80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Re: 80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I love hair metal. It was the first type of metal I was introduced to, so that may have had something to do with it.

I like a lot of the bands, as long as we cut out Cinderella. I'm not a Cinderella fan.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

ouch, cinderella was one of my favs.
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Post by Metal Jesus »

stickem wrote:ouch, cinderella was one of my favs.

Cinderella had 3 truly great songs in the 80s, which makes their Greatest Hits cd worth owning in my opinion:

"Shake Me"
"Coming Home"
"Somebody Save Me"

Love those songs :)
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

BurningDoom wrote:Back to the original subject:

What are some of you're guys' favorite hair metal bands?

I'm a HUGE hair metal band. I'm a fan most things 80, and hair metal is no exception. They were some of the first bands to influence my musical tastes. Watching them on MTV for hours on end as a kid.

Some of my favorite hair metal bands:

-Alice Cooper (Not really hair metal, but he had a hair metal phase, and that phase was a good era for Cooper)
-Bon Jovi - My guilty pleasure hair metal band. They were the band that girls went goo-goo for, but I still enjoyed as well.
-The Bullet Boys
-Cinderella
-Guns N Roses (This band transcends hair metal and is just a great rock band in general)
-Motley Crue
-Ratt
-Skid Row
-Tesla
-W.A.S.P. - Blackie Lawless is the motherfucking boss!

I do like the 80s thrash scene as well. There seems to be this animosity between the 2 where most fans like 1 but not the other. I've never had that issue. I love em both.

I was a huge Guns n Roses fan, never thought of them as hair metal though. But honestly, I didn't even know what hair metal was back then. It was all rock music to me in those days, even when I started listening to Metallica. I started really understanding what the word metal meant years later when I started listening to In Flames I think

I was never a big Motley Crew fan until Dr. Feelgood, which a cousin of mine got me listening to. Aside from that album though, I never got into them. I never really got into hair metal in general. Probably due to me not being a white dude and thus not be able to actually have long hair :lol:

Metallica was the only metal band I listened to back in my younger days. Again, not really knowing what metal actually was (and having no concept of what thrash or hair metal was) I didn't know what it was about Ride the Lightning, Kill em all, Master of Puppets, and Justice for All that made me love hearing those albums over and over again instead of a lot of other popular rock music of the time. The so called hair metal bands didn't appeal to me much, except Guns n Roses

I did eventually get into other rock bands in my younger days like Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Queen, etc. but as far as metal goes, it was all Metallica all the time for me for years(including the black album, which I liked). That was the only metal I listened to before I even knew what real metal was. After Metallica started to lose their way though, I eventually(took a few years)discovered stuff like In Flames, Iced Earth, and other real metal bands (as opposed to "nu metal" that was on the radio) and started to feel that magic I got from listening to early Metallica albums again. So the hair metal era is something that I largely ignored despite being an eighties kid
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Metal Jesus wrote:

Cinderella had 3 truly great songs in the 80s, which makes their Greatest Hits cd worth owning in my opinion:

"Shake Me"
"Coming Home"
"Somebody Save Me"

forgot "nobodys fool" prolly my favorite.

that rings true for most hair metal bands during that time. it was hot from 85-90 with 100 bands having one hit wonders or one good album, then the scene disappeared for 95% of them. but they ruled the mtv charts during that time.
Last edited by stickem on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ack

Post by Ack »

So what did you guys think of Twisted Sister?

Personally, I always thought their image and version of hair metal was so outrageously over the top that they were practically making fun of it. And yes, I do like Twisted Sister, and have ever since the movie Flight of the Navigator.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

AppleQueso wrote:
The punk/metal rivalry died down a lot when Motorhead hit the scene and kinda bridged the gap. Punk and Metal have flirted a LOT over the years, it's the whole reason we have the various extreme metal and punk genres now.

Which thankfully led us to these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbrtS8E0kpY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMk-qJ7c_R8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7sIqyoRFiU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zauhY34JVzo

I fucking love this band
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Before I noticed this thread I've had Cum on Feel the Noize stuck in my head for a week.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

Metal Jesus wrote:

"Shake Me"
"Coming Home"
"Somebody Save Me"

For sure. "Somebody Save Me" is one of the best tunes to come out of the 80s.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

stickem wrote:i miss hair metal, good times. i'm a sucker for rock ballad solos. never really thought about it but i guess the crue is lumped into that sub genre? almost sounds negative to say motley crue= glam rock.

Motley Crue is like the definition of a hair metal band. Big hair, make-up, rebellious attitudes, fast guitar driven metal with high-pitched vocals, and living in drug-induced excess.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter