2011 Charity Auction: Items Arriving! Leave Feedback!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: 2011 Charity Auction: Items Arriving! Leave Feedback!

Post by Luke »

gtmtnbiker wrote:Cool pic, Luke.

Did you have to pay for postage each time? I hope not. Usually the post office will redeliver it on the original postage if the address has a mistake or wasn't delivered correctly.

She wasn't happy I took her picture at first, but when I explained what had happened she was cool with it.

I've paid for postage twice. The first time, and this time. The second time I sent it out through work, so I'm only down about $12 for the postage. I don't want to put up items next year and Amish or others shy away from them because he never received his purchase from the last auction.

And I know when he gets his package he'll think, "Really? All of this trouble for old loose sports games with one that has a burn on the box and one that comes with instructions for another game?", but I'm like one of those whack-o's on a basic cable court show; it's not about money, it's about principle. He paid, I didn't deliver (had I delivered he would have the package by now).
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

Turns out my postman was a lazy ass who didn't feel like going upstairs to drop a package off. Just got it in today.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

AmishSamurai wrote:Turns out my postman was a lazy ass who didn't feel like going upstairs to drop a package off. Just got it in today.

How did you find that out?
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

gtmtnbiker wrote:
AmishSamurai wrote:Turns out my postman was a lazy ass who didn't feel like going upstairs to drop a package off. Just got it in today.

I came home right when he was coming to drop off mail, he put the packages on the mailbox, then as soon as he was done with that he took the packages and put them back in his car rather than go upstairs and drop them off. If I hadn't checked before that Luke would be getting it back a third time.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
cookie monster
Next-Gen

Post by cookie monster »

AmishSamurai wrote:
gtmtnbiker wrote:

I came home right when he was coming to drop off mail, he put the packages on the mailbox, then as soon as he was done with that he took the packages and put them back in his car rather than go upstairs and drop them off. If I hadn't checked before that Luke would be getting it back a third time.

If i were you i would report his sorry ass for not doing his job.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

AmishSamurai wrote:
gtmtnbiker wrote:

PM'd.

Racketeers, I promise I wouldn't lie to you.

I also promise I'll tell lousy jokes that at no point were thought out.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Ok, so after many PMs, emails, and donated shipping costs, I am finally completely tired of waiting for aaron to send out the items he donated that people won. I have started refunding those who won items from him the money that they paid (I stopped just to write this post), but will cover his mistake myself and send the full amount to ALS anyway. I am tired of sitting on the check just waiting for everything to wrap up, so I've decided "fuck it, I am ending it myself".

I had two non-site members file complaints about not receiving his items and one of them made a PayPal claim against me. My account's good standing isn't worth risking for aaron to finally sort out his problems. I'd suggest anyone who didn't get their items from him to leave a -1 in the feedback thread. I'm sad that it ended this way, but I've reached the end of my patience.

This is the second year in a row where the auction had to stretch well past the final "ship by" date because of people not sending stuff in a timely matter. tbh I am feeling pretty sour on running the auction again next year, despite all the wonderful support from so many of you. It's a shame that a few bad experiences over the years can really dampen the enthusiasm for future installments.

If you're curious, here's the letter I am attaching with the check, which will FINALLY go out tomorrow. I'll let you know if I hear anything back from ALS in the form of a thank you note or anything else.

To Whom It May Concern:

Enclosed you will find a check for $1,400 to aid the Alzheimer’s Association in their ongoing efforts to fight the disease and to help patients and their families who suffer with its effects. I am writing this letter to accompany the check because I thought you might want to know where the money came from.

For the past few years I have been in charge of a charity auction that is created through the participation of members of the discussion forums for the website Racketboy.com, a website that is centered on discussion about “retro” video games (games such as old Atari 2600 or Sega Genesis games that are no longer sold in stores). Members donate old video games, memorabilia, and other items that are then bid on (mostly by each other) and paid for at auction’s end. That money then goes to an organization of our choosing, and this year we decided we wanted the recipient of the money raised in the auction to be the Alzheimer’s Association.

Specifically, one member explained their own interest in our donation for the year contributing to Alzheimer’s research by writing that “My Grandmother was diagnosed with it within the past year or two, and it's really taking a toll on her, my Grandfather, and the rest of our family. For those who don't know people with it, it's a bit hard to explain, but it's like losing your whole personality in a lot of ways, it's really bad. I sure as hell wish there was more research being put into it.” Another member suggested that “a friend of our family had to look after her husband when he got Alzheimer’s. She only got an hour off a week when a nurse would visit, which was only just enough time for her to go shopping for the upcoming week, and was the only time she could normally get out of the house. The worst part is that often he couldn't remember who she was when she came back from shopping some of the time despite them having been married for decades. Several times he locked her out of the house or phoned the police thinking she'd broken in to steal his WW2 collection”. These kinds of personal anecdotes moved the rest of us to pull our resources, to enlist the help of friends at GameGavel.com, and to promote the auction in an effort to help further the work that the Alzheimer’s Association has become known for doing.

Obviously you are no stranger to the kinds of heartache the disease causes, but I wanted to remind you that people consider your work to be vital in making strides towards a cure. We trust that this check, which represents the contributions of about many individuals, will help you take a small step towards making much-needed discoveries.

Sincerely,

(dsheinem)

p.s. If you wish to (or are required to) list us as donors anywhere, please list us as “The Racketboy Forum Members” instead of using my name. Any correspondence can be addressed to me. Thank you.

Last edited by dsheinem on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

also, mods feel free to unsticky this thread.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Amazing job dsheinem and I hope this experience with aaron doesn't disuade you from leading the charge next year.

I really hope your PayPal account wasn't affected by this.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

retrosportsgamer wrote:I really hope your PayPal account wasn't affected by this.

Other than having a complaint filed, no - I was able to explain things to the person who did file a claim. I don't know how much more patience they would have had though, and at the end of the day it would have been my account on the line.

I'm just glad to be done with it for the year, next year's plans are up in the air for now.