Time for an Arcade Forum Category?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
racketboy
Site Admin

Time for an Arcade Forum Category?

Post by racketboy »

So many years ago, we lumped arcade stuff in with the "Other Platforms"

Do you think it's time to segment it out and move relevant topics there?

Any other platforms worth doing the same?
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: Time for an Arcade Forum Category?

Post by flojocabron »

Sure! Go for it bossman!
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Well, when you take into account that portables all get talked about in the company forums (and thus no longer needed in the subtitle) then Other Platforms is now for "Neo Geo, Arcade, and Every Other Platform". So arcade, arcade, and the miscellaneous stuff like the TG and 3DO. So I don't know that it buys us a lot.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I'm onboard for anything that brings more pointed discussion to a specific area (be it portables, arcade, whatever).
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Arcade could work, but it would also drag in related stuff say like SNK being both Neo Geo, but also AES and NGP/NGPC so it would get blurry yet it gets so little discussion it couldn't live on its own section alone. If you did even a Arcade+SNK area, the other area would get very dry with the off brand systems from dead makers and wonky junk from overseas not tied to mass Nintendo piracy.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I think an arcade subform is a great idea.

The lines will always be a little blurry but sure it'll start some great threads.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

I think arcade being a subforum to itself is a good idea. I'd also add that we split Sony and Microsoft into two separate sections.
bryan_65
Next-Gen

Post by bryan_65 »

strangenova wrote: I'd also add that we split Sony and Microsoft into two separate sections.

+1
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

As far as making an arcade forum, I think that's a fine idea.

I don't think we should split Sony and Microsoft though, the traffic there is light as it is. In fact, all of the company specific forums are somewhat light on discussion, but that's probably due to our falling numbers and fools like me not talking retro enough.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I don't think we should split Sony and Microsoft though, the traffic there is light as it is. In fact, all of the company specific forums are somewhat light on discussion, but that's probably due to our falling numbers and fools like me not talking retro enough.

I think it makes some sense, at least in the long term, given that MS and Sony have been major parts of the console marketplace about as long, or longer, than Sega was (at least in the U.S.). Since they continue to be ,there's only going to be more stuff to classify under one of the two.

Perhaps the company specific boards end up light on discussion because, more often than not, talk about games ends up in genre boards or someplace in General (or, you know, whatever other thread they happen to start in :lol: ).

Same could be said of a potential Arcade board though - game discussion can likely already fit elsewhere. There's already a place for technical questions, for emulation, to show your setups, etc. As things are, I don't think there's enough left over to really warrant a separate category, especially for how niche it is.