What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendat

Post by Xeogred »

Nemoide wrote:So I'm one of those crazy individuals who actually bought Sentai's super-expensive blu-ray set of The Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I don't think I even got halfway through when I first tried to watch the series, but I mostly attribute that to not liking to watch things on my PC; I was definitely a fan. But at the same time I remember during my original watch, I had trouble getting into the first couple episodes.

Anyway, I'm three episodes in to my rewatch and am COMPLETELY IN LOVE WITH THIS SERIES. It does space opera exactly how I like! I can't wait to get through the whole thing and then explore the spinoffs. I feel like I'd like to read the novels too, but that might be too much of a commitment.

Man you're in for a treat. So you haven't seen beyond the first few episodes at all? It only continues to get better and better.

It was technically an OVA production, which is why I think the licensed deal here produced such a monstrously expensive set. The episodes are a bit longer too, usually closer to a full 30 minutes unlike most anime. I took the series one episode at a time a night back in 2009 I think, it was a real treat and often the highlight of my day haha.

The Golden Wings movie is terrible... different artist too. Weird stuff.

The Reinhard prequel is amazing though, but yeah I think you actually get more out of it watching it on release date order, so you can hit this one up after the main series. The Yang prequel sadly wasn't as good, his original VA had passed away sadly and his new replacement wasn't the best fit for it, they also switched to digital animation so it looks kind of ugly. Still worth a look when you're ready for more though, just not a peak of the series.

So wait, did you watch the whole thing already or no? I seriously need to rewatch it myself. I've only seen the original CA fansubs, never got around to the BD rips yet. I wish I could afford this official release but it's definitely too much for me.

I've gotten more into history/politics with age so yeah, I think I'll love it even more a second time through. :lol:
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I watched maybe 40 episodes around 6 years ago. And I have the Golden Wings movie on VHS (raw Japanese, found at a Book-Off). So I experienced a decent chunk of it!

But I've never seen about 60-70 episodes of the core series *and* the 52 episodes of side-story, PLUS the other movies. So I have a lot ahead of me! I'm only up to episode 4 *now* so I don't expect to be done until next year. I'm taking a similar approach of one episode a day, usually in the evening. I try to watch an episode of anime in the morning as I eat breakfast/drink coffee, but in my mind LotGH is more of a nighttime show than a morning-show.

Oh, and FYI if you want to watch it in HD but aren't planning on the crazy-person physical release, it's all streaming on HiDive, which has been making a name for itself for building up a surprisingly good catalog of classic anime including VOTOMS, Xabungle, Dunbine, and Patlabor!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Nemoide wrote:Oh, and FYI if you want to watch it in HD but aren't planning on the crazy-person physical release, it's all streaming on HiDive, which has been making a name for itself for building up a surprisingly good catalog of classic anime including VOTOMS, Xabungle, Dunbine, and Patlabor!

That's awesome and I think they might be responsible for some of these getting new physical releases coming up? I know Dunbine got some new BD release I think, then Votoms, Xabungle, and Ideon are too eventually. I'm curious how good the Ideon release will be since the new EG fansub BD rips are top notch.

Great time to be a fan of the classics!
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Saw Perfect Blue in theaters last night, having not watched it since I was 13 in 2001. Holy shit, what a film. Easily a 10/10 movie for me.

They showed an interview with the director afterwards, too, which was really neat. For anyone that wants to see it on the big scren (For which this movie benefits greatly), they are doing the dubbed showing on the 10th. I think the Sub showing was only last night, though.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I feel like that would be a hard one to watch with a crowd, lol. Such a disturbing film.

Probably my favorite next to Paprika for the Kon works.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

It is a hard watch, but there was something beautiful about the film stunning a crowd to dead silence for its entire runtime. The only noise from the crowd came from the unanimous applause at the end.
Soldier Blue
128-bit

Post by Soldier Blue »

Strade wrote:
Soldier Blue wrote:Well I've fallen into the pokecraze now and I decided to watch the original pokemon series. I haven't seen any new anime that I want to watch quite yet.

I thought about rewatching it with clear eyes as i am not even sure i have seen all the seasons back in the day.
It keeps me wondering, if every episode has rocket team show up, and they end up flying to the sky....
How many episodes you need to binge watch for that event to become annoyed by their appearance :lol:

Its not that bad really just fast forward whenever team rocket says their little theme song. Its worth it for all the hilarious slap stick style comedy imo. I mean I even was in tears at some parts haha
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
Sideer

Post by Sideer »

Boku dake ga Inai Machi <3

Sweet, sweet evenings with the anime. They find the way to speak to my psyche unlike any other motion movie ever made.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

Don't really care for most of this season's offerings.

I watched the first episode of Hinomaruzumou, as I'm a big combat sports fan (and really curious about the whole culture surrounding sumo wrestling). Didn't really like it. Production values were rock bottom, the art style was ugly as sin. Also, I reckon it's a sumo anime about thin people. Just throw fat guys in there, you cowards (well, there is the fat kid)! Anyway, I might've stayed with it if it was a single cour. I'm not up for a two cour run, so it's dropped.

Watched Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san today. It's one of those minimal animation 11-minute whimsical cartoons. It's about a skeleton book seller. It was fine. It's short, so I'll probably keep watching.

Thankfully, I'm also doing JoJo Part 5 this season. Took us long enough to get here. I didn't even remember the stupid shit that happens early on in the manga, like Giorno reflecting damage or whatever. That had me laughing a lot.

Other than that, I'll probably go back and watch a classic. It's likely going to be Giant Robo, as I've been curious about it forever.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

Xeogred wrote:So wait, did you watch the whole thing already or no? I seriously need to rewatch it myself. I've only seen the original CA fansubs, never got around to the BD rips yet. I wish I could afford this official release but it's definitely too much for me.

I believe Hidive has the series with the newer subtitles, if you're looking for a more affordable solution.