Coffee:Whats your favorite brand/type

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
SoloTek
8-bit

Coffee:Whats your favorite brand/type

Post by SoloTek »

I have been drinking a boatload more coffee since I began my residency and have tried a few brands between offices. Most recently I have become hooked on Eight O'clock 100% Colombian (Ground):

Now I drink my coffee straight black and this full of flavor and is smooth. A well rounded brew and worth a try.

I also like to brew up some Starbucks Sumatra for the really rough days when I need a kick in the A!$:

And last but not least I really dislike Folgers Breakfast Blend. In my opinion this has no flavor (not rich enough). And taste to watery, not able to get a consistent pot. Will never buy again:

Do you have any tips/methods to share on brewing a good pot of coffee. I know my grandpa added broken eggshells to cut the acidity of coffee. Check it out : http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/535116
Flake

Re: Coffee:Whats your favorite brand/type

Post by Flake »

I drink anywhere between five cups to two pots a day. Lately, I am very partial to Dunkin Donut's "Turbo Dunkin". It's up to snuff on flavor and it's got a really nice jolt of caffeine.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

I'm not a coffee snob in the least and I pollute my coffee with both milk and sugar but of the things I keep trying randomly from the grocery store I like the Dunkin French Vanilla and keep going back to it. I'm using a single cup French press and I'm wildly inconsistent with how long it brews as I start it right before I start work and often get distracted. I think my worst ever was letting it sit for an hour before I got back to it. Aside from just being tasty to me, it is very forgiving when I let it sit for longer than I should.
Flake

Post by Flake »

The thing about the French Press is that you never apply more heat to the grounds than you do when you first pour the water in. So the amount of flavor released from the grounds during steeping declines rapidly. There's not that much of a difference between a pot that sits for five minutes than there is from one that sits for half an hour, minus the lost heat, of course.

Once it sits long enough that water starts evaporating, the taste will change but that's a different process.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
8BitMagic
16-bit

Post by 8BitMagic »

Coming from Seattle and now in the Bay Area I have to say that my favorite is Stumptown followed by Blue Bottle and Ritual but there are so many more I love.

Stumptown got me into french press so I suppose I am forever indebted, also their roasting philosophy of never roasting anything even close to a dark roast blew my mind when I discovered how could coffee could be (but a little on the spendy side).

I'll admit I can be a little snobby about coffee now but I'll still get a cup at Starbucks if they have a Clover machine on hand.
SoloTek
8-bit

Post by SoloTek »

Now I dont have a coffee maker at my home but I have been thinking about getting one. So I guess this leads to a new subtopic.

Should I get a Standard Coffee maker we are all used to seeing, Pour over, or French Press? I went to school with a girl who used a French Press and loved it.

And I have heard good things about Dunking Donuts Coffee so I think next time we need coffee in the office I will pick up a bag. Unless I buy a coffee maker before then to use at home. Thanks for the info thus far!
8BitMagic
16-bit

Post by 8BitMagic »

SoloTek wrote:Now I dont have a coffee maker at my home but I have been thinking about getting one. So I guess this leads to a new subtopic.

Should I get a Standard Coffee maker we are all used to seeing, Pour over, or French Press? I went to school with a girl who used a French Press and loved it.

And I have heard good things about Dunking Donuts Coffee so I think next time we need coffee in the office I will pick up a bag. Unless I buy a coffee maker before then to use at home. Thanks for the info thus far!

Get a press pot! (Hobie-wan check this out too)
http://stumptowncoffee.com/guide/press-pot/

I just got an infrared thermometer but that isn't necessary ;D

You can get an 8-cup bodum press at Starbucks for $20 and usually they hook up a cup of coffee with the purchase, a deal considering the press replacement glass is more 8)
Last edited by 8BitMagic on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

Most coffee just ends up tasting like burnt tongue to me.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I hate Dunkin Donuts coffee. Even with no sugar or cream, it tastes sweet. That's fucked up.

I usually drink Eight O'clock Coffee (french vanilla), but that's becasue I don't have regular access to any premium coffee that's worth a hoot.
SoloTek
8-bit

Post by SoloTek »

8BitMagic wrote:
SoloTek wrote:Now I dont have a coffee maker at my home but I have been thinking about getting one. So I guess this leads to a new subtopic.

Get a press pot! (Hobie-wan check this out too)
http://stumptowncoffee.com/guide/press-pot/

I just got an infrared thermometer but that isn't necessary ;D

You can get an 8-cup bodum press at Starbucks for $20 and usually they hook up a cup of coffee with the purchase, a deal considering the press replacement glass is more 8)

Cool site link and the press seems like a good deal also. Lets see what other say.