What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
johnblade
32-bit

Re: What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendat

Post by johnblade »

MrPopo wrote:I never got around to seeing the second season. But I loved the first season. Just the right mixture of zaniness to be entertaining without being over the top.

I heard season 3 end quite well for the character arch in the show and it's actually decent. I won't know yet as I didn't watch it. Also, they is another one which take a slight different from the series which I will wait for now.
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

Synopsis

Appleseed takes place in the aftermath of World War III, where the General Management Control Office has constructed the experimental city known as Olympus. Built to be a paradise on Earth, Olympus is inhabited by humans, cyborgs, and bioroids (genetically engineered humans designed for increased physical capabilities and decreased emotional capabilities). Bioroids run and control all of the administrative functions of Olympus, ensuring that the city remains the utopian society it was meant to be for all of its citizens. But for some people living in Utopia, the city has become less of a home and more of a cage.

Police officer Calon Mautholos has grown to despise Olympus following his wife's suicide, blaming her death on the lack of creative freedom caused by the rules binding the citizens of the city. As his hatred for the city grows, Calon conspires with the terrorist A.J. Sebastian to destroy the Legislature of the Central Management Bureau to send the rules of Olympus that killed his wife tumbling down. But when Calon discovers it is not political malcontent, but rather hatred for bioroids that motives Sebastian, Calon turns renegade and gains the attention of city officials. Deunan Knute and her partner Briareos of the ESWAT counter-terrorism unit are dispatched to hunt down and stop Calon and Sebastian... by any means necessary!

Just go through this movie as it's in my collection backlogged for a while now. After finished watching this movie, the 1st thing I question about this OVA is whether or not it need more than 1 episodes as it feel like it can be better with more episodes. Just from what I watch, it's really bland and lack of magic which make this OVA very forgettable. As of now, the plot of the OVA is a bit generic. Terrorists trying to bring down the Utopian society of Olympus so what left of the humanity doesn't become like a caged animal. Nothing special and do give you enough to push the story forward.

For the character development, it's a bit generic with some minor backstory for the two main characters (Deunan Knute and Briareos) and one of the villain (Calon Mautholos) from flash back scene to dialogue from conversation of other characters in the show. You found out a bit more of Calon side and his reason of what he did and some more info of Deunan. As for the other villain in the OVA, they isn't really much development of him and just made him the big bad guy with skills but it didn't developed as much and his conclusion is kinda disappointed as he was build up (literally) to be in this monster mech.

Animation design is also generic and bland. Nothing really stand out and it do have this generic 80s anime feel look. Also, the character or the mech animation quality are mixed. Sometime, you notice the amount of detail on certain characters while other, it's very simple. The animation of the Mech battle scene are okay to watch and workable but it isn't something I can say amazing for it's time. Also, as I am watching the Manga Entertainment North American DVD released (Discotek is releasing this OVA in DVD by the end of this month), it look like a VHS quality slapped onto the DVD as color of the animation have this lighter look.

Overall, I do feel like this OVA can do a bit more better if it have more than one episodes to try to develop better in the plot and character side. But what we get is this generic feel show which is very forgettable for more people who watch animated show. The only reason it might be pick up now is the CGI animation series Appleseed which released in 2004 which I think people who love Appleseed CGI series might want to check this OVA out.

Unless you're a fan of Masamune Shirow's work or a big fans of Appleseed, avoid this OVA as you're not really missing much and maybe look at Dominion Tank Police series which is much more fun to watch over this (and it's also Masamune Shirow's work).

Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Finished Devilman: Crybaby today. Definitely a case where I don't want to read the manga or anything, because what I got out of the show was not what I went in expecting, but something I really liked coming out of it.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Caught up on My Hero Academia, which was fantastic. It's basically streamlined naruto, but instead of ninjas its heroes. Also started watching HxH which is meh so far. Three seasons in, and i don't dislike it enough to stop watching but I'm not exactly excited to watch more.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

I know I can't really talk since it's my first time seeing it, but Evangelion's new dub seems perfectly fine to me. A lot of people keep mentioning it seems "stilted", but I haven't gotten that at all.

If literal translation comes out that smoothly, I don't have much complaint about it.

opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I know I can't really talk since it's my first time seeing it, but Evangelion's new dub seems perfectly fine to me. A lot of people keep mentioning it seems "stilted", but I haven't gotten that at all.

If literal translation comes out that smoothly, I don't have much complaint about it.

I just finished Evangelion myself. Hadn't seen it before but I was pleased with the dub.
not pleased with that ending, however. I think one of the movies is the actual ending or something. Gonna watch that next.
marurun

Post by marurun »

No, the ending you saw was indeed intended. Later reimagining of the ending is just that.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

I feel like I both did and did not understand the last two episodes of Evangelion. They both made sense, but I have some questions unanswered that really change he w I can interpret things. Giving it a rest for today though, I'll watch EoE tomorrow.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I feel like I both did and did not understand the last two episodes of Evangelion. They both made sense, but I have some questions unanswered that really change he w I can interpret things. Giving it a rest for today though, I'll watch EoE tomorrow.

The secret to NGE is to not overthink it, lol. Some of the fanbase likes to go too far with this one. It's a good 8/10 series in my book and I'd never deny the cultural impact it's had, especially in Japan, seems like a household name over there still to this day. It'll be interesting to see how a new generation of viewers react to it. But yeah, you'd never catch me calling it the greatest thing ever or whatnot.

EoE is indeed pretty much the main ending.

Xenogears is better. 8)
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Xeogred wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:I feel like I both did and did not understand the last two episodes of Evangelion. They both made sense, but I have some questions unanswered that really change he w I can interpret things. Giving it a rest for today though, I'll watch EoE tomorrow.

The secret to NGE is to not overthink it, lol. Some of the fanbase likes to go too far with this one. It's a good 8/10 series in my book and I'd never deny the cultural impact it's had, especially in Japan, seems like a household name over there still to this day. It'll be interesting to see how a new generation of viewers react to it. But yeah, you'd never catch me calling it the greatest thing ever or whatnot.

EoE is indeed pretty much the main ending.

Xenogears is better. 8)

Oh, I'm not trying to overthink it at all, and I assume EoE will have most of the answers. Most of my questions aren't "deep", just more like- "this character was shown in this place in Episode 25 but it's never explained how they got there" kind of stuff.

EDIT: and now that I've seen EoE, I'm left with only a few questions, most being answered by EoE. But most of the questions left are really up to interpretation, which will drive me nuts if I think too much on it.