What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Re: What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendat

Post by Dikdikvandik »

johnblade wrote:
Dikdikvandik wrote:I am way WAY out of the anime loop, BUT certain gaming companies and their boneheaded racist censorship....have led me back.
I just picked up Prison School and Shimonetta to mark my triumphant return to the world of Animu.

BUT I have no idea about what's out now. I know the big hotness now is My Hero Academia, No real interest.
Happy Sugar life sounds...INTERESTING.

I'm very old school with my anime. Fist of the North Star, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Excel Saga are among my all time favorites...
and of course the unfinished symphony that is Berserk. I like me some mind fuck anime like Lain and every Evangelion ripoff ever.

Anything this Oldtaku should check out?

I guess it come down to genre of show you're interested to watch right now and what decade of anime you don't mind watching around. I might just throw some here just for you to look into. NOTE: Most of the anime are a bit older and not really recent show so, keep this in mind.

Abenobashi Mahou☆Shoutengai
Afro Samurai series
AIKa (just this series only. Don't watch the other sequel for it)
Binbougami ga! (If you like Excel Saga you might like this show for random stuff)
Black Lagoon and sequel
Cossette no Shouzou (might not for everyone cup of tea)
Dominion
Dual Parallel! Trouble Adventures (Think Evangelion but only the action scene and more into comedy)
RahXephon (Think Evangelion but less action and more thinking)
FLCL
Full Metal Panic! and the entire series
Gakkou no Kaidan
Great Teacher Onizuka
Golgo 13 (The movie and the TV series but pace a bit on the TV series as it might get boring if watching back to back)
Gunsmith Cats
Iria: Zeiram The Animation
Kamichu!
Kenran Butou Sai: The Mars Daybreak
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna
Macross Plus
Macross II
Macross
Miami Guns
Mousou Dairinin
Musekinin Kanchou Tylor
New Dominion Tank Police
Paprika
Riding Bean
Samurai Champloo
Sunabouzu
Taiho Shichau zo and the entire series
Texhnolyze
Tiger & Bunny and the entire series (Seriously go watch this series)
Gunbuster I and II
Venus Senki
Wolf's Rain
Witch Hunter Robin
Armitage III and the entire series
Bubblegum Crisis
Dirty Pair and the entire series

I've seen or heard of alot of these. Of these I've seen.

Wolf's Rain
Witch Hunter Robin
Armitage III and the entire series
Macross Plus
Afro Samurai series
FLCL
Full Metal Panic! and the entire series
GTO
Samurai Champloo (When I had long hair I looked like Jin)
Golgo 13 (Only Queen bee)
Gunsmith Cats
Iria: Zeiram The Animation
RahXephon (YAY Deus Ex Machina endings)
Black Lagoon and sequel (Hated the Russian woman and wanted her to get hers and she never did)
Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna (One episode and I dug it, naked Fujiko is something I liked seeing)
Venus Senki (Venus wars?)
Abenobashi Mahou☆Shoutengai (Gainax?)

marurun wrote:“Racist” censorship? WTF? :roll:

Very long story, it was in a twitter thread. We noticed a trend, there was a conspiracy theory involving Aniplex and Funimation....
It got interesting.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I finished Hi Score Girl on Netflix last night. As far as rom-coms go, it was alright. I mostly watched it for all the video game references which were plentiful. I recognized most of the arcade games they featured and maybe half of the console games. I did get a good chuckle out of the Neo Geo CD scene.

After watching the whole thing, I really want to get a PC Engine and more 90's fighters!
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Picked up Cyber City this weekend, haven't watched it yet but super stoked to.
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

A new year which mean new year to watch anime. Just finish watching Wagnaria!! and like it so far. Nothing too crazy to say as it's basically a slice of life/comedy anime except this all happen in the restaurant where majority of the characters in the show are working there. The comedy come down to the weird stuff for each characters in the show and how they try to fix them. Very easy to watch and can see why people recommend this show to me when I need something to binge watching but don't want deep storyline. Will most likely go watch season 2 and 3 later on while I am going through other show.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I loved Working, though I never got around to watching beyond the first season, as they came out after I had fallen out of keeping up with anime. It has the most addictive opening thing.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

MrPopo wrote:I loved Working, though I never got around to watching beyond the first season, as they came out after I had fallen out of keeping up with anime. It has the most addictive opening thing.

That opening theme is stuck in my head and I can see why people like the show. Even season 02 opening is also as catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Z9Ysc31AE
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

This season blows, but Mob Psycho II is fantastic.
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

Synopsis
In the future, rapidly advancing technology gives birth to giant robots known as "Labors," so named for their usefulness in heavy industry. However, this also gives rise to "Labor crimes," resulting the need for a new branch of law enforcement equipped with and dedicated to the policing of Labors. When Izumi Noa, a female police officer, becomes the newest recruit of Special Vehicle Division 2, she and her top of the line "Patrol Labor" (or "Patlabor") Alphonse are swept into a series of adventures featuring crazed construction workers, eco-terrorists, and sea monsters.

Just finish watching Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days as I am going through the Patlabor movie timeline and a great way to get into this series for the 1st time. Some quick impression from watching this OVA.

The beginning half of the OVA have a comedic tone in the episode which kinda bring out a bit more of all of the characters in the show. You will start to learn quickly everyone in the show and their personalities. As this is more comedic, the situations the Special Vehicle Division 2 have to go through are funny to watch and they is an episode which is basically Godzilla spoof which is fun to watch. The 2nd half is where thing get very serious in the OVA where a terrorist attack is going to happen in Japan and the Special Vehicle Division 2 will need to find a way to stop it from happening. A very interesting arch which is worth the watch when you see how the division have to find a way to get around the issue they're in and still try to found out more of the incident and how to stop it.

The show is very different in what we tend to see in most Mecha show at the time. This is basically a every day life of a cop (or a police division) fighting crime in everyday Japan and have to go through the typical police procedure only this time, they're using Patlabor to combat other labors. You notice this also in the characters in the show. As this OVA have some serious and light humor episodes, you got to see in full colorful cast in the OVA which is actually a big strength as you got to love everyone (even Gotou who have this silent individual tone but got to open up in the serious arch in the OVA).

The animation artstyle (which is over 30 years old) for this OVA still look good and age quite well. The work they put in this OVA is noticeable from the Patlabor mech, to the character animation and movement to the background scene is design well from this hand drawn work.

Overall, a great OVA which is fun to watch and a great starting point for the Patlabor franchises.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Love Patlabor and love Kanuka! The OVA and TV series are definitely different and unique, I'd compare them to Planetes. It's kind of fun and fascinating to watch a show based around mundane job work though haha, I dig them. The Patlabor movies are much more serious and different. The third one wasn't directed by Oshii and is pretty bad...

I'm not sure which portion I like most, but the TV series is in the same vein as the OVA with its fun charm and tone. And yeah the art/animation is excellent.

strangenova wrote:Picked up Cyber City this weekend, haven't watched it yet but super stoked to.

Oedo? Been meaning to rewatch this one myself, one of my favorite OVA's and I haven't seen it in ages.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Xeogred wrote:
strangenova wrote:Picked up Cyber City this weekend, haven't watched it yet but super stoked to.

Oedo? Been meaning to rewatch this one myself, one of my favorite OVA's and I haven't seen it in ages.
Yes it doesn't say Oedo on the case but it is indeed. Still haven't watched it, my buddy wanted to watch it with me. Everytime we get together we just work on our YouTube videos though, so I'm probably just gonna watch it myself this week or the next.