Next-Gen

Lent

Post by Luke »

Begins tomorrow.

So instead of going on a water fast, I'm giving up the following:

Meat & Seafood
Alcohol
Sex and whatever the kids call boppin the bologna these days

Religion aside, anyone else giving anything up for lent?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Lent

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm not religious, but my wife is giving up soda for Lent.

She asked me if I could try to give up video games for Lent and I told her I couldn't because the Y's Together Retro was in March.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I'm not religious, but my wife is giving up soda for Lent.

She asked me if I could try to give up video games for Lent and I told her I couldn't because the Y's Together Retro was in March.

I gave up "Nintendo and Sega" for Lent when I was in middle school. Luckily I had Golden Axe on my Father's IBM PS1.

For me, giving up something for lent has very little to do with religion, but more about self control.
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

Luke wrote:For me, giving up something for lent has very little to do with religion, but more about self control.

Word. I've never actually taken part in it but I wouldn't mind trying to give up something that I normally "can't like without", just to see if I have the self control to pull it off.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

harper wrote:
Luke wrote:For me, giving up something for lent has very little to do with religion, but more about self control.

Word. I've never actually taken part in it but I wouldn't mind trying to give up something that I normally "can't like without", just to see if I have the self control to pull it off.

I've gone on water fasts for several weeks. Not bragging at all, as I think most people can do it, but there have been times that I haven't eaten for over a month. After the third day, I'm usually rid of any hunger.

The first two days however, are fairly awful. I remember at one point feeding my dog Ripley and thinking her food smelled delicious.

I'm usually very strict with Lent, but I do break the alcohol rule on St. Patrick's Day. As my Father once explained, "It's not wise to disrespect a Saint during Lent".
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

The problem with Lent is that my convention is in the middle of it, so I cannot give up things like caffeine or go on a water fast. I am going to try my best to give up cursing and debauchery.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

fastbilly1 wrote: I am going to try my best to give up cursing and debauchery.

Is giving up smoking out of the question?

You know what Rod and Tod say.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Luke wrote:Is giving up smoking out of the question?

You know what Rod and Tod say.

I havent smoked anything in five years. Not even a puff on a cigar.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

abstaining was a bad idea in December and it's a bad idea now
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

Probably going to cut down on sweets/candy, soda, sweet tea, and other sugary crap. I've been holding to my New Year's Resolution of no fast food for a while now. May as well go all the way.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw