What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Arenegeth
24-bit

Re: What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendat

Post by Arenegeth »

I second Hellsing (though I haven't watched Ultimate yet) and Blood, though again, I only watched the original.

I thought of a few classic stuff you might like, if you haven't seen them already, but if you haven't seen Akira, is possible.

There's lots more, but that should give you a head start.

These are all classics, and most old anime fans have already seen them by the end of the 90's (though some have gotten new stuff since), as I mentioned before, anime doesn't really hit the spot for me anymore (too much ecchi among other things) but some of these were really my jam back in the day.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Just watched GATE on Hulu, fantastic show that everyone should check out. A gate to a fantasy realm opens in Japan and the JSDF goes in to check it out, and fight. Really cool show.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

Synopsis
Hi no Tori is a collection of stories that all have something in common. The Phoenix, whose blood is believed to give an eternal life to one who drinks it. Therefore many seek to kill it, but as the Phoenix of the tale, it's reborn from the ashes. Stories take place in future and the past, where humans fight with each other as always, and everyone is afraid to die. But still, every story teaches a lesson: Life is beginning of an eternity, an never-ending cycle.

Just finished watching Hi no tori, The Phoenix which is based on the popular manga from the famous animated creator Osamu Tezuka (aka: the creator of Astro Boy and basically "the father of manga"). As this was based on the manga work of the same name which he never completed, they're many different stories arch but this show only go into 5 stories arch. They're list below.

Dawn (黎明編 reimei-hen)This story takes place in 240–70, in the era of Queen Himiko of the Yamataikoku. Using her army, led by feudal general Sarutahiko, to invade Japan, she seeks the Phoenix and eternal youth.

Resurrection (復活編 fukkatsu-hen) The story takes place in 2482-3344 AD. In an age of robotics, technology and science, young Leon dies in a car accident. He is returned to life by scientific surgery, but his now mostly-artificial brain makes him see living things -- including humans -- as distorted clay figures, while he sees machines and robots as beauties. Leon falls in love with a worker robot, Chihiro, whom he sees as a beautiful girl, and will fight for this forbidden love. He will also find out the secret behind his accident. A side plot features the robot Robita, who previously appeared in Future.

Strange Beings (異形編 igyō-hen)The story of a female Buddhist nun (bhikkhuni) who is imprisoned in a time-warp by the Phoenix as punishment for her sins along with her faithful retainer and is forced to become a healer treating the victims of wars from all over time and space including humans, youkai and various extraterrestrials. This chapter was loosely based on the Hyakki Yakō emakimono by the famous Japanese artist Tosa Mitsunobu (although in the context of the story it's the complete reverse).

Sun (太陽編 taiyō-hen) This is the longest story, and was the final volume completed before Tezuka's death. It centres around Harima, a young Korean soldier from the Baekje Kingdom whose head is replaced with that of a wolf by Tang Dynasty soldiers following the defeat of the joint Baekje-Yamato force at the Battle of Baekgang. He then escapes to Japan where he becomes the feudal lord Inugami and becomes caught in the middle of the Jinshin War, as well as joining a greater battle between supernatural forces and time-travelling to a bleak future world ruled by a theocracy that claim to have captured the Phoenix. This chapter stands in stark contrast to the earlier historical Phoenix stories, which tended to de-mythologize the mythical characters therein, for instance in Dawn, many Shinto gods are portrayed as mere humans. In this chapter, however, various Youkai, Oni, Tengu and other mythical creatures are shown fighting against Bodhisattva.

Future (未来編 mirai-hen)
This is the final story; it takes place near the end of mankind. In 3404, the world has become super-modernized, but humanity has reached its peak and shows decline. A young man named Masato Yamanobe is living with his girlfriend, Tamami, a shapeshifting alien. Pursued by Masato's boss, Rock, they eventually take shelter at the isolated base of mad scientist Dr. Saruta, who attempts to preserve life on Earth with the assistance of his robot, Robita. Eventually, nuclear war breaks out.

As this is based on the manga, I never read all of them except the last volume Future (未来編 mirai-hen). From that one, they're quite a few stuff have been modified to tell the story in the show which mean they're few detail parts which have been remove completely or modified a bit to tell the arch in a limited amount of time. The main story is still the same which is a good thing. Whether this is a good or bad thing it will depend if you have read the manga and if you did, are you okay with the minor change or are you the one who want to see the entire story from the manga into the anime. For this reason, the entire 5 stories arch might have quite a bit of change from the manga but the main storyline should be the same when watching.

Off all the 5 stories arch, the Dawn (黎明編 reimei-hen) and Sun (太陽編 taiyō-hen) are the strongest of telling the stories. The other three arch are fine but very short (1 or 2 episodes per arch) which you kinda feel it's a bit of a rush and just need one more episode to help develop the story a bit more. Even with this issue, they're still fine to watch and you start to understand the main theme from the show.

Animation wise, it isn't going to blow you away and the quality is mix in some area. The style is similar to what Osamu Tezuka work but with some minor modem touch. I don't really hate it as most of my time is follow the main story line which is engaging from the two better arch.

It's a fun watch and very good for someone who like some of Osamu Tezuka's work he did in the past. If you don't have any clue of the manga this is based on, I still think you will like it for what it's and if you have already read it, think of this show is a quick summary of the manga which is still fine for what it's.
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

Synopsis

When the level of Labor accidents begin to escalate around Tokyo Bay, police detectives Kusumi and Hata are assigned to investigate. What they discover leads to a series of government cover-ups, conspiracy concerning a new biological weapon entitled WXIII-Wasted Thirteen and a tragic, personal connection to Hata. The only hope to stop this threat is to cooperate with the military and lead WXIII into a showdown with the Labors of Special Vehicle Division 2.

Just finished watching the third movie from this franchise and have to say it's actually a good movie for what it's (in a way, have some similar feel from the 1st movie I have watch). Now, I think those who are a fans of this franchise will know this already but I think it's better to post it for those who never watch any of the Patlabor show/OVA/Movie. This isn't a patlabor movie as all the characters you love from the series have a very limited time in the movie (and I mean very limited time). Hell, the SV2 group won't be shown till 3/4 of the way of the movie and even then, they're either background characters or have a very limited screen time. Even the Ingram from the SV2 are only there for the major climax battle and even that isn't very long (just few minutes). Only Gotou have the longest time in the movie and that's only around 5-7 minutes. Not saying this make the movie bad. In the contrary, the movie itself is actually pretty good. A well written and paced story, beautiful animation and soundtrack which fit well for the visual. It might not be as good as the 1st movie but it stand well for it's own.

The story takes place around Tokyo Bay where a huge sea creature terrorize the water and causing damage of labors and killing people around the area. You follow detectives Kusumi and his junior partner, Hata, trying to found out what is causing this incident and (when found out) where this sea creature come from. Eventually, they manage to trace this to the character Misaki, a scientist and Hata's love interest which he met her near the beginning of the movie. Her backstory leads to some great revelations which adds layers to the plot and help push it to the climatic tragic ending. Like in Patlabor series, themes of inter bureaucratic political strife and tampering with natural life are at play in this movie but very subtle. Like the 1st movie, pacing is slow but it reveals the necessary detail when it need to push the story and leave very little loose plot threads hanging in the movie.

Most of the character development from this movie are coming down to the two major character, Kusumi and Hata. Kusumi is the old veteran cop who have experience knowledge and detective instincts which work well with Hata's observational skills and quick thinking. Also, Hata manage to draws out more of Misaki's motivations and thoughts. What she did was wrong and selfish but once you understand her reason of why she did it, you start to understand her reason (even if it's wrong in so many way). This eventually reach the tragic point at the end when all of her work is destroy while she have to watch her own creation destruction. Her reason and purpose to go on crease to exist after that which make the scene much sadder and even more for Hata.

Animation for the most part is consistently pleasant throughout the film and the artstyle is realistic. As this isn't direct by Oshii, it don't have the touch you see in his movie and you start to notice this in the movie like slow panning shots, symbolism, etc. Still, it's still good to watch. You can say the same with the music soundtrack in the movie. Kenji compose this film's soundtrack as with the other movie and even though it work well, you feel like they is a lack of punch.

Overall, this movie is actually good but don't have the touch like the other movie from Patlabor. You can blame a bit as this isn't direct by Oshii or a very limited characters present from the Patlabor franchise which we love. But by itself, the movie done well with a well written story, beautiful animation and soundtrack. Would recommend it and might be a good movie if you never saw any of the Patlabor series and just want a movie with a serious tone drama and which consist of monster attacking Japan.

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

johnblade wrote:Overall, this movie is actually good but don't have the touch like the other movie from Patlabor. You can blame a bit as this isn't direct by Oshii or a very limited characters present from the Patlabor franchise which we love. But by itself, the movie done well with a well written story, beautiful animation and soundtrack. Would recommend it and might be a good movie if you never saw any of the Patlabor series and just want a movie with a serious tone drama and which consist of monster attacking Japan.

This is how I feel too. I rarely hear anything good about WXIII because people go in with certain expectations that aren't met. If you go in wanting a film noir-ish monster movie though, it definitely delivers.

Also the labor animation we do get is fan-freaking-tastic.
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

Synopsis

Unlike most shows the three episodes are not only totally unrelated to each other but really don't follow a plot as such and are more a light hearted jibe at both the Patlabor series (TV and films) and other "mecha" Anime. Episode 1 is a brief introduction to the weaponry carried by the Ingram and how it was designed and why it is the way it is. Episode 2 looks at the design and maintenance of the Ingram 98 AV in SVU2 and takes a swipe at the marketing forces behind them (as in merchandising for the series). Episode 3 is the only one to attempt to expand on a very minor point raised in the original TV show and just how SVU2 is actually funded.

As this don't follow any of the Patlabor timeline and basically a spin off, you won't miss much from this three short episodes and it's more for the fans who want more Patlabor goodies. Still, it's a fun watch. The story for each episodes are funny to hear if you can keep up the quick dialogue. They will be time, I need to stop and go back to certain scene to understand what each main characters of each short are talking about.

The big noticeable thing you notice when watching is the animation design. It have this chibli feel look. All the characters have this cardboard puppets style look which is cute to watch. A very interesting style to try on for this series and kinda want a proper OVA in this style if they ever produce a new show. Also, they're many anime reference which you notice as you're watching which is fun to catch.

Overall, a fun short. Would a watch if you like series but not really missing much if you don't want to watch it.

Gunstar Green wrote:
johnblade wrote:Overall, this movie is actually good but don't have the touch like the other movie from Patlabor. You can blame a bit as this isn't direct by Oshii or a very limited characters present from the Patlabor franchise which we love. But by itself, the movie done well with a well written story, beautiful animation and soundtrack. Would recommend it and might be a good movie if you never saw any of the Patlabor series and just want a movie with a serious tone drama and which consist of monster attacking Japan.

This is how I feel too. I rarely hear anything good about WXIII because people go in with certain expectations that aren't met. If you go in wanting a film noir-ish monster movie though, it definitely delivers.

Also the labor animation we do get is fan-freaking-tastic.

I am really not too surprise as I heard a lot of negative impression or the movie is the weakness of the three from the series when it's actually well done (might not be as good as Oshii work but still as good). The movie kinda remind me of Jin Roh where it wasn't direct by Oshii (Hiroyuki Okiura if you're wondering) but it's Oshii's work he did and the movie itself is still good to watch. Still, it's better to think this movie as a side story which take place in the same timeline in Patlabor.

Also, as you say, the labor animation look great even though it isn't very long.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I had no idea this happened. I've been wanting this since I was a kid. Well, maybe not on blu-ray because it didn't exist but you know what I mean. :lol:
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

Synopsis

Kumiko Yamaguchi is smart, enthusiastic, and ready to start her dream job as a math teacher at Shirokin Academy. But as her first day opens on atrocious students and cowering teachers, Kumiko realizes that the all-boys high school is a cesspool of delinquents with no intention of improving themselves.

However, what her rowdy students don't know is that behind her dorky facade, Kumiko is the acting head of a powerful yakuza clan, and she has the skills to prove it! Capable of overpowering even the strongest of gangsters in seconds, Kumiko must keep her incredible strength and criminal influence a secret in order to keep her job. Unfortunately, with the vice principal constantly trying to get her fired and Shin Sawada, the leader of her class of delinquents, suspecting she's stronger than she lets on, Kumiko has a difficult teaching career ahead of her.

Watching Gokusen (the animated show) feel like I am watching so many similar show which try this formula so many time with mix resulted. This big one which did quite well (as an animated show) is G.T.O which almost all of the people who watch anime have already heard about this or already watch the show (or read the manga or go watch the live action one) and love it dearly. Gokusen is basically a G.T.O lite with a PG ratting as this is a cleaner, more superficial version without the darker subject topic you found on G.T.O (abuse, horniest talk, risk of death, etc).

The main storyline has been done before in so many anime over the years and Gokusen isn't really follow the same formula. They're some minor difference like the talking dog and the MC, Kumiko, is actually a head of the yakuza clan, but other than that, it follow the same fromula. Most of the episodes just focus on a students and their trouble while the teacher will teach and help them overcome their issues and the students start to be a bit smarter by the end of the episode.

Animation wise, it feel generic. Nothing great at all to be honest. Very little detail of the work and really didn't push much in animation wise. Fight scene is okay I have to say as a positive. This is the same issue with the music of the show. Very generic and nothing really catch my attention when watching the show.

As for the character development, majority of the characters are high students and they're the typical tough high school bully which you tend to hate them. They'll begin to grow hearts and have personalities just enough to like them a bit. Even with this, only the two MC duos are more interesting over the other characters which is kinda sad as you can see potential between them but this show didn't do much and kinda end it near the end.

Even with this flaw and issue I say about this show, it's still a fun show to watch. Like almost every show which try to go through this formula, it have enough stuff to keep the show entertaining from beginning to end. But don't expect this show to compete against G.TO.

It's kinda disappointing as I heard the manga is actually very good read and the live action drama TV shows and movie is actually good adaption. Might be wise to go watch the Live action drama show or stick with the manga for Gokusen as they're much better over the TV show. If you want those similar show, just stick with G.T.O as it did it much better over Gokusen and it's recommend to watch that show if you never watch it yet. For Gokusen anime, avoid it unless you want something to play on the background.

johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

Synopsis

Due to his love for small, cute things, Souta Takanashi cannot turn childlike Popura Taneshima down when she recruits him to work for Wagnaria, a family restaurant located in Hokkaido. Takanashi takes particular joy in doting on the older Popura, which only fuels her complex over how young she looks. He also quickly learns he must stay on his toes once he meets the rest of his colleagues, including the katana-wielding floor chief Yachiyo Todoroki, the intimidating head chef Jun Satou, the dangerously well-informed and subtly sadistic sous chef Hiroomi Souma, the adamantly lazy manager Kyouko Shirafuji, and the waitress Mahiru Inami who has a "painful" fear of men.

Powered by an eccentric cast, Working!! is a unique workplace comedy that follows the never-dull happenings within the walls of Wagnaria as Takanashi and his co-workers' quirky personalities combine to create non-stop antics, shenanigans, and hilarity.

Just taking my time finishing watching Wagnaria season 2 on and off and as a show which is known as a filler series (or a slice of life anime for others), it's actually very enjoyable to watch if you need something to watch over other animated show or you don't want to any plot heavy show. Like season 1, you have all of the characters in the family restaurant but this time some new additional characters came in this season. Those new characters do build up a bit of the story/characters plot but nothing too major. In a way, it help build up much more in the characters story arch which help expand some of the characters development quite a bit. It continued quite a bit of running gags from season 1 which do give me some chuckle when I watching it and if you love them in the 1st season, you should like it here (don't know if they can keep on pushing the same running gags for season 3 and it will get tiring quickly).

Not much to say for the story of Wagnaria as they isn't really much different from the 1st season which is basically Takanashi goes to work at a family restaurant where you see other characters in the show. Not saying it's bad but more like you won't really following for it now. Still, it's a very entertaining show to watch if you want something which is very easy to watch. If you like Wagnaria 1st season, you will like this show. Also, a much catchy intro OP which is better than the 1st season intro OP.

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I never got around to seeing the second season. But I loved the first season. Just the right mixture of zaniness to be entertaining without being over the top.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.