Books!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: Books!

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Just picked up/ started The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero. Got it signed too, there was a showing of the Room at the Texas Theater last night and he was there. I keep on getting new signed books every time I go there, that theater is gonna turn into my book club lol.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Has anyone read Benighted (AKA The Old Dark House)?

Clue has been one of my favorite movies since a young age. I saw Clue before ever seeing (the original) House on Haunted Hill. There were so many similarities between them. Years later, I learned of the 1932 movie The Old Dark House. It seems a lot of things took inspiration from this movie. Well, I finally watched it the other night. It's like if The Old Dark House and House on Haunted Hill had a child it would be Clue LOL.

Anyways, I just learned of the original source, the book Benighted. It doesn't look like a long read, under 200 pages. I may wait for a stormy night to read it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:Has anyone read Benighted (AKA The Old Dark House)?

Clue has been one of my favorite movies since a young age.
Anyways, I just learned of the original source, the book Benighted. It doesn't look like a long read, under 200 pages. I may wait for a stormy night to read it.

I love Clue so much. Such a nutty cast. Poorly received in its day, but well-loved these days. I'll have to stick that book on my list.

The book was published in 1927 and copyrighted with the US for that year. So January 1, 2023 it will be officially in the public domain in the US even if it was published initially with a proper copyright notice and was renewed after 28 years. Since I don't have a first edition I cannot confirm whether or not it is in the public domain now, but as of January it should be. Just a matter of seeing if anyone has scanned it to Gutenberg by then.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Neat! I wouldn't mind adding it to my Kindle, even if I have a physical book of it.

I found a hardcover of it on Amazon for not too much and it had a nice cover so I decided to pick it up. I had decided not to purchase books at full retail price anymore, except when there's no other choice, but I'm a sucker for nice covers.

Apparently this book was out of print for a while, making it kind of hard to get a hold of (especially before the age of eBooks). Also, the movie The Old Dark House was considered lost for a while. At least until Universal got up off their asses and found it in their vault (after repeated requests to do so).
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

We talked about the post-Flemming Bond novels a while back, in another thread. I've been curious about them. I stumbled upon an eBay lot of 8 Bond novels by Gardner for $15 shipped. Even with tax, that's only $2.03/ea. Cheaper than most thrift stores! And they're all in great shape. In fact, two of them are in unread condition. It's 8 of the first 9 Bond novels by Gardner. He wrote 16 Bond novels between 1981 and 1996, so I figure they really can't be bad otherwise they would have dropped him. And at this price, I don't mind the gamble. Now if I can just find them time to finish up the Flemming novels, I can get to these ones LOL.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ziggy587 wrote:We talked about the post-Flemming Bond novels a while back, in another thread. I've been curious about them. I stumbled upon an eBay lot of 8 Bond novels by Gardner for $15 shipped. Even with tax, that's only $2.03/ea. Cheaper than most thrift stores! And they're all in great shape. In fact, two of them are in unread condition. It's 8 of the first 9 Bond novels by Gardner. He wrote 16 Bond novels between 1981 and 1996, so I figure they really can't be bad otherwise they would have dropped him. And at this price, I don't mind the gamble. Now if I can just find them time to finish up the Flemming novels, I can get to these ones LOL.

I have all of those…but I haven’t read any of them! I think his first one is the best, but I’ve read they’re all pretty OK.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Just finished the Disaster Artist! Fantastic read, absolutely hilarious. Actually goes into the history of Tommy Wiseau's actual origins, and the source of his income that funded "The Room" which was really cool- Tommy is notoriously secretive and lies about his age/where he's from.

Going to pick up "I'm Glad My Mom Died" by Jeanette McCurdy once my check hits I think. Haven't read this much in years.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Just got another Crichton book that I never heard of. State of Fear. But for 99 cents, I can't pass it up.

I noticed today in a local thrift store that a lot of paperback books are now 99 cents. I might have to check that one out more often!
marurun

Post by marurun »

You know, there’s this thing called a library. They’re pretty awesome.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ziggy587 wrote:Just got another Crichton book that I never heard of. State of Fear. But for 99 cents, I can't pass it up.

Literally the last book I finished, as I'm still Crichtonmaxxing.

Pretty interesting novel about climate science and eco-terrorists that goes in a completely different direction than what I anticipated. I'm gonna read Airframe next.