It seems everything i do on here is wrong. (confusion)

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: It seems everything i do on here is wrong.

Post by Erik_Twice »

I don't have anything against you though it's true that running your posts through a text processor so it ends up cleaner would make them far more readable.

So ideally you would try to clean your grammar a bit and keep posting :) Win/Win
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

dsheinem wrote:The SUBSTANCE OF HIS ARGUMENT was reminiscent of that made by almost every pro legalize person I know. Any inferences about grammar in my statement are entirely your own, friend.

If you say so, I'll believe you, but if you look at the context of the post, that statement was right there in the middle of several other people ridiculing him on account of his grammar, and there was no differentiation made to indicate that your post intended otherwise. It at least seems as if you're going right along with the others, although, it is true, you never explicitly say so.

Regardless, it was still highly annoying that those others spent so much effort on ignoring the substance of his argument and only nitpicked at his "grammer".
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

o.pwuaioc wrote:Regardless, it was still highly annoying that those others spent so much effort on ignoring the substance of his argument and only nitpicked at his "grammer".

Then again, saying "grammer" is highly annoying on itself :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Not touching opicuwac's post with a ten foot poll.

Cookie, it's only the content you post that really matters. "genesizz rulz" is the same as "The Sega Genesis is quite more than magnanimous". But some people will skip posts if the post doesn't seem to be a coherent thought.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Bad grammar doesn't make you a bad person, it just makes it harder for others to understand you. It forces them to put extra effort and good will into how they interpret your writing. Some are more touchy about having to do this than others.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Luke wrote:Not touching opicuwac's post with a ten foot poll.

:roll:
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

noiseredux wrote:I've never had any problems with your posts, cookie monster.

Yeah, same here, this topic confused me.

For the record though, making an attempt to use proper grammar will make your posts much easier to read and make your contributions more worth while. I generally ignore posts with terrible grammar no matter what forum I'm on. I don't understand why anyone would purposely ignore punctuation either...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

What JT, Luke and brunoafh said... but I've been wanting to say this for a while. Not to cookie personally, but just in general. People that don't type correctly don't see a reason why they should. I would like to explain why, if I may.

cookie monster wrote:It seem that i bother others on here because of some things i do.
I don't spell very well or use punctuation i apperently reply at the top when i quote
things and alot of people think i am a dude i am sorry if i offend anyone with my simple child like ways it is who i am i joined here so i could learn more about things i enjoy and to be able to chat with like minded people i have had many good times on here and a few bad times so with that all being said feel free to exspress your thoughts with what else i am doing wrong here

First off, take this as constructive criticism and nothing else (don't be offended). And this goes for every one, not just you. Sorry if it seems like a long read, but please try and read it all. I'm only trying to help.

Your entire post that I quoted consists of exactly two sentences. If you don't see anything wrong with that, let me try to explain. We're all here on this forum to communicate, that's pretty much it. Our only way of communicating on this forum is through text, that's all we have. So that being the case, it is imperative that we try type as correctly as possible.

No, I'm not the spelling police. Mario as my witness, I'm probably one of the worst spellers on this forum. But there's a little thing called spell check that's built into most web browsers these days. When you're posting, words that are incorrectly spelled will have a red line under them, right-click those underlined works and you'll be presented with suggestions for the correct spelling. It's really a simple thing to do, and it helps out a lot. You're on the internet, there's no real excuse to spell words wrong unless you're too lazy to fix them.

No, I'm not the grammar police either. I probably don't have the greatest grasp of grammar here, but I strive to be correct and to learn how to be correct. If you ever read any of my posts, especially the longer ones, I'm sure it's easy to pick out my grammar mistakes. I'll often not stay in the same tense. But English is my first language. How well I know the language is a reflection of me. I've been alive for almost 25 years now. If I haven't bothered to learn the difference between 'your' and 'you're' by now, what does that say about me as a person? I like posting on this forum, and I plan to be alive for a while longer, so I might as well try and learn my first language better.

But really, if you're unwilling (or whatever?) to make an attempt at grammar, is it really too hard to use a period or a comma every once in a while? You're entire post was pretty much one giant sentence. Spelling and grammar aside, no punctuation makes it very hard to read. It takes us longer to read a post like that then if it was typed out correctly. Picture THIS post with no periods or commas... can you see how difficult it would be to understand? Periods and commas exist for a reason! Don't use them for yourself, you know what you're saying. Use them for the people reading your posts! They're the ones that have to understand what you're saying, try to make it easy for them.

Now I'm all for posting how you talk in real life. I use a lot of slang and combine words with apostrophes even when they're not legal conjunctions. If that's how I talk to my buddies in real life, why not convey my attitude online the same way? But how you post, is that really how you talk in real life? No offense trying to be made here, but when one types like that, one comes off like a 3rd grader. Like it or not, that's how it sounds. We don't know what your voice sounds like, we don't know what your face looks like. We have no body language to help. All we know are the words you type. This is why it's important to make an effort at typing this up properly.

And again, I'm really just trying to help. Please don't take this offensively. This is what it is. If you don't feel the need to use a period every once in a while, that's your own shortcoming. I've explained why it's annoying. It's not that it just rubs people the wrong way or something, it's just straight up annoying to read a post with no punctuation. Don't be upset with people for finding it annoying.

About you posting on top of quotes... I'd be lying if I said I didn't also find that annoying, but to a much lesser degree than no punctuation. Again, let me try to explain why. When we read things, in English, we read from left to right and from top to bottom. When we're reading a thread on a forum, posts are read from top to bottom. So it's only natural that if you're quoting a post, you put the quote on the top. When you're replying to a post, below the reply box, the posts are in reverse order, but that's only for a convenience factor.

And just so you know, typing this post out, I must have had at least a dozen words spelled incorrectly. Nothing a right-click didn't fix. I even Googled something on three separate occasions to make sure I was saying the right thing. And before I submit this post, I will proof read it to make sure it doesn't contain any errors (to the best of my knowledge). It's worth it, if for nothing else, for the respect of the people that are going to read it.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Luke wrote:Not touching opicuwac's post with a ten foot poll.

:roll:

I gave your name a ballpark guess when spelling it, and I was somewhat close right? No disrespect.
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

@Ziggy: That was a great post.

Clear communication is important anywhere, but especially online where people have only your posts to tell what sort of person you are.

Like Ziggy, I regularly have to look up words' spellings. I have to proof read my posts multiple times. In spite of it all, sometimes I still mess up, but I think the effort is appreciated by the rest of the forum.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.