Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean

Gaming with kids?

I have kids & we play games together
7%
I have kids & they play their own games
5%
I have kids, but they don't play games (yet)
10%
No kids yet...
78%

Total votes : 59
elph
32-bit

by elph Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:46 pm

Got a 15-month old daughter and my wife is due with our second (a boy) next month. My daughter is a ton of fun. When she's awake, she bounces off the walls because she has so much energy. You lose a bit of free time, but it's so gratifying to have kids. Currently, I've got about two years of College left and my wife is a full time mom. We make it work :D. My daughter doesn't have a whole lot of interest in video games at this point, and I'm okay with that. We're planning to use video games to aid in building imagination rather than producing zombie kids who are glued to their DS 24x7.

We've actually backed up most of our game collection in order to protect against scratched disc/water damage catastrophe. Plus some games look a lot nicer at emulated than they do at the original resolution, and we can use our wireless controllers to play them.

BTW, great job on the article Racketboy. You covered a lot of good points.
Skullmonkey

by Skullmonkey Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:08 pm

Man, seeing these replies is really starting to make me fell old :shock: . Oh well, I always said I'd still be gaming when I was an old man, looks like I'm well on the way :lol: .

I have a lot of game systems, both retro and current gen. I'd say my oldest daughter was about 3 years old before she started showing anything more than a passing interest in gaming, but even then, she would loose interest within 15 - 20 minutes. I now have 2 kids, (both girls, 8 and 5 years old), who are now both firmly into games.

Once I could see that they were both very interested in gaming, I let them start to play on my consoles, but very quickly found that some were way better than others. Like one of other posters, I also thought that N64 would be the sure fire best bet, but found that they both had serious trouble with the controller, that thumb stick just doesn't work for them. I also found that even the eldest child, had too many control issues with 3D games, (ie most of the N64 range that are worth playing) and ended up getting frustrated instead of having fun.

Next was the Dreamcast, and they did find the controller much easier to come to terms with, but for my youngest it was still a bit too big for her to hold properly. Also the rising complexity of the games made accessability an issue. Also as mentioned is the concern of the media being too easy to damage. Even though I would only let them use my backups, and none of my original games, I still found it frustrating to have to check them constantly, and reburn them if needed. Really the only game they both play on the DC regularly now is Soul Calibur, so the search went on.

Then when I saw them showing a LOT of interest one day in the Mega Drive, (Genesis for all the Us folks), then I really know I was onto a winner. The controller was much better shaped and designed for kids, and my eldest had it mastered in minutes. Even better was when the youngest proved that she could start playing without me helping at all. The amount of games that is available is stunning, and 95% were made for kids. Well that really goes without saying, as those of us old enough to have kids now, were kids when it came out. Really the number of adults who were playing video games as a serious hobby back in the 90's were clearly in the minority.

Even though I was very happy to have found a system that really suited them, I was worried that they would loose interest, because of the obvious graphical difference. My kids have grown up around games, and are used to seeing what is possible with current gen systems, (ie. Xbox360, high end gaming PC), and I thought that the eldest especially would quickly loose interest.

However when I quizzed her about this, she looked at me very matter of factly and said, "I don't care, these ones are just as much fun, and I can play the games by myself". There it was, from the mouth of babes, as they say.

So I then bought a second Genesis for them to keep in their play room, and almost a year later they are still playing it regularly. Even better, all that was old is new again. When the TMNT came out on every current platform, the kids naturally started to ask about playing it. Simple, I just put the TMNT:The Hyperstone Heist onto my Flash Cart, and they loved it. They are now saving their pocket money to be able to buy their own copy :) .

So my reccomendation, is start them on the classics, either the Genesis or the SNES, and just let them graduate up the console ladder as they get older and more proficient. Only now has the eldest started to really push for another console, and surprisingly it is the PS2, (not the DC as I had hoped), the reason is obvious; the large amount of girl tailored content, of course releasing a pink coloured one sealed the deal in her mind. So this christmas, that is what she'll get.
kinn
64-bit

by kinn Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:56 pm

aaron wrote:haha! totally "lifted."

anyway my son is nearly 18 months and can't quite grasp gaming yet. he's amazed by colorful games and quick moving sprites/characters (he loves the 16 bit sonics, and he'll watch me play a few of the more colorful DC games). i'm sure that once he gets a little older i will probably get him an n64, that seems to be a good system to start out on. it's cartridge based (kids+discs=bad idea), the games are colorful (for the most part), lots of good "kid-friendly" games in good quantity and not very expensive.

also, those of you with toddlers, here's a tip: my son right now is really into opening the flip-top lids of my DC and saturn. i have them unplugged when he's around so he can't turn them on (he loves pressing buttons), but i was concerned about him popping open the lid and getting that seemingly acidic drool of his on the lens. all i did was take one of those clear cd separators (the kind you get at the top and bottom of a new spindle of cd-r's) and stuck them in the disc trays. i firmly believe they've saved my systems. now my xbox on the other hand i haven't figured out how to keep him from opening the drive. that bright green LED is very tempting, it seems...

Thanks for the tip! We now have a weapon against that enless supply of drool! :lol: Just need something to prevent teeth marks on joypads...
360 Gamer Tag = Kinn, PS3 Tag = xKINNx, Wii = 3036 8283 1247 3110
Overdosed on Gaming
metaleggman
128-bit

by metaleggman Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:33 am

I'm only 15, so I don't think ready for a kid just yet. :lol:

But when I get married, I'll have kids and I hope to get them gaming on the classics before anything else. Let them play NES or maybe those nice old humungous kid's games on PC. I loved those games as a kid. So fun. Then, as they get older, I'll let them play SNES, Genesis, N64, etc; let them appreciate the classics before getting them hooked on PS7 and Xbox 2160 and God knows what the next Nintendo console will be called. :lol:
dmarsee

my kids' favorite games

by dmarsee Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:16 pm

my kids are around 4-6 years old, and they love games that have tight control and freedom to roam. Their favorites are Lego Star Wars, Billy Hatcher and Mario Sunshine.
We have a lot of older games (NES-thru-Dreamcast), but the limited nature and high punishment rate don't really interest them a lot.
I hope that when the kids are older (8-10 years old), we can enjoy the more traditional games like Pac-Man, SMB & Tetris.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:49 pm

Kids?!

Hell no!! I don't want that kind of responsibility and frankly, I'd like my free time to be for my own enjoyment, not taking care of kids. I see so many people running around taking their kids to school, to soccer games, etc. Plus, they're working their butts off to put them through school. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm just selfish, but I'd never give up so much of my time to take care of someone else.

And I'm a pet lover, and as silly as it may sound to some, I feel like my pets are like kids anyway. So I don't need real ones. I can see myself getting married one day if I meet the right girl, but definitely no kids. Our lives will be lived for our enjoyment. Kids seems like too much of a burden to me.

No offense to the parents on this board. I know you love your kids and that's perfectly cool. We're all different.
nocturnalnerd
64-bit

by nocturnalnerd Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:24 pm

racketboy wrote:My wife and I are looking to have kids in a year or so...

We've been married 5 years now, so in a way, we've gotten really used to being by ourselves, but I'm kinda looking forward to it.

I'm just worried that I'll never have free time again.

You Won't that is why I am nominating Moz to take over the running of the site for the next 18 to 22 years.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:53 pm

Im 32 and our first child is due any day now (Doctor originally said 8-9-08).
I work with kids everyday and gaming is a big part of their live... I cant say anything about my own kids yet but I know any game that has 3 Lives, Levels, and no save points is the only game small children should play.
My boss said he lost his kid to games, my other coworker says that an old NES has saved their child. Addiction is a worry and 3 lives, level limit, no save points can be a positive for a child to teach them responsible game playing.

Ok, I am thinking way too far a head... for now I am going to play my games when not spending time with my family and play the rest by ear.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

by Curlypaul Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:09 pm

I have 3 kids, ages 7, 2 and 10 months and yes I dont get as much free time as I used to but the time with the kids is worth it and I still get to play games most days as well.

The eldest has a Gamecube in her room and she's got a DS for her birthday in a months time. She plays a lot on the bratz games and film licence platformers but she also like to play on soul calibur and some of my wii games too and it is a good time to bind together. The other 2 are obviously too young to play really.

@Skullmonkey, I agree that the old games were simpler even if they were more punishing. Just 3 buttons and 2 dimensions makes for a much friendlier experience for the total noob I reckon
blaix
16-bit

by blaix Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:14 pm

My son is only 1 so I am anxiously awaiting the day he can do more with a controller than run around the room with it mashing on the buttons.

He has his own xbox 360 controller (broken, no batteries) that we give him to mess with whenever the wife and I want to game.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever