Why is there no silly, funny anime?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Why is there no silly, funny anime?

Post by BoringSupreez »

It seems that all anime has to have some epic continuous story arc, and has to have romance between the characters. Why don't the Japanese make any shows like Dexter's Lab or Spongebob? You know, where there's no continuity, everything is done for comedy's sake, and no overlying story. Or, if I'm wrong, tell me the name of a show like this.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Re: Why is there no silly, funny anime?

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

Anime tends to have more of a storyline, but there's plenty of comedy around. Can't remember the name, but I remember really enjoying a sports drama about a bunch of inept fencer chicks. Most of it's going to be drama, actually. The funniest anime I've seen have also been epic narratives.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoringSupreez wrote:It seems that all anime has to have some epic continuous story arc, and has to have romance between the characters. Why don't the Japanese make any shows like Dexter's Lab or Spongebob? You know, where there's no continuity, everything is done for comedy's sake, and no overlying story. Or, if I'm wrong, tell me the name of a show like this.

No continuinty is really hard. Shows like Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh, and K-ON don't have an epic story arc but there is continuity between episodes.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
deathsled
128-bit

Post by deathsled »

Crayon Shin-chan?
Retrozoa
64-bit

Post by Retrozoa »

Nichijou is a perfect example of a silly, funny anime. Here's my favorite scene from it as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApKE01R9DyY
Current systems: Atari 2600[x2], NES(top loader), SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, PS2, PS2 slim, xbox, xbox 360, Turbografx-16, Game Boy Pocket, Game boy SP[x2], Nintendo DS[x2], Nintendo DSi, Nintendo 3DS, Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan Color, Neo Geo MVS.
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

The first one that popped into my head was Shin Chan. They are out there we just dont see them much in the states.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

The English dub of Ghost Stories is damn funny, and free on YouTube.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

There's too many to mention I'm sure. There's more to anime than Cowboy Bebop.

My favorite comedy that isn't completey episodic though would be Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

Gintma is a big one. I hear School Rumble is pretty good too.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

deathsled wrote:Crayon Shin-chan?

*researches it*
That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'm reading the comics online now, they seem pretty funny. I've actually seen the characters before, but had no idea what they were.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Shin Chan is on Comedy Central, so I'm surprised you haven't heard about it before. It's also on Netflix.