Anyone Collect or Still Listen to Vinyl?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Re: Anyone Collect or Still Listen to Vinyl?

Post by GSZX1337 »

skate323k137 wrote:Re: cleaning, for dry/occasional dusting I use the DAK brush. That thing is amazing.

I've looked at the DAK website and am wondering what sets this brush apart from the others? Does it do something or is it just a good brush? Either way, I'm thinking of getting one to go with my wet brush. If I'm happy with those, I'll use 'em until I can afford the Record Doctor.

skate323k137 wrote:
Bremaine wrote:I have always wanted to start purchasing vinyl, but I haven't even bothered to do it it. Maybe one of these days when I have enough money to spend.
:(

Dollar bins man, dollar bins. If you're lucky enough to have local vinyl shops, the bargain bin is a great place to start.

I have a couple places that have $0.99 used vinyl. I've found that most places that sell vinyl period have a discount bin for used stuff.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

The DAK is just a good all-around dry brush. It's extremely effective at pulling dust out of grooves even on clean looking records.

I usually wet clean records when I get them (if they're not new), then do a quick dry clean if I haven't listened to them in a while.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I'll get one of those brushes when I get another check or two. I saw there were similar brushes for less money, but I thought I'd just spent a bit more for the DAK brush.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
vatermuzik
64-bit

Post by vatermuzik »

Hello. I just started getting into vinyl. I'm definitely not a hifi snob but as a musician I very much appreciate the added musical qualities of a good vinyl setup...and I like collecting cool stuff... :)

Currently, I'm using a cheap belt drive Numark USB turntable that my dad gave to me. It's not terrible but definitely not great either. I'm running it through a recently acquired Sanyo 2300K receiver that I scored for $10 at a thrift store :D . Now that I have a decent amp/receiver I'll be looking to upgrade my table. My old Sony speakers seem to sound just fine so I'll stick with those for the time being.

Most of my records have been found at garage sales and thrift stores for anywhere between 25 cents and $3 each but I'm sure I'll be hitting the actual record stores at some point as I delve into this hobby further.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

^ Don't sweat not having a killer expensive set up. As long as the music sounds good enough for you, then your set up is fine. Snobs can be snobs if they want. For me, it's all about listening to the music and enjoying it. Not worrying about how it could sound better.
vatermuzik
64-bit

Post by vatermuzik »

Ziggy587 wrote:^ Don't sweat not having a killer expensive set up. As long as the music sounds good enough for you, then your set up is fine. Snobs can be snobs if they want. For me, it's all about listening to the music and enjoying it. Not worrying about how it could sound better.

Yeah, I'm certainly not gunning to have the best setup. I would genuinely like to have a better table though. I'm looking an Audio Technica clone of the Technics SL1200. I'd obviously love an actual Technics but I'm not willing to pay the going rate for a used model. The $10 Sanyo amp I got actually sounds really good too. :)
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

I use a Technics SL-D2 deck myself. The turntable was manufactured in the early 80's, but you can get a lot more bang for your buck by spending the same amount of money on a nicer old unit than a mid-range new one. Unless USB functionality, etc. is important to you then that's the route I'd go. Also pay attention to the cart/stylus models.
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Sometimes putting the word out there and patience is enough. There's always gonna be someone some where that has a nice old turntable, and sometimes you can even get it for FREE. Just bring up to your friends and family that you want a nice table, and I'm sure eventually some one will go "Oh, I have one in my basement!"

My first stand alone table was a newer Sony. It was belt driven with a built in pre-amp, which was really nice because by the time I needed a stand alone table I didn't have a receiver with a phono input. The belt needed replacement, the platter was spinning too slow. When I got my new table, I gave it to a friend. I gave him links to buy a new belt and a new needle, and now he's fully enjoying that table.

I got lucky from putting the word out there. After mentioning something to a co-worker, he told me that his son was selling some stuff. Turned out his son was a wanna be DJ that was selling all his stuff. He had a nice set up, 15" JBL loudspeakers, Crown power amp, etc, and two Numark tables. I bought both tables off him (one for my mom, one for myself) for about $50 each IIRC.

So yeah, you gotta put the word out there. You might have an uncle, a friend of a friend, etc, that has a nice old table that they're willing to part with. And usually for cheap, if not free.
marurun

Post by marurun »

My wife has a Sony turntable tucked away somewhere. I'm sure it's a lower cost model, but we have so much stuff we don't have any room to set it up anywhere.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

collecting vinyls have been dancing around in my mind for the longest time now... until my wife gave me the .."if youre going to collect old music stuff now, then your retro games collecting has to stop" .. damn it.

well she has a point, both are no cheap ventures. wont be able to financially anyhow. on the bright side, i feel almost content with my retro games collecting. just a few key items and id be set. then i can move on to vinyl collecting :lol: