, that game has the most interesting and best cyberpunk ceilings I've ever seen.

http://m.imgur.com/a/FDAbV

*mobile link
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:15 pm

casterofdreams wrote:Not sure Deus Ex: Human Revolution is cyberpunk (I think it is) but regardless, that game has the most interesting and best cyberpunk ceilings I've ever seen.

http://m.imgur.com/a/FDAbV

*mobile link

Haha, thanks for that.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:43 am

No problem! I am in the middle of a second run and I find myself looking up.
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

by grittykitty Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:10 am

just finished reading "do androids dream of electric sheep?" for the second time (the first being 5 years ago) and i enjoyed it a lot. sure it's dated by today's standards, but i guess that's the "noir" quality kicking in. also watched "a scanner darkly" last week and enjoyed it a lot. a lot easier to read than "neuromancer", though i need to read more gibson stuff before i write him off.

currently reading a shadowrun novel by carl sargent. would really love to play shadowrun returns (which i downloaded via steam a year ago while it was on sale) but my computer is too old to run it at more than 4 fps... i guess my own cyberpunk technology is obsolete and needs to be "retired"...
Let's TRADE! : check my BST thread
Ack

by Ack Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:34 am

grittykitty wrote:just finished reading "do androids dream of electric sheep?" for the second time (the first being 5 years ago) and i enjoyed it a lot. sure it's dated by today's standards, but i guess that's the "noir" quality kicking in. also watched "a scanner darkly" last week and enjoyed it a lot. a lot easier to read than "neuromancer", though i need to read more gibson stuff before i write him off.

currently reading a shadowrun novel by carl sargent. would really love to play shadowrun returns (which i downloaded via steam a year ago while it was on sale) but my computer is too old to run it at more than 4 fps... i guess my own cyberpunk technology is obsolete and needs to be "retired"...

If you haven't gotten the chance, go check out the Genesis and SNES Shadowrun games. They're totally worth playing and will definitely help scratch that itch...or do just the opposite and inflame it the way it did with me. It put me on a kick that lead me to beat both Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and now I'm weighing considering when I'll run through Shadowrun: Hong Kong.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever