Anyone Collect or Still Listen to Vinyl?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
vatermuzik
64-bit

Re: Anyone Collect or Still Listen to Vinyl?

Post by vatermuzik »

I ordered an Audio Technica ATLP120 the other day. I've really been wanting to get a decent table and with some birthday money having just come my way, I figured I'd take the plunge now. I'll be trading in my current Numark table towards it as well.

Everybody I spoke with recommended this as a solid deck. I'll feel good about having the new warranty on it as well. Apparently, the cartridge it comes with is also quite good, which was a big factor for me as I didn't want to shell out another $50-$100 for one of those.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I finally got a better preamp!

My first stand alone turntable had a built in preamp and my AVR has no phono input, so when I upgraded to a better table I had no way of playing it. I picked up this cheap one for $15 because I couldn't afford anything better at the time. It got the job done, but that was about it. It has no ground connection, so I had to run a ground wire from my table to a chassis screw on my AVR (which worked). It was a pretty crappy preamp though. It didn't bring the level up loud enough, so I'd have to turn up the volume on my AVR above what's normal for any other source.

I've had this ART phono preamp on my Amazon wishlist ever since. The price has always been floating around $50. I noticed it was $40 the other day, so I decided to nab it. I got it in the other day and hooked it up right away. I haven't had a chance to give it some proper use, but from quick testing it works great!

The only downside is it's marketed toward pro audio use, not home use. The biggest drawback is that it's missing an on/off switch (you'd have it auto power on with a mains or something in a pro audio setup) so that can be kinda annoying. Knowing this, I ordered this along with it. It's still kinda annoying to have to reach behind and find a power switch, but better than having to plug and unplug it to turn it on and off. The only other kind of annoying aspect of it is the power on LED. It's a SUPER BRIGHT blue (check some of the costumer images). That's great of dim lit areas, where you might be DJ'ing, but not so good for home use. It can be blinding. But reviews say it's an amazing preamp for the price, so I'm not complaining!
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Recent purchases:

Lorde Pure Heroine

RHCP Blood Sugar Sex Magic

G N R, Appetite for Destruction

Tribe Called Quest, Low End Theory

...and a few more I can't remember.

Lorde's Pure Heroine is fantastic. I love, love, albums that are actually one long song, and this is exactly that.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Luke wrote:RHCP Blood Sugar Sex Magic

Old or new?

I see some RHCP albums new on Amazon (new pressings, I'm assuming). I really wanna grab Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication... but I'm kinda scared about Californication. The original CD release is mastered just awful. I wanna grab the vinyl release, hoping that it's mastered "normal" but will be very disappointed if it ends up sounding like shit.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Ziggy587 wrote:

Old or new?

I see some RHCP albums new on Amazon (new pressings, I'm assuming). I really wanna grab Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication... but I'm kinda scared about Californication. The original CD release is mastered just awful. I wanna grab the vinyl release, hoping that it's mastered "normal" but will be very disappointed if it ends up sounding like shit.

New, double album with some boner, er, bonus tracks. I paid over $30 for it because it's one album that has basically been a part of my life since middle school.

I already have four CD's of the album, but I prefer vinyl. No hipster vibe, I simply enjoy "setting up shop" and listening to a record. There's also something funny about running to the record player after a side is over. "Holy Crap! Someone flip the record!"

Californication is one song, over and over, but it's a good one. Too lazy to search if Rick Rubin produced it, but I would guess he did, which is always a great thing. Sounds great on wax, but the only thing is that after a while it becomes clear it's a make out album. Which isn't bad. Santana built an incredible career out of writing make out music, but Cali is best listened with a "friend" as it sounds like all of the peppers just got out of rehab (some did).
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

https://dubmood.bandcamp.com/album/lost-floppies-vol-1

Nice LP of chiptunes, for those of you who don't use the neo-geo forums.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
puke_face

Post by puke_face »

Give it away FTW.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Ordered this:

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/04/454307946 ... e-universe

It's a mix of a love letter to Lennon, McCartney, Tom Petty, The Strokes, Pink Floyd...etc. It's incredible.
Lazer
64-bit

Post by Lazer »

puke_face wrote:

Give it away FTW.

John Frusciante on heroin FTW
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Lazer wrote:
puke_face wrote:

Give it away FTW.

John Frusciante on heroin FTW

When I saw them live, at one point Frusciante sat down "Indian style" and just started to do his own thing. The solo was nearly twenty minutes and was the best part of the concert.