Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Re: Musician's thread?

by brunoafh Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:26 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I joined up with a country band and my first gig with them is this Friday. I auditioned a few weeks ago and got the spot. I'm very much a metal guitarist and have pretty much only been in hard rock bands, so this is quite the change up for me. I'm not really a fan of country at all, but I can't pass up the money. I can't say I mind the opportunity to play out either, it should be fun.

It's kind of funny trying to "tone back" a bit at practice and when working with leads. The speed player in me is having a hard time getting the hang of this slow bendy twang country lead business.
SpoonyBard
128-bit

by SpoonyBard Thu May 02, 2013 11:30 am

Good luck. I got a bass gig for a country band a few years back. Being the only member who was obviously not into the genre, they always seemed to seek my "approval" and tried to get me to give them direction on how to reach a different audience. It was odd and I hated every minute of it. Eventually when it wasn't paying as well I just stopped showing up. The $1000+ a month (at its high point) was pretty great though, and was basically the only reason I had a place to live at the time.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Thu May 02, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm not at all a fan of country, and that southern twang will irritate me more often than not, but I can appreciate it. I will not turn on country music by choice, but when I'm forced to listen to it these days, I can at least dig the guitar.

When I played in a band, I played a cross of metal, hardrock, maybe even alternative style, but there has always been a huge blues inspiration in the way I played. These days, when I jam by myself, I mostly play blues type stuff. Country music, when it has good guitar work and not just pop radio garbage, is very similar so I can appreciate it for that reason.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Thu May 02, 2013 1:11 pm

I just got myself a new GK practice amp. Quite nice. :mrgreen:

I also got this about a month ago 8)

I wish I could find a band to play in...
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Thu May 02, 2013 1:25 pm

DAT BASS.

and it's a 5 string at that. Love me some 5 string.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu May 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Nice bass.

I'm still learning bass myself. I'm a slow learner and not very good - I don't think I'm musically inclined at all. Come June I need to start practicing again - at least an hour a day.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Thu May 02, 2013 1:44 pm

That bass is sick Ryan! I love the finish on it, it has the same vibe going on as my guitar.

brunoafh
Next-Gen

by brunoafh Thu May 02, 2013 1:48 pm

SpoonyBard wrote:Being the only member who was obviously not into the genre, they always seemed to seek my "approval" and tried to get me to give them direction on how to reach a different audience.

That won't be the case here, these guys are old school and not open to suggestions. George Jones and Conway Twitty old school. There's certainly plenty of audience for the genre around here. So in a way that's a good thing and I'll be able to play some nice leads and won't be subject to new age crap like Ziggy was saying.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Thu May 02, 2013 2:06 pm

dunpeal2064 wrote:That bass is sick Ryan! I love the finish on it, it has the same vibe going on as my guitar.

Your guitar is awesome as well! Love it!

I found my bass for only $300 on CL and jumped on it. Needed a new battery and a good dusting but the action is great and the neck is nice and straight.

I played a Warwick fretless about 6 months ago and absolutely fell in love with it. I was on the hunt for a fretless I liked after that.

Still, I miss having a fretted sometimes. I miss slapping. It just doesn't work very well on fretless basses.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Nice bass.

I'm still learning bass myself. I'm a slow learner and not very good - I don't think I'm musically inclined at all. Come June I need to start practicing again - at least an hour a day.

I quit for a long while... at least a year and a half I'd say, until about last August. It's not quite like riding a bike, so I'm still relearning. Especially since I'm using a fretless it's quite hard to nail things down, especially when playing fast. I'm not very musically inclined either, so I probably wont get back into the swing of things till I can practice a good amount every day too.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Sun May 05, 2013 3:31 pm

brunoafh wrote:...It's kind of funny trying to "tone back" a bit at practice and when working with leads. The speed player in me is having a hard time getting the hang of this slow bendy twang country lead business.

I immediately thought of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADoMfL78Mcc
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever