What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendat

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:I bet Xeogred would blow his own mind if he tallied up how much he spent on video games.

No kidding. I'm getting close to $3000 this year alone. :oops: I don't plan to spend as much next year though. I'll be buying the last few 2018 3DS and Vita stragglers, a Wii U, and the ten or so games I want for it. That's it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

johnblade wrote:Always wonder how many people here go buy a physical copy of an anime show or stream it. Just slowly convert my physical copy I collect and transfer the show to a big HD right now for space reason.

I do. I actually almost never use the physical discs when it comes to anime because it's so much easier to just download and watch them on PC. Buying them is more of backup/support/fun of just owning movies/series sort of deal.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I bet Xeogred would blow his own mind if he tallied up how much he spent on video games.

No kidding. I'm getting close to $3000 this year alone. :oops: I don't plan to spend as much next year though. I'll be buying the last few 2018 3DS and Vita stragglers, a Wii U, and the ten or so games I want for it. That's it.

lol, I got curious. Based off Amazon at least (which is the majority anyways) and including the 3DS and some peripherals, I've spent $896.88 this year. Not too bad I don't think...
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

Just finish watching Sol Bianca The Legacy few days ago and have to say it's an interesting show to watch but kinda feel like it could expand a bit more in episode to develop a bit more in the story and maybe a bit on the character development as 6 episodes didn't cut it from what I watch. Basically, a sci-fi theme where you follow this space pirate (all female) trying to find stuffs (more like guns) which come from Earth. At the same time, a female stowaway manage to sneak into the pirate ship and this start the journey to go back to Earth to find this stowaway parent (while at the same time fight against space force along the way).

When watching the show, it feel like it's an action animated show but in reality, it's more character development with action scene when needed to push the development of each characters. The development of the story reach the climax when you start to piece of what really happen to Earth but I feel confuse a bit along the way and still don't understand as well of why the space force have to do the stuff they need to do at the end as it won't fix the issue the Earth is going through (might miss something when watching).

One of the weird thing when watching is the animation. It feel like early CGI animation mix with some hand drawn. It isn't bad but it have this odd smooth look which I notice when watching. I see this a bit in the 1st episode and don't see as much later on. I guess the big thing to watch is the space ship and the transformation when it fight against enemies. It's well done and look cool to watch. Kinda watching Greek god coming out from the space ship to attack your enemies.

Overall, it's a fine show to watch but will watch when you have some downtime from watching other animated show and want something to go through.

Screenshot from the show.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

johnblade wrote:It feel like early CGI animation mix with some hand drawn.

Some sources cite Sol Bianca: The Legacy as the first anime series to incorporate CGI. I don't know if that's true, but it's definitely one of the very first to do so. I've seen the series myself, and I thought it was OK. However the original Sol Bianca two episode OVA is better. If you haven't seen that, check it out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Bianca
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Hmm Sol Bianca doesn't sound too bad, for its length it sounds worth a shot.

Golgo 13 The Professional from 1983 has a CGI scene. Enjoy!

I didn't say it would look pretty! :lol:
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

Watched Battle Angel a couple days ago, It looked great and I thought it did a good job with the story. I'd have liked to have seen more of Ito and the sewer fight between Gally and that big crazy dude (can't remember his name) but there's only so much they could do with the 2-OVA format.

Overall I'm glad I stopped avoiding the OVA until after I read more of the manga, it just made me want to read it more. The only problem I had was how short it was.

Edit: Also watched Black Magic M-66. It had some decent art in spots and gave me a Patlabor vibe, but overall it seemed pretty mediocre, I can't really even remember much of it. At the least it felt like you needed to be a lot more familiar with the world and characters to get much out of it.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

chuckster wrote:Watched Battle Angel a couple days ago

If you really get into Battle Angel, there is a PS1 game worth checking out:

Gunnm Kasei no Kioku AKA GUNNM Martian Memory
It's playable with FAQs.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

Watch the OVA and do like it as I did read the original manga. The ending is very depressing to watch but understandable based on what the characters want to get. If you going to read the manga, stick only the original story as they have another one come out and from what I heard (as I didn't have the chance to read) it isn't good.

If you love manga convert to anime, try Gunsmith Cats which is very easy to follow and the anime don't really follow the main story from the manga but give you enough stuff to get you interested to go read the manga which I did when I watch it long time ago.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The original Vampire Princess Miyu OVAs are pretty good. But really, my favorite short OVA work from the early 90s was Macross Plus. The plot did drag in a couple places, but the musical selection is eclectic and fantastic, and when there's action going on it really heats up. It's also one of those rare Japanese works that really does a deep character dive and produces some unusual results.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.