Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Unhappy with my career, tips?

by Erik_Twice Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:35 am

I think I already made a post like this. Oh, well.

As some may know, I'm currently studying Alimentary Engineering to get into Industrial Engineering later. And I'm doing horribly at it, again. Two years and only one subject done is not a good record, specially since I was in Electrical Engineering previously and I should have learned something there even if they curbstomped us to not have to adapt to a newer legislation. (70% of my year didn't have a single subject on her bely and half of the subjects had rates like 1%, that simply cannot be just our fault, no matter how moronic we are).

I'm considering going somewhere else but I can't see many options and there's no one to consult around so I decided to ask about it here.

In some ways, the big problem is that I don't really know what I want to do. All I seem to like is thinking around, questioning and understanding. That's why I thought I would fit in Engineering or Sciences perfectly but alas, I didn't, they are not creative, you solve the same old problems just better, you don't create new ones and then solve them, which is what it seems I was looking for.

I'm considering switching to a career called Audiovisual Communications which is kind of a hodgepodge of radio, cinema and television but I'm wary of it because it has a lot of filler and there are not many practises. For example there are subjects like law, history, theory of society and other tangential topics of no importance until you reach third year. That's bad.

There are courses on the same topic that actually would let you get later into it focused on video editing, production or sound but it's technical, which is probably not what I'm looking for.

I can see myself writting, since I actually do it a lot but there's no career for that. I would also love being a critic but I don't think there's a lot of work in movies or books and we all know how bad games journalism is. Not that there's a career for those, either.

There are courses on writting scripts but they are not official and I have no idea on how that path works and given how mediocre the Spanish industry is, I would need to move, which is not something I oppose but like this country, for good or bad. Can you simply write and learn on your own or do you need to study here?

Any thoughts? I'm really lost here.
Last edited by Erik_Twice on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Unhappy with my career, tips?

by ZeroAX Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:40 am

General_Norris wrote:There are courses on writting scripts but they are not official and I have no idea on how that path works

Perhaps you should ask more info about that? And what do you mean they are not official? As in no in public Unis? (are Unis in Spain exclusively state run too?)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:44 am

ZeroAX wrote:
General_Norris wrote:There are courses on writting scripts but they are not official and I have no idea on how that path works

Perhaps you should ask more info about that? And what do you mean they are not official? As in no in public Unis? (are Unis in Spain exclusively state run too?)

As in, they are not sanctionated by the State. There's no public titulation for it and there's no way to study that on a public uni or school or whatever :lol:

Unis in Spain can be public or private, tough I see little reason to go to a private school in most cases.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:36 am

There is a bit of a difference between doing actual engineering and more fundamental stuff - the latter will lend itself more to more original research. But even if you were doing a course on some fundamental science, you can't be expecting to solve "new problems" on your undergraduate studies - that is to learn what is already known, right?

I'm sorry I don't think I can help much - it is essential that you figure out what you like to do, even if you do decide (based on practicalities) that you won't pursue that. I'm one of those persons that really believes in doing something you enjoy doing if at all possible - even if you pass up better career options with higher earning or whatever.

Ivo.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:59 am

I passed this on to General N., but thought it would be a disservice to not share it with everyone.

Career Advice from Kevin Smith

Replace "filmmaker" with any other occupation, and you still get some solid advice. I'm a "Change the world" guy, and Kevin is right, that shit doesn't fly unless you are the one writing the checks. He also mentions that every job's responsibility is basically to answer an onslaught of questions, whether your answer is right or wrong doesn't matter at the time, just answer to the best of your knowledge. Even if you KNOW you have the right answer, wait, and sooner or later you can implement your decisions, but when you break it down to brass tacks you have to play the game.
fvgazi
Next-Gen

by fvgazi Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Luke wrote:Replace "filmmaker" with any other occupation, and you still get some solid advice. I'm a "Change the world" guy, and Kevin is right, that shit doesn't fly unless you are the one writing the checks. He also mentions that every job's responsibility is basically to answer an onslaught of questions, whether your answer is right or wrong doesn't matter at the time, just answer to the best of your knowledge. Even if you KNOW you have the right answer, wait, and sooner or later you can implement your decisions, but when you break it down to brass tacks you have to play the game.

I agree. Not everyone can be the "change the world guy", otherwise the world would not be working very well. I recently decided that I'm unhappy with my situation as well and I'm in the completely wrong field. It's not something I enjoy anymore and not something that pays well by any means.

The hard part is going back to school. I already have a BS and many schools won't take someone for a second bachelors because they already have a degree and are saving spots for new students. Right now I've been looking into getting an associates or even if it's possible to go straight for a Masters program (this is all for computer science). I've recently fell in love with it and I regret not pushing myself harder as a teenager.

General, the best advice I can give is to try and achieve what you want. What do you have to lose? You're already doing something you're unhappy with. At least it's something to fall back on if your dreams don't work out, but I say go for those dreams. I have a friend who went back to school for nuclear medicine when he was in his early 30's and got an associates degree. He is now making much more money and much more happy.

Also, if you really enjoy writing, keep doing it whether it's professional or not. If it's something you enjoy, you'll only get better over time. Maybe it could evolve into something even bigger? I have another friend who does game journalism as sort of a side job and runs a website. It's not his main job and he does it just because he enjoys it. I think it makes a small bit of money, but he is able to go to big conferences and get early releases of games. Granted, he also has to play through terrible ones too.
[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:16 pm

fvgazi wrote:The hard part is going back to school. I already have a BS and many schools won't take someone for a second bachelors because they already have a degree and are saving spots for new students. Right now I've been looking into getting an associates or even if it's possible to go straight for a Masters program (this is all for computer science).

If you have a BS degree, wouldn't an associates degree be a step back, or are you just pursuing an IT degree? Either way, good luck, and if you are pursuing a career in IT, look into certifications, not degrees (just from what I've seen).
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:29 pm

Well whatever you do, at least try to find something that makes you happy. I was going to follow all my friends and go to a nice college and get a degree in something that makes tons of money. Then about 6 months ago I just decided that making money isn't worth it if you don't have a passion for what you're doing. That's why I'm working on becoming a pilot right now. 8)
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:33 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Well whatever you do, at least try to find something that makes you happy. I was going to follow all my friends and go to a nice college and get a degree in something that makes tons of money. Then about 6 months ago I just decided that making money isn't worth it if you don't have a passion for what you're doing. That's why I'm working on becoming a pilot right now. 8)

:shock: and pilots don't make money????
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:52 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Well whatever you do, at least try to find something that makes you happy. I was going to follow all my friends and go to a nice college and get a degree in something that makes tons of money. Then about 6 months ago I just decided that making money isn't worth it if you don't have a passion for what you're doing. That's why I'm working on becoming a pilot right now. 8)

:shock: and pilots don't make money????

Veteran pilots do, but for the work (charter) I want to go into I'm looking at 40k a year as a median income for the first ten years.

That's decent for sure (especially considering I'll have quite a bit of off time), but not the 6 digit incomes my friends are going for.

Anyways, my point was that it doesn't matter what you make as long as it's enough and the work is satisfying and enjoyable.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever