Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean

Gaming with kids?

I have kids & we play games together
7%
I have kids & they play their own games
5%
I have kids, but they don't play games (yet)
10%
No kids yet...
78%

Total votes : 59
deathred
32-bit

by deathred Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:36 pm

I don't have kids of my own, but I've raised my two nephews, who are 8 and 11. I play every game with them. From Mario Bros. to the newest Smash Bros. It's fun cause I'm always entertained. These kids help me beat the games I was never able to beat and in return they get to keep my older gen systems that I no longer use, or have many of.

What amazes me the most is the fact that they are so good with these newer gen. games, but they suck so much when it comes to the games I played at their age. Maybe the simplicity kills them.
I'm back!
xraydash
32-bit

by xraydash Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:32 pm

I've mentioned my kids before- twin boys aged 9 and a 4 year old daughter. I play games with them sometimes, pretty much any GC Mario game w/multiplayer. Mario Kart DD and Mario Super Strikers are favorites.

Mostly the boys play stuff together. Worms 2 on the DS (they each have one) is their game of choice these days. It's kind of cool because they'll also just watch each other play single player games, like Zelda WW or Viewtiful Joe. They'll trade off and play their own save files.

Occasionally the three of them will play one of these games together: Kirby Air Ride, SSMB, Mario Party 4/5, Godzilla: DAMM, Rampage: TD, Power Stone 2. When they play something with lil' sis they don't play by "the rules." They just fool around and laugh their heads off. It's really fun for them but not so much for me so I don't usually join in.

My daughter has her own GBA but the only game she really plays is some Strawberry Shortcake title. It was amazing to see her gaming skills develop as a three year old. The hardest part was learning to coordinate jumping and moving at the same time. There's still one level that she has kind of a hard time with so she'll recruit someone else (usually me :roll: ) to play through it for her. She's dying for a pink DS so we'll probably get her a used one for xmas.

Our house rule is no games until 7:00 PM. They usually play until about 8:45, so just under two hours typically. We're not super strict about it. For instance, if non-neighborhood friends come over we usually let them play. Or if they buy a new game with their own cash money we'll let them try it out during the day too. These extra times usually only work out to about once a week though.

The 7:00 guideline has been in place since day one so they never question it or nag to play. Those occasional times when we allow them to bend the rules are truly a bonus for them. So that's my helpful tip for parents concerned about raising video game zombies: impose a limit from the start.

And where am I when they play games in the evening? Either on the couch playing a handheld or on the other TV in the living room playing the systems hooked up to it (NES, SNES, N64, PS1). My kids don't really need supervision because they don't have access to inappropriate games (non-cartoony violence, blood) but I'm still very much a presence.
Haoie
128-bit

by Haoie Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:46 am

I don't have kids, a wife, or even a girlfriend.

Awww, crap.
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
disorderlyvision
128-bit

Re: Do You Have Kids?

by disorderlyvision Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:20 pm

I have two daughters. the oldest is 6 she has an original gameboy and an atari lynx. i got them for her because they were cheap (in case something happens to them), and i figured it would be a good start for her to learn how to take care of her games, so that when she is older she wont destroy anything expensive. i will occasionally let her play something on my systems, but only with supervision. my youngest is under 1 so i wont have to worry bout that for a few years.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:40 pm

I recently convinced my friends I had an illegitimate child in Iowa named Tina with a women named Crystal. It was hilarious, I even left town for a week and a half for personal reasons, and they thought I went to go visit my 8 year old daughter in Iowa!!!

It was funny.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
glynnahab
128-bit

by glynnahab Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:39 pm

My son is five years old. I introduced him to gaming a year ago with Mario Paint. My assumption was that he would dabble in it and lose interest shortly after since he was so young at the time. Or at least I thought he was too young.

We usually play SNES together most, but he is also an F-Zero GX freak. He's unlocked every vehicle and even put together a few of his own. It did get to the point where I had to put a bit of a time restraint on him, though.

You know, these days all you hear about is the negative effects of video games on children. But I've seen firsthand that it has actually taught him some pretty good lessons - like learning to lose without whining. Also, I've noticed that lately he is very unselfish when it comes to powerups and stuff in co-op games like Zombies Ate My Neighbors. (It didn't start this way, believe me.)

Lastly, and most importantly to me, while he isn't on a high-grade reading level, playing games has helped him with learning to read. Even at the age of four, he took an interest in reading so he could play Super Mario RPG - or as he called it, "That Mario game with the words."
kingmohd84 wrote:I really won't buy a console with hair,
u never know where that hair came from
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:35 am

My wife and I are expecting in December; our first one. :D Very excited and happy~
My gaming time has declined anyways so I don't feel like I'm losing much anyways... After I get settled into the new house, new routine, and actually unpack everything, I know my gaming time will pick up. Kid or not, it's one of my hobbies. ;)
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:46 am

So seeing as this thread is over a year old. How about those kids Racket? Still 'a year or so' away? :lol:

Congratulations D.D.D. Take heed of the drool protector tip on the previous page! Sounds like very good advice! Haha!

My fiancée and I have been together for 5 years now, engaged for one year this last April. We're both gamers (she likes the casual games and the memorpegers like Guild Wars and Runescape quite recently). So hopefully when we have kids they will be weened on the classics first if they even show interest in gaming. We're not going to force it on them in anyway. They either choose to like it and I'll support them by buying them the early stuff and letting them work up. I don't want my kids to be these snotty little spoilt brats that are on xbox live (Live is not a place for children, especially with the language that is thrown about on there). I don't want to completely dictate their experience with gaming, but I would rather steer them in the right direction.

Kids are a long way off yet anyway. We're definitely waiting until we are married with a house before kids, it's not a religious thing, it just means there's less hassle in the future.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:30 am

Niode wrote:So seeing as this thread is over a year old. How about those kids Racket? Still 'a year or so' away? :lol:

Congratulations D.D.D. Take heed of the drool protector tip on the previous page! Sounds like very good advice! Haha!

My fiancée and I have been together for 5 years now, engaged for one year this last April. We're both gamers (she likes the casual games and the memorpegers like Guild Wars and Runescape quite recently). So hopefully when we have kids they will be weened on the classics first if they even show interest in gaming. We're not going to force it on them in anyway. They either choose to like it and I'll support them by buying them the early stuff and letting them work up. I don't want my kids to be these snotty little spoilt brats that are on xbox live (Live is not a place for children, especially with the language that is thrown about on there). I don't want to completely dictate their experience with gaming, but I would rather steer them in the right direction.

Kids are a long way off yet anyway. We're definitely waiting until we are married with a house before kids, it's not a religious thing, it just means there's less hassle in the future.

Thank you much~ :D Yeah, drool protection is good but then again, the wee ones shall not be going near expensive stuff any time soon.

The thing about spoiled kids and such, I really think that people in their late 20's and early 30's are really seeing what little shits kids are these days and are going to do their best not to let their kids turn out that way. At least that's how it is for me.
That and if my kids want to play games, they shall start out on the NES and work their way up gradually to appreciate good games. Just like movies~
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Metalcrack
32-bit

by Metalcrack Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:37 am

My little girl is just over 12 months old. She likes to push the guide button on my 360 controller, but that's about it for now.
Atari2600/Colecovision/Dreamcast/DS-Lite/GBA/NES/N64/Gamecube/Saturn/Master System/Genesis-32X-CD/PS1/PS2/PSP/TG16/Xbox/Xbox 360/

Budget Gaming PC: .... AMD Phenom II x3 720, 6870 1GB, 4GB 1600 Ram
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever