My Sonic Youth collection

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
god
64-bit

Re: My Sonic Youth collection

Post by god »

dsheinem wrote:One of these days I should post my Smashing Pumpkins Collection

I was so very into them when I was younger, I have their first 12" single, Tristessa I think, and the Aeroplane Flies High box set, and the 1979 remixes single
Big Zenny Hustler
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

god wrote:

I was so very into them when I was younger, I have their first 12" single, Tristessa I think, and the Aeroplane Flies High box set, and the 1979 remixes single

Yeah, I was overkill hardcore into them. I flew to see concerts, collected and traded entire tours on cassette tape (later CD), and used to be active on a few messageboards. I still have all the stuff and listen to it with regularity, but my obsession ended a few years after the band broke up initially in 2000. I still follow Corgan's work (including the new "Smashing Pumpkins" stuff), but it is not the same...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:
god wrote:

Yeah, I was overkill hardcore into them. I flew to see concerts, collected and traded entire tours on cassette tape (later CD), and used to be active on a few messageboards. I still have all the stuff and listen to it with regularity, but my obsession ended a few years after the band broke up initially in 2000. I still follow Corgan's work (including the new "Smashing Pumpkins" stuff), but it is not the same...

I thought Zeitgeist was rather good actually.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

My knowledge of Sonic Youth pretty much ends with the fact that their shit pops up on ebay when I'm looking for stuff related to Sonic Hedgehog.

I've listened to a few of their songs but I don't get it. Point me to something specific they did that I should listen to?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Man, I only own one Sonic Youth album, Washing Machine. Just the other day, I was thinking about how I ought to get more of them at some point.

I also have Diskaholics "Live in Japan vol. 1" which has at least Thurston Moore and maybe one other SY person involved, but I wasn't too wild about it. Even though I love wild, experimental sounds, it's not my style wild experimental sound. But I only listened to it once and now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I should give it another play.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jrecee wrote:I've listened to a few of their songs but I don't get it. Point me to something specific they did that I should listen to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PU1pIJJGeM
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

Listened to it. Still don't get it. Sort of a mish-mash of sounds topped with off-key vocals.
cloudrat7
32-bit

Post by cloudrat7 »

oh man i simply loved experimental jet and washing machine as well, I love sonic youth.
http://www.artwanted.com/cloudrat7
Sega master system, Sega genesis, Sega saturn(mod), Dreamcast, Nes, Super nes, Turbografx-16, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Gamecube, X-box 360.