Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Comparison between the iOS and Android apps

Post by RCBH928 »

Hey there,

I was going to buy an iphone but now seriously considering an Android,
but i want any one who used both to compare to me the apps on both devices

I am most concerned about the app store on Android, how large is the selection and how good is the quality?
Apple goes out of their way to maintain quality apps
while android is free for all, as i understand

am not really an expert on the subject, I'd love to hear from an experienced user of the Android platform
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Re: Comparison between the iOS and Android apps

Post by lisalover1 »

There is a lot of stuff on Android that cannot be found on iOS, and itis mainly the more adventurous stuff that does not fit within Apple's guidelines. For the most part, most apps you will find in the App Store will have either direct ports or comparable alternatives in the Android Market.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

lisalover1 wrote:There is a lot of stuff on Android that cannot be found on iOS, and itis mainly the more adventurous stuff that does not fit within Apple's guidelines. For the most part, most apps you will find in the App Store will have either direct ports or comparable alternatives in the Android Market.

This. You have a more open app store and more access to everything with Android.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

In terms of business-y type apps all the best stuff is on both platforms, and the Android market tends to have more esoteric stuff. For games I'd say iOS is better. They've got things like Shining Force and the Cave games. The Android market might get more quality games as time goes on, but right now iOS is the clear winner.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I already own an iPad so am not so worried about the games :p

i really didnt expect the andoid to be this good
though I hope that it should be controlled a little bit, because personally
I hate software that malfunctions
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

kingmohd84 wrote:I already own an iPad so am not so worried about the games :p

i really didnt expect the andoid to be this good
though I hope that it should be controlled a little bit, because personally
I hate software that malfunctions

There's also the problems of unvetted software being riddled with viruses, which have affected a number of users already, if memory serves.
Droid party
Next-Gen

Post by Droid party »

I have an iPhone as my personal phone and a samsung galaxy s as my work phone and now that I have both I'm so glad I bought the iPhone with my own money and not the android device.

I can download the same app on both platforms and the android ones are slow ,unreliable or just plain broken. There is zero quality control and the people who stand by the openess of android seem happy to forgive the frustrating nature of androids bugginess because they feel like they aren't being controlled by the man.

But in short iOS just works, thats all I want from a smart phone and the apps available more than keep me happy. Also the memory leaks in android are a pain in the arse, I constantly have to go into the program manager and kill off the numerous apps still running in the background chewing up ram for seemingly no reason at all. My vote is iOS, just in case you missed it :)
Last edited by Droid party on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

@o.pwuaioc
There is a virus for andoids?
damn...

@Droid party
U just made me rethink my whole decisions,
what you said is exactly what I am afraid of
Under performance
broken software
bugs
and frustration...

I wonder why no 1 company would release a private android version
where they control the software the system runs
like an app store especially for them
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

kingmohd84 wrote:@o.pwuaioc
There is a virus for andoids?
damn...

@Droid party
U just made me rethink my whole decisions,
what you said is exactly what I am afraid of
Under performance
broken software
bugs
and frustration...

I wonder why no 1 company would release a private android version
where they control the software the system runs
like an app store especially for them

Whoa, ease up on the reply button there. That was a triple post!

Anyway, I usually find the Android versions of apps to have more features than the iOS versions, because they are not restricted by Apple's strict rules. Also, since Android phones are generally more powerful than whatever Apple has on the market at the time, apps will likely run faster, and content will certainly load faster if you are on a 4G connection; something that no iDevice has. Yes, the App Store has more apps, but the Android Market's apps are a lot more useful.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

To clear a few things up. There is nothing broken about Android apps compared to iOS (though the facebook app is kinda iffy) My Evo Shift with 2.3.3 runs like a champ. Yes, there is a virus or two (or a few if it matters) passing around for Android; it is based on Linux. But unless for some odd reason you are super worried about getting a virus on a linux system you don't need to worry here. Just pay attention to what you download.

As far as gaming goes it just depends on what you want. More games and normal apps are free on Android compared to iOS but there aren't as many "large" companies making games, it is mostly indie games. But for reference on my Evo Shift I have all the Angry Birds, Meganoid (a sweet little indie platformer), Nesoid a NES emulator, PEWPEW (a geometry wars type shooter), Tank Hero (aka Tanks), Plants Vs Zombies, Colossal Cave Adventure (txt adventures ftw!), and a few others as well and I didn't pay for any of them. Some have small un obtrusive ads and others don't.
If something isn't available in the Android Market you can download apps from outside the market if you allow side loading which is where you'll find most emulators.

Really I'd say if you like indie and retro style games Android may be the better choice.

Just know the difference with Android to the iPhone is that there are tons of android phones all at different levels. There are starter smartphones, intermediate and the power houses. So what you can run and run well depends on the specs of your phone.