Comparison between the iOS and Android apps

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Comparison between the iOS and Android apps

Post by isiolia »

At least with an iOS device you'll tend to actually get new versions of iOS, and get them when they come out. Until support drops entirely, anyway. Android is very inconsistent on that front, since it's left up to the individual vendors.

I've been told that the push to upgrade iOS to 11 was very aggressive as well. Not sure.

My Moto X actually got an update the other week to...a year old version of Android. Clearly it was a high priority for them.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well I didn't know that ios11 was awful and I had been in the beta program so it got installed for me months before it went live and my phone has been a nightmare of annoying abuses since. iOS11 was very aggressive on the push because they wanted to do away with 32bit support so they basically nagged, coerced, and borderline forced people to go with it. New apps, they want at least, to not support 32bit at some rate and on ios11 all 32bit stuff won't load anymore. I've had to erase Wolfenstein3D, Doom, and most of my SNK NeoGeo games outside of Neo Turf Masters, Flight Control, and a couple others which is infuriating.

I've never had android lags really as I have originally went from their own nexus tablet to the nvidia shield which is pretty good about pushing updates too.

My typical iOS11 problems are pretty consistent on sucking, and across all 5/5s phones as I've asked people when I see them using one.
- Black screen on lock(time) screen
- Crashes on apps
- Apps stalling then reloading themselves slowly to come up
- Apps just loading slowly
- Firefox does a huge sit and spin when you type anything in the browser bar (type in goo to get google and wait 3-5 seconds for it to pop) - site load times down too
- Rare but randomly just turns off
- Ringer vs general volume, it gets confused and mutes when it shouldn't but doesn't say mute on the visual graphic still saying it's up (not on alarm, just apps thankfully)
- Battery vampiric, I can leave it black screen on and in a few hours it's down 20% already

I can't get another phone right now, so I'm screwed. I'm tempted to jailbreak the thing if I can figure it out without bricking it and putting 10 back on there.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

isiolia wrote:I've been told that the push to upgrade iOS to 11 was very aggressive as well. Not sure.

I can confirm that the push to iOS 11 was aggressive, but not totally unavoidable. iOS was downloaded in the background. Luckily, it didn't effect my data plan at all. My iPhone asked me if I wanted to install iOS 11 "now" or "later". Those were the two options. I selected "later" and I was presented with my passcode screen. In small text at the bottom it said something like, "type your passcode to automatically install iOS 11". I selected "cancel" instead of typing in my passcode. iOS continued to nag me in this way for a few days. Each time I had to jump through the same hoops. After about four or five days, iOS quit nagging me. I still have that download taking up space on my iPhone, but no other problems beyond that. I'm still running iOS 10.3.3 now.

On the other hand, my fiance' tried to avoid installing iOS 11, but she reflexively typed in her passcode without reading the fine print at the bottom. Can you blame her? iOS updated while she wasn't paying attention. She says she doesn't like iOS 11 very much at all.

Tanooki wrote:I can't get another phone right now, so I'm screwed. I'm tempted to jailbreak the thing if I can figure it out without bricking it and putting 10 back on there.

I don't think you need to jailbreak for that. The hardest part of downgrading iOS is finding the old version of iOS 10 online somewhere. Once you download that to your computer, you just put your iPhone into DFU mode, connect your iPhone to your computer, launch itunes, and restore from the iOS 10 file you downloaded.

I have performed downgrades once or twice on my iPhone 4S that runs iOS 9 alright, but runs much quicker on iOS 8. You can find more in-depth tutorials on google that explain this process better than I have.

isiolia wrote:Android is very inconsistent on that front, since it's left up to the individual vendors.

This is also a good point. Half of the Android devices I have owned have NEVER received a major update to the core operating system, just Google Play updates. This makes them borderline unusable for the future. Eventually security concerns will force these devices into a landfill. {insert rant about disposable culture}

marurun wrote:That said, Apple is very good (or bad, depending on your view) at cutting off older hardware that is absolutely unsuited.

I could go on a very long rant about Apple software and hardware cutoffs, but it wouldn't fit within the constraints of this iOS vs Android topic. Suffice to say that Apple refuses to support older Macintosh hardware irrespective of whether or not that hardware is physically capable of running the newer software.
marurun

Post by marurun »

That's the case with my Nexus 7. I cannot update Android on it any longer, though the Google Play services continue to update. But who knows what security issues lurk outside of those services that will never get patched?

I actually like iOS 11 on my 6S, though it is clear it needed more time in beta to sort out some issues. And while it's a little frustrating to lose those 32-bit apps, for many of them it's not hard to update their code. The developers just don't want to. It helps them abandon old projects more easily. Apple pushing 64-bit all the way makes perfect sense and I don't hold any grudge against them for doing so. Anything you lose because you can't do 32-bit any more is on the app developers at this point.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Cool Phone Commercial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8AmkizQ39s

The meaning in the video could apply to either brand, the market driven must have the newest.

How many related Clichés can you spot? Look for the rice, anyone try that?

Take this idea and patent it
Everyone is used to holding a phone as if taking a call while shooting a quick video. An app that needs implemented is the auto rotation of videos from vertical to horizontal aspect for news feeds and viewing later on a computer or burned to DVD. So simple to engineer, build it into the aperture of the phone camera and make it the default preview with either stretch or borders top and bottom on the phone screen. Rotate the phone to horizontal for playback proper full wide screen view and for Bluetooth match to the HDTV widescreen.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I tried that DFU mode trick. I can get in there alright, but iTunes and before that I tried a 3rd party thing reiboot too and in both cases nothing but stonewalling and stupid errors. 11 just won't go away so I'm stuck with a partly broken phone. F U apple.
marurun

Post by marurun »

As updates slowly roll down speed and stability will improve for your phone. That's typically the way things go. The initial release heavily favors newer devices, and later point releases slowly patch up some of the neglected spots on the low end.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

isiolia wrote:My Moto X actually got an update the other week to...a year old version of Android. Clearly it was a high priority for them.

Same here. I think we're both rocking the same phone (Moto X Pure Edition / Style). There were a lot of ownership issues that went down right after that phone released, so support has been lackluster, to say the least. I was surprised they pushed another update at all, much less to 7.0. And it did apparently roll the security update in, so that's good.