Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
flex wood
Next-Gen

Re: Entrapment

by flex wood Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Hey guys how's it going? So this topic here is about drugs right? How's my grammar?

I'm pretty sure the reasoning behind these kind of under cover stings is less about catching the kids, rather it's about scare tactics. Every kid in the schools is now to paranoid to smoke now (ironic right). The cops aren't trying to catch criminals they are trying to prevent drug use in teens.

Also these kids are fucking idiots if they talked to police in questioning with out lawyer-ing up. I would assume that most took a plea bargain out of fear. At that age you don't really know much about the law and it's very scary.

Also weed is for girls real men drink to forget the pain.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:17 pm

If you guys want to see a lot of poorly written arguments about the legalization of marijuana, then just ask any undergraduate class across the country to write you a paper on the topic of their choice. I've been teaching at the university level for several years now, and it's really shocking how poorly the average undergraduate writes. And for some reason, whenever you give them an assignment based on their topic of choice, there's always the "legalize it" paper, and it always makes you think you have a non-native speaker because of how bad the grammar is, and then you hand back the paper and it's the local white dude with the blond dreads. Every. Time.

Sorry, just a little teacher rant there.

On point, I think the war on drugs has largely been a waste of money. I think marijuana should be legalized. I think we have far too many people serving jail time and paying legal fees for a drug that doesn't have many harmful side effects beyond reducing your motivation and giving you the munchies. And you should know, I say this as a person who has never so much as taken one puff of a joint, who has never used any illegal drugs, and who knows that this means he has to take the side of the argument of the many people that torture him with poorly written college essays. But you know, when they have it right, they have it right, even if they can't write.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:25 am

General_Norris wrote:
Michi wrote:Then they raided a girls house during her birthday party thinking they'd find something.

What the hell? :shock:

I guess that since her house was sort of "out of the way" that it was a ripe spot for illicit activity. As you can imagine, her parent's were sure pissed cause, you know, they were home supervising and all :roll:
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:37 am

J T wrote:If you guys want to see a lot of poorly written arguments about the legalization of marijuana, then just ask any undergraduate class across the country to write you a paper on the topic of their choice. I've been teaching at the university level for several years now, and it's really shocking how poorly the average undergraduate writes. And for some reason, whenever you give them an assignment based on their topic of choice, there's always the "legalize it" paper, and it always makes you think you have a non-native speaker because of how bad the grammar is, and then you hand back the paper and it's the local white dude with the blond dreads. Every. Time.

Sorry, just a little teacher rant there.

On point, I think the war on drugs has largely been a waste of money. I think marijuana should be legalized. I think we have far too many people serving jail time and paying legal fees for a drug that doesn't have many harmful side effects beyond reducing your motivation and giving you the munchies. And you should know, I say this as a person who has never so much as taken one puff of a joint, who has never used any illegal drugs, and who knows that this means he has to take the side of the argument of the many people that torture him with poorly written college essays. But you know, when they have it right, they have it right, even if they can't write.

I agree with this. I believe it to be no worse or even less harmful than alcohol. It is just something in the past that wasn't as socially popular as alcohol, so it wasn't legalized again like after the repeal of prohibition. It seems its popularity has been steadily rising though. I am not for other drugs being legalized, as most of them can really screw someone up and are highly addictive.

Either way, with my job as an engineer, I will probably never get to smoke even if it were legalized. I am sure I would be drug tested still in order to keep my job. The big problem for marijuana though, is that there is no test that can verify if one is under the influence. The tests can only tell if you have smoked in the recent past. So that makes things like testing for driving under the influence and for jobs difficult. Sure you smoked on the weekend, but that doesn't mean you were intoxicated while at work or while you were driving your car a few days later. That is a hurdle they will have to cross if it ever does get legalized.
Last edited by Jmustang1968 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arbitern1
128-bit

by Arbitern1 Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:17 am

I smoke fairly frequently and pro legalization arguements make my skin crawl. Most are stupid arguements that make me cringe. Now if I want to go home after a long shift at work and toke a bowl and play some shumps, that's my choice. Some people go home and down a six pack, which I would but alchohol makes me all depressed and such. The best reason I can see for the decriminalization of it is all the wasted money spent on law enforcement and "criminal house". The inability to test drivers is a huge problem. But then again if everybody was responsible, nobody would get intoxicated and drive. It is already bad enough to fear for my life on every Friday and Saturday because of the drunk drivers.

Also typing on this forum from a kindle fire is heinously anus.

"Smoke big green, call it Bruce banner, so watch your manners"-Easy E knew what was up.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:18 am

Jmustang1968 wrote: The big problem for marijuana though, is that there is no test that can verify if one is under the influence.

Actually the police have field tests that can determine if someone is under the influence of marijuana.

And I could be wrong, but I think JT wants marijuana legalized so he doesn't have to read on the subject anymore ;) I doubt I'll see the legalization of marijuana in my lifetime, as when you break it down to brass tacks, it's not about the drug, it's about the money the drug makes.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:39 am

Luke wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote: The big problem for marijuana though, is that there is no test that can verify if one is under the influence.

Actually the police have field tests that can determine if someone is under the influence of marijuana.

Are these accurate enough to stand up to medical scrutiny in court? The driving issue has always been my major sticking point for legalization, and as far as I know there's no test that's akin to a breathalyzer for testing if someone is presently stoned.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:59 am

dsheinem wrote:
Luke wrote:

Are these accurate enough to stand up to medical scrutiny in court? The driving issue has always been my major sticking point for legalization, and as far as I know there's no test that's akin to a breathalyzer for testing if someone is presently stoned.

I can check with one of my lawyer friends and with one of my cop friends to make sure, but I believe yes, the tests are accurate enough to stand as court evidence. There are similar field tests to detect the use of crack/cocaine, meth, and other stimulants.

The tests include, don't quote me on this though, a pupil diagnosis followed by a series of aptitude questions judged on reaction time and clarity of answers.

Not sure if there is a double dare style physical challenge, which police should start doing immediately.

"Sir, have you had anything to drink tonight?"

'Nope'

"To make sure I'm going to strap this cereal bowl to your head and throw sardines at you while you ride this unicycle. You catch half a dozen, you're free to go...It's protocol sir."
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:08 pm

The war on drug users is just plain evil. They ruined this kids future, for what? If this kid sold pot to every other kid in the school it wouldn't hurt anyone as bad as a felony conviction hurt him. If this kid smoked pot every day of his life it wouldn't hurt him as much as a felony conviction. Where is the proportionality?

That's how you know it's a lie. It's not about protecting anyone at all. It's about stealing our civil liberties, keeping politicians reelected through jingoistic rhetoric, profits for the pharmaceutical/alcohol/tobacco/prison industries, and racism. It's about control.

If you're interested in an articulate and accurate description of just how bad the war on drug users is, you should spend some time to watch this debate between Salon reporter Glenn Greenwald and Bush's Drug Czar John Walters. Greenwald presents a large list of immense costs the drug war brings us, and Walters flails about with powerpoint telling us what we're doing and not really making a case at all that it's the right thing to do.

Don't judge the legalization question based on the opinions of people like DreamcastDude. There are plenty of serious arguments with research behind them that legalization/decriminalization would be the least harmful way to deal with drugs. The problem is that the government refuses to even have a conversation on the issue, so you only ever hear the pro-drug war arguments from "serious" people.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:33 pm

I'm not going to read through this whole thread (although I did read Hatta's post above this one, and he is right on the money), but here is a summary of what I think:

What is one of the largest industries in America? The Pharmaceutical industry.
What is another large one? The private prison industry.
What is the the largest industry? The war industry.

Look up the statistics for the poppy agricultural industry in Afghanistan since 2003.

Connect a few dots here and there.

American isn't losing the "War on Drugs". It's winning it by a long shot, but not in the way that most people think. There is a LOT of money being made, and I think it might be very shocking for some if they realize just how it is being made and by who.

How do the PEOPLE fight the real war on drugs? Simple. Don't be a shithead. Quit smoking weed, stay the fuck away from opiates like cocaine or heroin, and stay the hell away from any prescription meds unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. If you do any of those things, you are just feeding the system directly or indirectly. Stop doing it!

As for Canada, we seem to often take one step forward and the media is all over it (decriminilized pot, yay!), and then a few quiet steps backwards (don't even think about giving someone weed. Get caught, and you could easily be screwed). Don't think that weed is legal in Canada; it isn't (without a doctor's approval!).
Last edited by Breetai on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever