Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
johnblade
32-bit

Re: What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendat

by johnblade Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:34 pm

Going through season 2 of Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage and I am now half way done this season. Man...love every episode of this even though the 1st story is very depressing to watch of the two kids. Going to finish watching this show and will post my impression. What a fun ride watching this.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:11 pm

Amazing series. Unfortunately it just kind of random ends when it seems like it could have kept going. I also didn't care for the Roberta's Blood Trail OVA at all either, but maybe you'll like it. Worth watching for sure... but don't expect it to focus much on the main Black Lagoon characters.

This show and Revy were so popular in 2006-2008 when they aired. I don't know if the manga doesn't have much more material to cover or what, but I hope we get some new seasons someday.

Weird to realize it's 12 years old... WTF. lol
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Robotech. Because of mechs and anime..old school anime. Never really seen the show before. I tried last year but the Amazon version's quality is worn out VHS levels. Netflix now has it and is much better looking. I could use a little less Minmay and more robots 7 episodes in.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
johnblade
32-bit

My Impression of DNA²/DNA² OVA

by johnblade Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:50 pm

DNA² Synopsis
Karin, a DNA operator from the future, is on a mission to change the course of History by stopping Junta Momonari from becoming the Mega-Playboy who fathered 100 children and led to the overpopulation of the world. But Junta is no playboy; in fact he is allergic to girls. But when Karin shoots him with the wrong DNA-altering bullet, he starts sporadically becoming the Mega-Playboy capable of charming any woman. Karin must try to restore the situation to normal before the change to Mega-Playboy becomes irreversible.

(Source: ANN)

DNA² OVA Synopsis
Junta's great granddaughter goes back in time in order to make Junta stay as the Mega-Playboy so she can continue to exist. Along with her comes an old man with the intention of making Junta stay as the Mega-Playboy forever for his own purposes.When Junta starts getting attacked, he has no choice but to return to being the Mega-Playboy in order to protect his loved ones.

DNA² is a 15 episodes series (12 from the TV show and 3 from the OVA) which you follow Karin as a DNA operator. The synopsis will give you a general idea of the main TV show and OVA but they're quite a few more stuff happened as you continue watching the show range from trying to connect the one lover which could solve the issue to triangle love to jealously love from another lover. Overall, the story is actually okay and you start to know a bit more of Junta and how difference he is in the current timeline over his playboy alter ego which suppose to threatening the future from overpopulation. His allergy of girls is just damn weird and funny and is exploited quite a few times in the TV show which bring our some interesting and funny scene (this beg the questions, how he manage to become a playboy with this allergy). Some of this scenes will come down to fanservice of other girls who manage to get charm by Junta playboy alter ego and the odd situation it bring into the show.

Junta do go into his playboy alter ego few times in the TV and OVA which you can see the side effect every time he change his ego (positively and negatively) but it's not too often which is a good thing as I kinda hate his alter ego. It remind me of a smooth talker guy attitude when Junta talk which won't work well as his personality is literally opposite from the alter ego. Thankfully, the later part of the TV show, they tone down this annoyance attitude when he have to change to solve an issue.

The tone of the show start as comedy and have a much better pacing as you started to know more of each main characters in the show which come down to Junta friends and even Karin. This tone change to serious drama around halfway and it feel like the creator have to speed up telling the story. Unfortunately, the ending feel a bit rushed to the conclusion and even the OVA did try to have some sort of closure (which Karin actually finish her main mission), it do feel like it's a bit short and wish they have few more episodes to conclude the story.

Animation wise, it's actually not bad for a 94 TV (and 95 OVA). Most of the detail work is coming from the character animation which do look good. I have a feeling the creator of the work want the detail on the character designs which you notice as you watch it. Can't blame as the manga creator is Masakazu Katsura and if you watch his other work, you notice the detail on the characters (mostly in the female characters) . Unfortunately, can't say the same for the background animation which is average. It get the job done but the scene but it isn't special to talk about. Also, they're fair amount of animation shortcuts which is used in the show which you notice it quite easily.

For character development, this might be a big plus in the show. A lot of development between Junta, Karin, Ami, Kotomi, and Tomoko to the point, they're much better developed. I still think Karin might be the strongest character development as she change quite a bit of someone who do the mission just for the money but by the end, she have development a strong attachment between Junta to the point she don't want to complete the mission but have to in the end even though the development between them will be gone.

Overall, DNA² is actually a good show. The change in tone midway might be a negative for some if you like comedy slapstick and the pacing start to speed up but if you keep up with it, the show is actually not bad. If you like Masakazu Katsura animation work (Tiger & Bunny, Iria: Zeiram The Animation, or Zetman for some example), do look into it but be prepared for high school romance with fan-service on the side.
johnblade
32-bit

by johnblade Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:52 pm

In the process watching Lain (episode 4 right now) and have to say, this is a very odd show to watch without any knowledge of the show itself. It feel like you're watching a person who never like computer and see them slowly starting to get into it and now tinker the inner part of a computer while at the same time see the person change slowly. Also, you have other stuff happen around her from people getting kill and somehow people know her in the wired world. Somehow she have some sort of power which she can hear people talking around the net while at the same time ask people without been there. Very odd show which I will stick with the flow till the end to see where it goes in the story and the character.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:02 pm

Serial Experiment Lain? I watched that last year myself and it unfolds really well near the end. It's kind of crazy it came out in 1998 and seems like it predicted a lot of things about the net and whatnot that are relevant today. It's weird no matter how you cut it, I can see multiple rewatches being rewarding with it. But you'll definitely get some clear revelations near the end a first time through.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:56 pm

Just finished Giant Robo, which was damn good as I've always heard over the years.

But Imagawa did it again.

(ie: Same director that handled G Gundam, Shin Mazinger, etc, they all "end" in a similar fashion) :roll:
Alakhami

by Alakhami Sat May 26, 2018 4:29 am

Shinsekai Yori. Quite interesting so far. A utopia based on Buddhist principles with mankind attaining superhuman powers. (mostly psychokinesis.)
My youtube channel with in-depth game commentaries: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU63dc ... omkm9fhf1g
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever