Hip Hop/Rap Fanatics Unite!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
muhanad
64-bit

Re: Hip Hop/Rap Fanatics Unite!

Post by muhanad »

noiseredux wrote:
muhanad wrote:I would have to disagree with you on that :D

not an argument. Just saying, I'm 32 and been obsessed w/ hip hop since I was about 14 or so. So not a contest. Just saying that my prior experience here is I'm a bit more... well 'versed' than most? 8)

Not tryna make it a contest. Just messin around :)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

muhanad wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I just don't like defending "taste." I think that's lame and stupid and pointless. I like what I like. And often I feel that needs to be justified somehow which is dumb. I like b-movies, Lindsay Lohan and lots of hip hop that many folks don't agree with. But I feel like it often turns into a discussion. "WHY do you like this? Justify it." But why?

Well were just having friendly disscusion. I think its fun to talk about what I'm into and why. Who do you like that people don't agree with? I'm interested to know :?:

oh I don't know. My tastes change constantly. I mean, "all time favs" and "current favs" are very different.

Um.. fav hip hop album of all time would be Midnight Marauders.

First concert was The Roots in 1996.

Fav dudes pumping out albums now? Jay-Z, Kanye, Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky, Lil Wayne, Ghostface Killah, MF Doom...

I'm everywhere. I adore Southern hip hop. I grew up on Easy Coast. Have a soft spot for West Coast. Went thru an indie hip hop phase. Everything is all good to me.
muhanad
64-bit

Post by muhanad »

dsheinem wrote:We do chat about hip hop a good bit in the regular music thread...I personally am not a fan of all these spin out threads as I feel it kills a big part of the point of that thread.

So yeah, I probably will stick to the main music thread :?

I agree, but I mostly just want to chat about rap, im not that interested in other stuff that much.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I think I get to post in the metal thread AND this thread because Rage Against The Machine is my favorite band. :lol: No?
muhanad
64-bit

Post by muhanad »

noiseredux wrote:Fav dudes pumping out albums now? Jay-Z, Kanye, Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky, Lil Wayne, Ghostface Killah, MF Doom...

I'm everywhere. I adore Southern hip hop. I grew up on Easy Coast. Have a soft spot for West Coast.

NO LOVE FOR NAS??

I agree with a lot of those. Except Lil Wayne, can't stand him. And only like Kanyes old stuff.

I like all regions of rap too.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

muhanad wrote:NO LOVE FOR NAS??

OMG that was the beer talking. Yes. Huge Nas fan. Actually Life Is Good was one of my fav ablums last year. Been following him CLOSELY since Illmatic. And to me, the whole Nas v Jay-Z beef was one of the most compelling chapters in recent hop hop memory w/ Blueprint-era vs Stillmatic-era. Incredible.

Lil Wayne to me is compelling in a crazy self-destructive way. Though Carter II is a straight classic you cannot doubt.

Kanye, I disagree w/ you on. His first half was good, but later albums are way more adventurous and artistic.
muhanad
64-bit

Post by muhanad »

noiseredux wrote:
muhanad wrote:NO LOVE FOR NAS??

OMG that was the beer talking. Yes. Huge Nas fan. Actually Life Is Good was one of my fav ablums last year. Been following him CLOSELY since Illmatic. And to me, the whole Nas v Jay-Z beef was one of the most compelling chapters in recent hop hop memory w/ Blueprint-era vs Stillmatic-era. Incredible.

Yes! Nas is my favorite rapper. Life is good was great and sadly underrated. Jay and Nas was the last good beef. Now all beef is retarded and corny.

HOW DOES NAS NOT HAVE A GRAMMY?
muhanad
64-bit

Post by muhanad »

I cant listen to Wayne. No lyrical ability at all in my opinion. I feel like im losing brain cells.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Yup, Nas is def underrated. It's the whole Illmatic complex. It was so good and so solo that every album is compared to him. Life Is Good was amazing though. Def my favorite since at least Hip Hop Is Dead.

RE: Lil Wayne, the problem is the flood of output. He has no edit button. So he floods the market. You gotta dig thru the shit to get the gold. It's a lot of work, and only fans who were there say pre-Carter 3 are gonna make that effort. Not that I blame them. His newest album is like 19 tracks and a handful are awesome and the rest are tedious. It's a challenge. He's hip hop's Guided By Voices.

EDIT: if you haven't heard Tha Carter II and Dedication 2 you owe it to yourself as a hip hop fan though. Throw any preconceptions about him out the window and just enjoy. That was back when he cared and wasn't an addict.
muhanad
64-bit

Post by muhanad »

noiseredux wrote:EDIT: if you haven't heard Tha Carter II and Dedication 2 you owe it to yourself as a hip hop fan though. Throw any preconceptions about him out the window and just enjoy. That was back when he cared and wasn't an addict.

I can't. I listen to rap for lyrics. Not corny mainstream singles. Even if i didnt care bout the way he raps, I dont like what he raps about. In old and new songs. See: go dj, fireman. Old and ass.

Not tryna convince you, just sayin. If you like him thats great.