What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendat

Post by Xeogred »

I've been rewatching Hunter x Hunter (1999) while finally catching up on the newest handful of chapters, which are extremely good. Kurapika is the GOAT of this series to me, always liked him way more than Gon and Killua.

jfrost wrote:Other than that, I'll probably go back and watch a classic. It's likely going to be Giant Robo, as I've been curious about it forever.

I watched it earlier this year and really dug it. Same director as G Gundam I believe.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Xeogred wrote:I've been rewatching Hunter x Hunter (1999) while finally catching up on the newest handful of chapters, which are extremely good. Kurapika is the GOAT of this series to me, always liked him way more than Gon and Killua.

jfrost wrote:Other than that, I'll probably go back and watch a classic. It's likely going to be Giant Robo, as I've been curious about it forever.

I watched it earlier this year and really dug it. Same director as G Gundam I believe.

Yasuhiro Imagawa. He's done a lot of mecha stuff like the first 3 episodes of Getter Robo Armageddon, Shin Mazinger and the absolutely fantastic 2004 Tetsujin 28 series. I can't recommend that last one enough.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

Gunstar Green wrote:Yasuhiro Imagawa. He's done a lot of mecha stuff like the first 3 episodes of Getter Robo Armageddon, Shin Mazinger and the absolutely fantastic 2004 Tetsujin 28 series. I can't recommend that last one enough.

Tetsujin going into my plan to watch list. Thanks, guys.
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

Is been a long time since I post here. Just going through my backlogged of anime since I last post on and off.

I just finish watching FLAG and have to say, it might be a very interesting show I have watch this year and will become one of my hidden gems show in my collection. I check out who created the show and found out it's from Ryōsuke Takahashi, well known for Armored Trooper VOTOMS series but known for me for show and movie of Phoenix, Gasaraki, or Blue Gender to name a few. FLAG is a drama/action show which take place during a civil war in a small country in Asia. You follow two characters in the show (Saeko Shirasu and Keiichi Akagi) who recording the situation of the country during the uneasy peace when the UN come in the country to stop the fighting. The only difference is you see it in two different point of event (Saeko Shirasu attached to the UN special force while Keiichi Akagi cover the event in the city).

The show make makes use of a still and video cameraman POV, as well as "web cam" images, to create a documentary-like narrative, despite being an animated drama which make it a very unique and not something I tend to see in anime and did it in a way which actually help move the plot of the show quite well. The switch from main female character to the support character when telling the show actually work quite well as you start to understand the situation of the event happening the country they're in.

I don't know if the show is for everyone as this feel like a documentary show and they don't to have much action stuff to follow. A lot of talking of the situation and the plan to solve the issue the UN force was going to do but if you like more development of the situations and also a detail character development of the characters in the show, I would recommend a watch as I don't tend to hear much people talking about this show.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

FLAG was the first show I watched for the year, definitely a cool and unique show. I think the Mobile Suit Gundam IGLOO series is kind of similar, though they're dated CGI only.
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

Xeogred wrote:FLAG was the first show I watched for the year, definitely a cool and unique show. I think the Mobile Suit Gundam IGLOO series is kind of similar, though they're dated CGI only.

I did watch MSIGLOO when it aired in Japan and also got a physical copy of the show (the DVD version of the two series.....need to get the Blu-Ray version to get all 3 series). It do have some similar method to tell the story (the webcam POV shot) and the MC who isn't a solider in the military and was in the force as an engineering team to test out prototype mobile suit/armor/weapon but it's a very different show. FLAG have this developing of the situation of the civil war/uneasy peace in the country and also the characters you're following and how they react of the situation. Also, the pacing is much slower and don't try to stick with the major incident but more of how the character react with one and another. This bring out a much better character development from the female MC and the special force team she shadowing and similar to a point for the male MC.

MSIGLOO is kinda different a bit. It do try to develop the characters in the show a bit and also pilots for the prototype equipment but as the show follow episodic format, you don't have a deeper feeling for most of the characters and do feel shallow for most of them except for the MC in the show (and maybe the female MC a bit because of her personality). Secondary, most of the work in the show is coming down to the prototype weapon itself and how effective it was when attacking the enemies force which I have to say it's the best part of the show.....the big battle scene. This eventually the main focus of the second half of MSIGLOO of big battle and also petty politics of the situation in the war when the team realize they're not going to win the war against the Earth Federation. Still, it's still a good OVA to watch and do watch the sequel MS IGLOO 2: Gravity of the Battlefront even though you're now following the opposite side of the war.

Just going to post what I have watch for the last 8 months since I last post (going to be a very quick summary).

Tiger & Bunny Franchise series (TV series and Two movies)
Think super heroes from marvel or DC but put them on live TV where they catch criminals in real life like a game show and have sponsors who pay for the heroes to promote the companies brand on live TV and outside in real life while try to be the top 1st of the games show. That's the main general idea of the show. The show mostly focus two MC, "Wild Tiger" Kaburagi and the rookie hero Barnaby "Bunny" Brooks Jr., as they are forced by their employers to work together to fight crime. Kaburagi is an old fashion super hero who have a heart of gold and reason of why he is fighting crime while Barnaby is more newer generation of hero who tend to find the best way to capture the criminal so, he can get more points in the game show. Both have opposite personalities but somehow work quite well in the show.

A very fun show to watch but do have some dry spell which might take some of the fun away when watching (actually stop me watching this show for few weeks before I come back). As this is a super heroes show, get ready for typical cliche you tend to see in this type of show and man...some of them are typical and have to be expected when watching. Do watch this show in English Dub as it's done quite well and work well for this show. Hell, one of the voice you hear is the same voice from play Batman in the TV show in the 90s. They is two movies for this series. The 1st movie (The beginning) could be avoid as it summarize quite a few episodes in the TV show but do add few stuff which isn't shown in the show. Would watch it even if you did watch the show. The 2nd movie is the one you need to watch after the show as it continue where it end in the show. Would recommend the show for everyone if you never have a chance to watch the show.

Tiger & Bunny Preview clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUUeYb5agr0

Najica Blitz Tactics
A top perfume designer leads a secret life as a secret agent who eventually partner with an android girl to fight crime as an agent duo. Sound interesting but very boring and generic to watch. Story is very simple two dimensional tone with the majority of the characters (even the major one) are generic and not too interesting to follow. Fight scene are meh at best. The only reason you're watching this generic show is the tons of panty and some nude shot which they throw into the show mostly in battle scene fight. Hell, almost all the villains are woman with sexy dress and with guns. Even with this stuff, it's still bland to watch. Don't ever watch this show in English Dub. Sound like ever voice actors/actress are bored when voicing the characters in the show (feel like they're doing this to get a check for work). Avoid it if you can unless you have too much time to waste or want to see how panty shot look like in the early 2000s :mrgreen:

Najica Blitz Tactics preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4OivMAAPo0

AIKa
Agent Aika is an adventure anime OVA series which follows Aika Sumeragi, a salvager for hire who gets caught up in a plot for world domination. This is really a guilty pleasure show to watch. Basically the show consist of female characters who dress up in sexy outfit, who show their body in sexual positions (this consist of panty shot), and you might see some nude shot once a while in the show. All of this in this action show where every woman have guns to kill the female MC but terrible to taking her down for some reason. Story is simple to the point so, don't think too hard when watching. Character development are there but very limited to the main female character in the show. The action scene might be the only thing interesting to watch and might be where this show shine a bit (that and fan services). Would recommend to people who like to see ecchi (fan services), or woman with guns taking down other woman with guns in sexy outfit, or have nothing to watch in anime show currently but want something which is very easy to watch (brain dead show) and don't have to watch a long show ( 7 episodes). A very catchy opening theme song I have to say.

AIKa Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjuBkRYhirI

Will continue my post of show I have watch and a quick impression about them later.
Last edited by johnblade on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

A continuation of show I have watch with a very quick impression.

AIKa R-16: Virgin Mission
This is actually a prequel to the Agent Aika OVA series and released on the tenth anniversary of the series. It takes place ten years before Agent Aika and follows the story of Aika's first mission when she is 16 years old. I would stop there and say do not watch this show as it's a very boring to the point I stop watching after the 1st episodes and go watch another show before I come back to finish it (it's just 3 episodes long). Nothing really good to say as it's just generic and boring to watch. Plot is forgettable, action scenes (with fan service) is meh to watch, and you don't care much of the main characters in the show as they isn't any character development and if they is any, it's very generic. In a way, this show kinda ruin the original show, AIKa, if you did watch it as this is really a cheap shot of trying to cash in this franchise. They is sequel from this franchise, AIKa Zero, which suppose to go a bit detail of the MC but I didn't watch it yet and don't feel like to even want to based on this show. Avoid at all cost.

AIKa R-16: Virgin Mission preview (LOL...no preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMarkh1Wa-c

Black Lagoon/Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage
I did talk a bit of the 1st season but didn't have a chance for the 2nd season. Still, a very good show to watch with one of the show which should be watch in English Dub as it's very good. Continue where the 1st season end and love it quite a bit either from the action scene or the character development between the two main characters in the show. The 2nd season might be the saddest arc in the series and the ending is very depressing to watch when you realize they is no way to change the destiny of one of the female characters in the show (man...the final fight is just sad to watch). Let's not forgot the twin child which is also pretty mess up when you realize the situation between them. Still, a great show to watch and need to go watch Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail which I am holding off till it's the right time to watch it. Would recommend to watch.

Black Lagoon/Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KgtNdG_zfE

Burn Up Scramble
Ahh...the final show in the Burn Up franchise and it's actually an alternative version of the series so, you don't have to watch the original series to watch the show which is fine. Like the other show, it's basically a low tier police crime fighting babes kicking ass stuff with fan service sprinkle here and there and this show is not much different. So, expect the same thing here from the other Burn Up series. Overall, it's an okay show with a very forgettable story but easy to watch from beginning to end and you don't have to spend to much time on the characters. All are okay but none are as interesting to talk about. Good show to just play on the background and you do something else.

Burn Up Scramble Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yyk56_uWPs

Cleopatra D.C.
Cleopatra D.C. is a manga series by Kaoru Shintani about a fictional United States corporation, led by the beautiful and spirited Cleopatra Corns. The anime OVA is actually not bad to watch. As this is a 3 episodes OVA, it follow the episodic style format which do help to tell the story arch for each episode. It's not bad and do have some character development between the main female characters and the support characters for each episode but it isn't really a show you will remember as much as nothing really crazy or interesting happen in the show (the plot line is more in the generic side) hence, a very forgettable show. Two areas this show is a bit different. One area which is the music and mostly the ending theme song of each episode. It's very catchy to listen to. Second is the animation mostly the look of the character design (look like the manga look from the 80s). Very different and not something you tend to see in the time. Other than that, the show is okay to watch but very forgettable.
No preview as they isn't one for this show but you can see the entire show on YouTube if you're interested.

ef: A Tale of Melodies/ef: A Tale of Memories.
I don't have to say much about this show stories but the general idea is you follow quite a few characters in the show of the situation they're in range from a character who lost her memories after certain amount of time have pass (which mean she need to keep a diary for her to remember her past) from an accident, to relationship between two girls which the guy have to decide which one is the one for him, to a character who is going to die from an disease and want to distance himself so he can die alone, and so on. This is actually a visual novel game which I heard about and did manage to get the show and watch it and do feel like I am watching a Japanese sad drama show with all the emotional stuff slap at you for each character arch. Not that it's bad but you kinda see it from a long distance once you see the formula format (not much better in season 2). I still think the female character with a memories loss might be the better arch story in the entire series over the other arch. Also, good soundtrack music from the show. Work quite well to push the emotional scene in the show. Only recommend if you like those sad emotional show with string pull to get your emotional trigger (see Clannad ).

ef: A Tale of Melodies preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtiaHmrLDs&t=68s

Most shows to post later on from my quick impression...
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I am now done with my Hunter x Hunter rewatch. I watched the 1999 series again, the Yorkshin OVA, then jumped to the 2011 remake for Greed Island, skipped Chimera Ants, and finished up with the awesome Election arc. This in the midst of me finally catching up on the manga again and the current arc going might be the best thing next to Yorkshin. This series is immaculate.
AnneBinette

Post by AnneBinette »

I'm actually rewatching Berserk's movies.
And I'm watching too, Black clover, JoJo Bizarre and Baki.
It's the anime that I like the most lately.
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

AnneBinette wrote:I'm actually rewatching Berserk's movies.
And I'm watching too, Black clover, JoJo Bizarre and Baki.
It's the anime that I like the most lately.

That's fine of what you watch. I am more into older anime now and don't tend to watch recent anime you see now in Japan except for the few which got my attention. I am actually trying to thin down my backlogged and did manage to watch quite a few show this years which is a good thing as it's slowly growing every year now. I am going to start watching Phantom Memory Kurau or Black Lagoon Roberta Blood Trail depend on my mood and then decide to see what to watch later.

A continuation of show I have watch with a very quick impression.

Origin: Spirits of the Past
Take some of the early Miyazaki's works idea like Princess Mononoke or Valley of the Wind but remove all the fun and good things from those movie and put in the bad stuff and you got this movie. Only positive thing I have to say and also very stupid dumb that it's actually funny is the weapon which can change the world back to it's original status before the incident. Even that isn't worth watch. Avoid it and stick with the better version of the movie.

Origin: Spirits of the Past Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vns32-58YZs

Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror
A very Disney feel movie which follow the MC who went to this different dimension and unseen by humans to a world a fox like creature lives. Here mission is to find her mirror which is a precious childhood gift from her late mother who pass away. A fun movie to watch from beginning to end. It's all CGI with bright colorful animation. Would recommend this movie to people who have a kids and want to watch this with them.

Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92wEkHF63cc

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
This is just a random anime I just pick up to watch and love it all the way. Basically, a slice of life anime but this time you follow a female dragon who change into a human form and live with another female characters and basically take care of her owner while the main female go to work and along the way, a lot of funny things happen mostly from the dragon maid and her friends. A very fun show to watch and easy to get into it. Ending can be better but can't really bland the show. Worth watching if you like wacky comedy with slice of life tone. Also, need season 2.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDSCziT9jlM

Lupin the Third, The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
If you're a Lupin fans, you might like it even though it's different than a typical Lupin show. An interesting take as you follow Fujiko characters and her situation she is in while colleague from the series do pop in each episodes base on the situation. Much darker and a bit serious than a normal Lupin show but this might be the reason I like this show a bit more than usual. Also, the animation look is very different and more unique which is a good thing. Worth a watch if you never see the show yet. NOTE: A very mature show tone.

Lupin the Third, The Woman Called Fujiko Mine Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlGaTLtFNWg

NieA_7
I don't know what to say about this show as it's a very different. It's basically a slice of life show as you follow the MC in her every day life but this time she is follow with an alien creature. It's an odd show to watch and I actually don't mind watching but it's not a show I would recommend for everyone. Do watch an episode or two on streaming site to see if it's interesting.

NieA_7 Preview episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv6V8bB4VIQ\

Odin: Starlight Mutiny
It's a B movie version of Battleship Space Yamato (from the same creator). Not too hard to follow but it isn't too crazy different. I would avoid the North American 90min release of this movie and go watch the Japanese 2 hours 15 minutes version because of the cuts. An okay movie but nothing is worth recommend of this movie except if you're a fan of Yamato style movie or anime or you love the epic music in the preview video which catch my attention.

Odin: Starlight Mutiny Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_ZGU6jv6hY

Paprika
If you're a fans of Satoshi Kon's work, I don't need to say much about this movie and love it all the way from plot to character development, to the beautiful animation design which look amazing in HD. Go watch this movie if you never have a chance or watch the preview to get some idea of the movie.

Paprika Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn7U1KIGeuQ

Riding Bean
A fun one episode with the feel of 80s action show. Very entertaining to watch and very short to the point you wish the show continue over the 1 OVA (which they kinda did under GunSmith Cats).

Riding Bean Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9cDV7ZM-Cc

Serial Experiments Lain
I don't need to say much about this show as most people heard about this. Only thing I can say is this is from pre internet and based on what was discuss in the show do happen as it happen in real life which is interesting. Go watch it if you never saw it yet and never even heard about it.

Serial Experiments Lain Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5y4nQ5Y1V8

The Sky Crawlers
From the director Mamoru Oshii, you expect this movie to be very interesting but it's kinda bland and isn't as interesting as I expected The dog fight scene battle with the aircraft might be the big strength in the movie and the music sound track is decent but the animation is very simple with very lack of detail (you tend to see this in the character design). Story wise is okay but not too interesting. Would skip this movie and see his other popular movie from his work collection.

The Sky Crawlers Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JadGsaSC6rI

Gunbuster/Gunbuster 2
I don't need to say much. Great OVA to watch and love both of them for different reason. If you never watch it, go watch the OVA asap. Just epic to watch.

Gunbuster/Gunbuster 2 Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVTZAN-6wY4

That's should be all the anime I have watch as of now from this year. Still need to get through some more of my backlogged before the year end. So many anime.....so little time. :roll: