What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

Post by Xeogred »

AmishSamurai wrote:Watching Martian Successor Nadesico now. Almost ragequit after episode 3 though. If you've watched, you know why. ;-;

Don't take the show too seriously, lol. It purposely knocks on a lot of tropes and cliche's. Overall it's not that bad, although I watched it back to back with Irresponsible Captain Tylor and that one I enjoyed even more.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

MrEco wrote:Anyways the 5 anime I'm currently trying to get through are:
....Strawberry Panic
18 episodes in. An extremely good romance anime following the story of Nagisa Aoi as she joins an all girls school. As literally everyone in the school is completely without question a lesbian yuri fans should take notice of this. However don't mistake this for a fanservice heavy throwaway. It actually has very little fanservice and an extremely good (And moving) story. Highly recommended.

Anyways, thank you to anyone who takes the time out time contribute to this thread. I look forward to some cool anime discussions.

I think you're one of the first persons I've seen recommend this. I remember watching this via Youtube the day after each episode was released. I liked it (enough to buy it, in fact) but I know a lot of people really, REALLY didn't (mostly for it's "abundance/lack of" fanservice), so it's nice to see someone else enjoyed/is enjoying it.

I'll also agree that Kenshin and Samurai X are must see and I'll second the recommendation of Le Chevalier D'Eon. They really are great shows so long as you skip the made up storyline of Kenshin after the Kyoto arc. The Kenshin manga are in nice 3 volume sized books now, so they're a bit more practical and easier to obtain now than when I bought them. (Not to mention cheaper).

A couple of other shows that I like are Trinity Blood, Otogi Zoshi, Noein, Samurai 7, and Wolf's Rain. I like a wide range of things so the subject matter is a bit all over the place. For the most part though, I like a bit of Sci-Fi/Supernatural/History in most of my shows.

As for movies, some of my favorites have been the Ghibli films, Satoshi Kon's Millennium Actress, and Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

Michi wrote:Samurai 7

It appears that Samurai 7 is based on Kurosawa's Seven Samurai from briefly looking it up. That's my all-time favorite film so I'm surprised the anime flew under my radar. Now I'm really looking forward to checking it out.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

Xeogred wrote:
AmishSamurai wrote:Watching Martian Successor Nadesico now. Almost ragequit after episode 3 though. If you've watched, you know why. ;-;

Don't take the show too seriously, lol. It purposely knocks on a lot of tropes and cliche's. Overall it's not that bad, although I watched it back to back with Irresponsible Captain Tylor and that one I enjoyed even more.

I didn't take it seriously- which is why Gai was the best character ever.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

Michi wrote:
MrEco wrote:Anyways the 5 anime I'm currently trying to get through are:
....Strawberry Panic
18 episodes in. An extremely good romance anime following the story of Nagisa Aoi as she joins an all girls school. As literally everyone in the school is completely without question a lesbian yuri fans should take notice of this. However don't mistake this for a fanservice heavy throwaway. It actually has very little fanservice and an extremely good (And moving) story. Highly recommended.

Anyways, thank you to anyone who takes the time out time contribute to this thread. I look forward to some cool anime discussions.

I think you're one of the first persons I've seen recommend this. I remember watching this via Youtube the day after each episode was released. I liked it (enough to buy it, in fact) but I know a lot of people really, REALLY didn't (mostly for it's "abundance/lack of" fanservice), so it's nice to see someone else enjoyed/is enjoying it.

*high five*
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

See my avatar?

Please go read the Ranma 1/2 manga.

Its a screwball comedy with some great fights, a couple of epic story arcs, and a dash of romance.

The anime version is good too, but it doesn't stack up as well as the manga, and it never concluded either, coming to an end halfway (the studio went out of business) and missing out on some of the manga's best stories. Its worth watching, but if you can't do both and must pick one or the other, pick the manga.

Check it out. If you don't like it, I'll...buy you a soda.

As a side rant, someone in Japan please get off your butts and finish animating RANMA!! Damn it.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Have you seen Urusei Yatsura? For some reason that one looks a little more appealing than Ranma to me, lol. Definitely plan to watch both eventually though. And Maison is the bomb (up there with Touch!)

Honestly don't think I plan to watch Inuyasha though. Meh. :roll:
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

Maison Ikkoku is in my opinion the greatest romance manga/anime, and every other romance manga/anime is just copying it. Except the harem genre, in which case they're copying Ranma.

Also, good move skipping Inuyasha. Probably her weakest work, even in the earlier parts.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Xeogred wrote:Have you seen Urusei Yatsura? For some reason that one looks a little more appealing than Ranma to me, lol. Definitely plan to watch both eventually though. And Maison is the bomb (up there with Touch!)

Honestly don't think I plan to watch Inuyasha though. Meh. :roll:

I've only read about the first 50 chapters or so of Urusei Yatsura. It's good, and I need to finish it, but I haven't found time to lately.

You should try both to be honest. Ranma is my all time favorite comic, so granted I'm biased, but the chaotic humor is there in both it and Urusei.

As for Maison Ikkoku, it has no match as far as I'm concerned. One of the best, bar none.

I'm a huge Takahashi fan, but Inuyasha left me very cold, sad to say. I may finish it one day, but as it stands I read the first 40 chapters and couldn't handle it anymore. And that was several years ago. Every character in that series has already been done in one of her own previous works, and done much better at that.

A better Takahashi choice for horror and demons would be Mermaid Saga. Don't be fooled by the name, its a serious story with horror elements, and its pretty damn bloody. Its also really cool.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

brunoafh wrote:^ The Spriggan game for PSX is pretty good by the way.

I'm about to start watching Votoms.

Never knew it had a game. Oh and VOTOMS is ace. Do post your opinion if you don't mind, most whom I've recommended watching the series rather enjoyed it.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image