Hip Hop/Rap Fanatics Unite!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Hip Hop/Rap Fanatics Unite!

Post by noiseredux »

muhanad wrote: I listen to rap for lyrics.

you might be doing it wrong, bud. :lol:

(Joking, but also not - I used to feel the same, when I was much younger. Now it's Beats/Rhymes/Life. Meaning, there's diff facets for diff moods.)

go dj, fireman.

I enjoyed both at the time.
muhanad
64-bit

Post by muhanad »

noiseredux wrote:
muhanad wrote: I listen to rap for lyrics.

you might be doing it wrong, bud. :lol:

(Joking, but also not - I used to feel the same, when I was much younger. Now it's Beats/Rhymes/Life. Meaning, there's diff facets for diff moods.

No, I think you misunderstood me. Beats and other parts of music are very important. But I only like songs that have all that. Not beats and good production with weak lines and talking about stupid shit.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

nah dude, you're misunderstanding what I'm saying - if most rappers put out say 15-20 tracks a year he's dropping like 50+ so you gotta dig thru the shit. If you're not willing, then you're missing the good stuff. But like I said, he's dropped more bad than good since 2008. Carter II, Dedication 2 and (to a lesser degree) Carter III were all solid.

I'm just saying don't write him off based on radio play.

If you're not into him, that's fine. Just don't write him off.

See? Me = defending. I hate that shit. haha.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

noiseredux wrote:Just saying, I'm 32 and been obsessed w/ hip hop since I was about 14 or so. So not a contest. Just saying that my prior experience here is I'm a bit more... well 'versed' than most? 8)

Most but not all :D
I worked with Johnny Z (JDeville of N2DEEP, Young Dru, Scapegoat Wax), Bone Thugs N Harmony, and produced beats and promos for Dugout Records back in the day.

I'm old school. I started listening in 86, focused on the bay area underground in the mid 90's, and now listen to most everything 1997 and older... unless it's local CLE/Ohio hip-hop.

Last night during game 7 of the NBA finals I had the mixer out and made a 60 minute Cleveland mix (continuous and beat-mixing) to help me get over watching LeBron win another championship after he spurred the Cavs.

Like Noise, I don't like to talk Hip-Hop because many people don't really get Hip-Hop. In the end hip-hop, like Luke and KRS One said, is a culture and everyone has a different and unique take on it. I let the rappers battle it out, it's their job not mine instead it's my entertainment.

Favorite Group: Hieroglyphics
Favorite Producers: Khayree & Ant Banks
Favorite Lyricist/MC: Rakim
Favorite Album: N2DEEP's The Golden State & Eric B and Rakim's Follow the Leader

If anyone wants to sample a ton of great hip-hop check these out: http://www.itstherub.com/radio.htm
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
muhanad
64-bit

Post by muhanad »

Nah its all good. We can agree to disagree. But compared to everyone else I listen to, he doesnt compare.
[quote="SpaceBooger"]

Like Noise, I don't like to talk Hip-Hop because many people don't really get Hip-Hop. In the end hip-hop, like Luke and KRS One said, is a culture and everyone has a different and unique take on it. I let the rappers battle it out, it's their job not mine instead it's my entertainment. [quote]
Thats true, but friendly discussion is always great :)
Last edited by muhanad on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. SB - that's phonephone that you worked with some of those dudes. I'm in awe.

2. As Mos Def said: "We are all hip hop - you, me, everybody."
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

muhanad wrote:Nah its all good. We can agree to disagree. But compared to everyone else I listen to, he doesnt compare.

lol, again it's not a contest my dude. If you want to make this a convo I stick in let's agree to agree and not rank anyone's taste over anyone else's.
muhanad
64-bit

Post by muhanad »

noiseredux wrote:
muhanad wrote:Nah its all good. We can agree to disagree. But compared to everyone else I listen to, he doesnt compare.

lol, again it's not a contest my dude. If you want to make this a convo I stick in let's agree to agree and not rank anyone's taste over anyone else's.

I keep being misunderstood lol. Not tryna rank taste. Just sayin my opinion, Im sayin agree to disagree about liking him. In my opinion, I wouldnt enjoy listening to him but thats just me. Its all good :D
Onikage
16-bit

Post by Onikage »

My favorite rapper is Big L. His lyrics are really clever, funny, messed up, and he was probably the first one to bring blasphemy and satanism into rap. Too bad some asshole shot him before he was able to put out more than one album. Some other rappers I like are Notorious BIG, Onyx, Ill Bill, Wu tang clan, and the Japanese group Dragon Ash.
muhanad
64-bit

Post by muhanad »

Love Big L. Arguably best freestyler of all time. The WU is def my favorite group of all time.