What car do you drive?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: What car do you drive?

Post by Jagosaurus »

Sarge wrote:Remember that a lot of the foreign cars are actually made right here in the States. My state has both Toyota and Nissan plants.

Assembled in the States. Not made or engineering. Partially manufacturered, sure.

I run into this is in my job a lot. Several IT manufacturers have assembly plants in Dallas/Plano. Because more than ×% of their product still comes from Asia, they cannot put the made in USA sticker on it.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:Assembled in the States. Not made or engineering. Partially manufacturered, sure.

That's how they get around regulations, taxes and whatnot.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Nissan has a US design center. Not sure about Honda or Toyota. But then, Nissan is technically European now instead of Japanese (by ownership, anyway). Komatsu does that as well. They have a big facility in Chattanooga near where I grew up. The ship in various parts and pieces and their construction equipment is actually assembled in the US facility.

Toyota used to send trucks to the US without beds on them, because if they were unfinished the tariffs were massively lower. Then they would attach US-made beds. Guess what part of the truck always rusted out well before the rest.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

My Subaru Outback was assembled in Indiana. I don't know where all the parts where made, but I know the car was assembled stateside.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well... I sold the GMC Terrain and bought Mrs. Jago a Chevy Tahoe. Migrating from the mid sized 4 cylinder SUV to the full sized 5.3l V8 for the family and road trips. We had outgrown the Terrain and traveling in it with 2 car seats and luggage was tough. We're loving the Tahoe.

Edit/Add:
- Should note, Houston gets a ton of rain/storms and has flooding on our road ways a few times a year. I wanted her and the kiddos higher off the ground.

Also, went with a slightly used 2017 with full, extended warranty to 72K miles & road side assistance versus a new 2018 with stock GM warranty. I got over 33% off new sticker price. Then I landed 94th percentile of blue book pricing while selling her Terrain. I thought we made out well on both ends. -

Silver Ice Metallic paint with black leather interior

I'm still driving the 4.8l V8 Silverado. A couple dedicated pics of the truck below. The Tahoe will be in the garage, but wanted a side by side of my Chevys.

More 2017 Tahoe pics:

Here's some photos of the 2010 Terrain while selling. She was a good car. 131,000 miles:

My 2011 Chevy Silverado. 113,000 miles currently:
I think I shared 2 of these a few pages back.

I removed the terrible red seat covers but gives you an idea of interior room:

Added the bed cover. It's the 6.5 foot size bed so I'm 3 inches bigger than a Suburban :lol:

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Been almost a year since last post! My 2011 Silverado is at 122.6K miles now, from 113k, so looks like I'm averaging about 10K per year.

Here's a recent pic from a fishing trip. Dirty as expected when up at the lake. Bed cover is nice for housing all the fishing gear on what ended up being a rainy weekend.

These tires shown just hit 50K miles. I've always thought the stock tires Chevy had in this timeframe were too small compared to the increased body size from previous generation body (Ford & Dodge did the same in this window IMO). I'm going to get some all terrain tires that sit about 1.5" taller. Should change the look a bit. Houston also has water on the roads often. Never hurts. I'd like to go about 2.5" inches, but they'll rub without raising the front. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

Time for some preventive maintenance. Going to get new ball joints (upper & lower), alignment, rear shocks (leaking now), & all terrain tires mentioned above soon. The combined bill stings a bit, but I plan on driving this for roughly 2 more years (until it hits 10 years old or so) so worth the investment. Had the dealership & third party mechanic quote the work. Was surprised to see the dealership come in cheaper with better warranty.

How are yalls rides treating you?

SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I drive a 2010 F150 with about 112k miles on it.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1558142886654.jpg
FB_IMG_1558142886654.jpg (216.19 KiB) Viewed 6889 times
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I dig that blue color. Is it an extended cab or the single with the storage space behind seat?