Why is there no silly, funny anime?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Re: Why is there no silly, funny anime?

Post by BoringSupreez »

gtmtnbiker wrote:
hashiriya1 wrote:As mentioned, there are a lot, but Japanese humor doesn't translate well so it's not released overseas. What Japanese think is funny isn't really funny to non-Japanese.

What about American humor? Is it funny to the Japanese?

Must be, 'cause they watch Spongebob too.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

AmishSamurai wrote:Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Love Abenobashi. Crazy show, and I haven't watched it for a while, but I do remember an overall plot. Don't get me wrong, there's so much randomness going on that it feels like an afterthought, but it's still there.
skyknight
128-bit

Post by skyknight »

No one here mentioned Gintama!?

Taking characters from the end of the Edo period and throw in Japanese modern culture, you do get a sick mix of fun. :lol:
neilencio
64-bit

Post by neilencio »

I think it's mostly the wordplays and puns that are unaccessible to non-Japanese. They're not really the types of humor that translate well over language barriers. Animes still have slapstick humor, which is universal (not in the way that everybody will find it funny, but everybody will understand that it's supposed to be funny.).

Off tangent, I believe kancho is still funny even if you're not a japanese kid (our country has a local version called "turbo").
Visit my wife's blog: Pinay Geek
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Excel Saga was mentioned, and I quite liked that one. No continuation between episodes that I remember, just a bunch of random humor. I can see the main character's voice driving some people from watching this, but I enjoyed it.

There is continuity in the sense that characters will be introduced in episodes and then continue showing up from then onward, like most sitcoms or something. Plus occasional references to previous episodes, but yeah it's hardly there.
VGMStudios
16-bit

Post by VGMStudios »

the one that always comes to mind is:
I my me strawberry eggs.

I found it very funny and silly.