Books!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Books!

Post by REPO Man »

I've read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz before. I actually had a copy that I was gonna read it to my nieces and nephews (it had the original W. W. Denslow illustrations FYI), but it was ruined in a flood.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Finished Junji Ito's Frankenstein. It adapts the story of the same name, though this only comprises the first half of the volume which has more Ito stories.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I picked up Joe Hill's NOS4A2 while on vacation to read on the plane, but it has left me feeling mixed. Hill's style is close to Stephen King, and I go from sentences that are brilliant to descriptions that flat out annoy me, sometimes in the same page. As a result, it's a slow read.

Once it's done though, more military sci-fi!
marurun

Post by marurun »

Who is A2 and why do they want more nitrous?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Stephen King's sons write very much like their father. It's kinda funny.
Ack

Post by Ack »

marurun wrote:Who is A2 and why do they want more nitrous?

Everyone wants more nitrous, though it's actually read "Nosferatu".
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Recently finished Smashed, a Junji Ito anthology featuring 13 weird and horrifying stories, including a story of the same name about a bizarre yet delicious nectar whose imbibers risk a terrible fate if noticed while eating it.

I also finished Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass, an interesting take on the iconic DC character, here a fifteen-year-old who ends up living with an aging drag Queen and befriends Ivy, a strong-willed young woman who, like many Gothamites, are fighting gentrification, and a charismatic anarchist named The Joker. This bittersweet coming-of-age story touches on many timely topics, such as rampant inequality in a system that favors the powerful few and the looking threat they lose to a seemingly powerless many, who like in real life either try to change the system to benefit all or bring it down.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Just finished Junji Ito's Uzumaki, a lengthy horror story about a town cursed by spirals.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Ages ago I snagged an old Are You Afraid of the Dark book entitled "The Tale of the Sinister Statues" by John Peel, though Peel would eventually bow out of the series.

Inspired by the television series of the same name, each book in this YA series tells a different horror story in the AYAOTD mold.

And Sinister Statues is typical AYAOTD fare, here focusing on a nerdy bookworm who teams up with his spunky little sister to save their friend who disappears on a museum trip after getting caught by a creepy professor trying to deface a Greek statue.

I literally breezed through this in a matter of minutes, not unlike the Goosebumps books of my youth whose success Nickelodeon sought to capitalize on by turning their successful horror franchise into books (albeit ones not adapted from the show, save for a novelization of Cutter's Treasure).
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Just finished The Accident by Diane Hoh, which is part of the Point Horror series of YA horror novels.

In it a teenage girl named Megan discovers a ghost in her mirror shortly after three of her friends are in a terrible accident. The ghost asks to trade places with Megan, but when Megan agrees she begins to regret her decision, especially when more horrifying occurrences happen.

And it turns out that the Point Horror series is getting an adaptation for HBO Max.