Books!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: Books!

Post by Ack »

Oh man, you've only read Crichton at his worst! In general, his work declined in the last decade of his life. Timeline is where things start going downhill in my opinion. Jurassic Park is a better representation of the author at his peak, but the books he released under his own name are almost all amazing! I haven't delved into the stuff he wrote under the penname John Lange, but I need to get around to it.

If you enjoy technothrillers that involve a bit of sci-fi, go with The Terminal Man. Historical fiction, read The Great Train Robbery or Eaters of the Dead. Medical drama, Andromeda Strain or A Case of Need. Detective novels, Rising Sun or Airframe. Honestly though, read his earlier output! There are so many gems!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I really think I've read Chrichton's Next or Prey, but need to go back & read the book jacket previews to confirm.

Will check those out. This forum continues to introduce me to games, books, & movies... I've finally come to realize I'll never finish them all :lol:

Just had my first run in with a sand worm in Dune...

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

If you want Crichton at his peak, watch Runaway (1984) starring Tom Selleck, Gene Simmons, and Kirstie Alley. Crichton wrote and directed it - like Westworld! - won’t be disappointed by its amazing cheesiness. My wife and I watched it the other day, and we’re still talking about it. :lol:
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

This might be the year that I finally crack the cover on the Witcher games. So in preparation for playing the games, I started reading the books at the beginning of the year (using the reading order suggested here). It might just be that it's been a while since I've read any sword & sorcery fantasy lit, but I've really been enjoying these books. So far I've read The Last Wish and I'm half way through Sword of Destiny. Sapkowski has a great sense for pacing, characters and world building. What's interesting though is that the authorial voice can shift a bit from book to book depending on the translator. That's not to say that I've had any huge issues with the translations although the particular translation of Sword of Destiny I'm reading (this one) occasionally contains some odd word choice and phrasing. All the same, I'm enjoying these books immensely and look forward to continuing on in the series.

As a gamer who enjoys sword & sorcery stories I definitely give this series high marks (so far). Recommended.
salt_and_pepper

Post by salt_and_pepper »

I usually say something like 'I have no favorite book, all of them are interesting". But there was a book which impressed me most of all. 'Deathworld' by Harry Harrison has all I need - interesting plot with unexpected moments, space theme and mystery. Every hero cannot be called good or bad - they are alive and different.
I would like to see a film telling the same story or play a game.
If you are fan of science fiction, sure you'll like the book.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Finished "Hocus Pocus & the All-New Sequel", which adapts the original 1993 Disney film, as well as offering a sequel set 25 years later.

In the sequel portion, Max and Alison's daughter Poppy and her friends scramble to thwart the recently-resurrected Sanderson sisters as the two clash over an artifact that could grant the witches immortality.

I recommend it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Why do you recommend it? What about it is good?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

Post by Ack »

marurun wrote:Why do you recommend it? What about it is good?

It's based on a Disney film, and it's REPO?
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I wrote the post in my phone, so obviously I couldn't post a full-blown essay. Basically I liked it because I liked the film Hocus Pocus.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

So I finally went back and finished Dune. No spoilers:

My opinion probably won't be popular... It was okay. I enjoyed the universe and see how it was groundbreaking at the time, but I thought the pacing was pretty rough. I'd have a hard time recommending it to anyone other than hardcore sci fi fans, looking for a past novel to appreciate. Even then it is politics, religion, and ecology long before it gets into any sci fi heavy elements. These aren't underlying themes, they're at the forefront, like taxes in Star Wars Episode 1 :lol:. In all seriousness, not bad but not what I was expecting.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5