All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:38 am 
Offline
64-bit
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:48 am
Posts: 429
Location: Seattle
Image

http://youtu.be/cfMr1n-uFh0
(YOUTUBE VIDEO)

80s Hair Metal, Glam Rock & Pop Metal bands sure used a lot of hair spray & played a lot of widdly widdly guitar! But that's why we loved it. My wife & I show you some of our favorite 80s Hair metal bands from our youth gone wild.

What are some of your favorite 80s Hair Metal Bands or albums?

Image

_________________
Image
http://www.YouTube.com/MetalJesusRocks


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:47 am 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:18 pm
Posts: 1731
Location: Austin TX
Joe Satriani is not hair metal.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:54 am 
Offline
64-bit
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:48 am
Posts: 429
Location: Seattle
indecks wrote:
Joe Satriani is not hair metal.


In high school, I considered his first three albums in the same vein as hair metal. His blues based song structure, guitar acrobatics and videos all looked the part.

_________________
Image
http://www.YouTube.com/MetalJesusRocks


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:50 am 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:18 pm
Posts: 1731
Location: Austin TX
Except he wasn't.

He was instrumental hard rock. He's currently... well, shit but Not of this Earth, Surfing with the Alien, Dreaming 11's one studio song and Flying in a Blue Dream are all instrumental rock, save for the songs that he sings on.

The Extremest leaned closer to the metal side with War, Motorcycle Driver and Summer Song, but they were still essentially hard rock. Not metal, and most definitely not hair metal/glam rock.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:57 am 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 17672
I love the chemistry between you and your wife. Totally perfect for each other.

The panty and boob showing insert of AFDestruciton was something all of my 4th grade friends wanted to get their hands on. That, and the uncensored Poison Open Up and Say Ahh! cover. Still not sure if that was only a publicity stunt to increase album sales.

Good stuff man, and I'll leave you with this:

Was Hair Metal more a fashion statement or a genre of music? I think the line is a bit blurry.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:03 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:24 pm
Posts: 12639
Luke wrote:
Was Hair Metal more a fashion statement or a genre of music? I think the line is a bit blurry.


Bit of both kinda.

The underground metal scene of the time hated it. You can find a lot of interesting stories about stuff like that.

_________________
A lot of people kinda missed the memo and I keep having to correct folks so I'll just stick this info here:

I'm a girl and Zelda isn't an RPG.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:05 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:26 pm
Posts: 4280
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Europe's "The Final Countdown" is the best hair metal album of all time. The first lyric of every song is:

"OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!"

which is sung "soft & sensitive" on tracks like "Carrie" and "tough & awesome" on tracks like "Cherokee". The lyrics to songs like "Ninja" and "The Final Countdown" are so fantastically cheesy that they are anything but parody. (Honestly, I could not write funnier lyrics...and Europe wasn't even trying!) Moreover, it is basically the soundtrack to the criminally under-rated film "Hot Rod" and is just a tremendously fun album. It is very, very highly recommended.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:21 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:24 pm
Posts: 12639
indecks wrote:
Except he wasn't.

He was instrumental hard rock. He's currently... well, shit but Not of this Earth, Surfing with the Alien, Dreaming 11's one studio song and Flying in a Blue Dream are all instrumental rock, save for the songs that he sings on.

The Extremest leaned closer to the metal side with War, Motorcycle Driver and Summer Song, but they were still essentially hard rock. Not metal, and most definitely not hair metal/glam rock.


Most hair metal/glam rock wasn't really metal to begin with either. Lumping Joe Satriani into that group seems a little odd to me too, but eh, not gonna fuss about it.

_________________
A lot of people kinda missed the memo and I keep having to correct folks so I'll just stick this info here:

I'm a girl and Zelda isn't an RPG.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:26 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
 Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:22 am
Posts: 2658
AppleQueso wrote:
Luke wrote:
Was Hair Metal more a fashion statement or a genre of music? I think the line is a bit blurry.


Bit of both kinda.

The underground metal scene of the time hated it. You can find a lot of interesting stories about stuff like that.

I think there was a fair bit of talking about beating up hair metal guys in the thrash metal part of the "metal evolution" documentary series. As far as I know there was a similiar thing going on about 10 years before that in England between punk and heavy metal fans, many metal musicians despised punk and the whole punk culture. Naturally punk and hair metal were hated for very different reasons.

_________________
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:39 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:24 pm
Posts: 12639
Menegrothx wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
Luke wrote:
Was Hair Metal more a fashion statement or a genre of music? I think the line is a bit blurry.


Bit of both kinda.

The underground metal scene of the time hated it. You can find a lot of interesting stories about stuff like that.

I think there was a fair bit of talking about beating up hair metal guys in the thrash metal part of the "metal evolution" documentary series. As far as I know there was a similiar thing going on about 10 years before that in England between punk and heavy metal fans, many metal musicians despised punk and the whole punk culture. Naturally punk and hair metal were hated for very different reasons.


Lots of songs about it too, and it wasn't just limited to angry thrash bands singing about "killing posers" and whatnot. Fates Warning - Valley of the Dolls is pretty critical of the whole hair metal thing for example, and there's Manowar's popularizing of phrases like "Leave the Hall!" (well that came a bit later but still). Basically they all thought the whole hair metal thing was too flamboyant, too poppy, too watered down, too "fake", etc.

The punk/metal rivalry died down a lot when Motorhead hit the scene and kinda bridged the gap. Punk and Metal have flirted a LOT over the years, it's the whole reason we have the various extreme metal and punk genres now.

_________________
A lot of people kinda missed the memo and I keep having to correct folks so I'll just stick this info here:

I'm a girl and Zelda isn't an RPG.


Last edited by AppleQueso on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], J T and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: