All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 546  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: So the Islamic world is kind of falling apart...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:02 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:48 pm
Posts: 2263
Location: Lincoln, Rhode Island
Flake wrote:
corn619 wrote:
I think its going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better. I just hope the people over there get true a Democracy in the end. It would make the world a safer & better place.


How do you come to that conclusion? There is no empirical data to support that.
Its just my opinion. I guess you could say the same thing about the title of your thread as well. Some people would say that the Islamic world is coming together, not falling apart.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So the Islamic world is kind of falling apart...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:10 pm 
Offline
Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:27 pm
Posts: 7763
Location: San Antonio, TX
It might be good for you to keep in mind that democratic nations go to war more frequently than dictatorships. I am not saying that democracy is not desirable, mind you. Just that the idea that democracy = stability is a fallacy.

_________________
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So the Islamic world is kind of falling apart...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:41 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:48 pm
Posts: 2263
Location: Lincoln, Rhode Island
Flake wrote:
It might be good for you to keep in mind that democratic nations go to war more frequently than dictatorships. I am not saying that democracy is not desirable, mind you. Just that the idea that democracy = stability is a fallacy.
I think the people of N.Korea would disagree. I'm sure they would welcome the stability of Democracy in any form with wide open arms. Democracy is not a perfect system by any means. But dictatorships are much less stable and do nothing to make this world better. The people suffer greatly due to the greed and wants of the dictator.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So the Islamic world is kind of falling apart...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:48 pm 
Offline
128-bit
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 8:32 pm
Posts: 941
Flake wrote:
It might be good for you to keep in mind that democratic nations go to war more frequently than dictatorships. I am not saying that democracy is not desirable, mind you. Just that the idea that democracy = stability is a fallacy.


How many times have two truly democratic nations gone to war against each other? It is already a well established fact that this occurs very infrequently. So I am not sure what you are referring to.

Just because a dictator holds an election every so often doesn't mean his country is really a democracy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So the Islamic world is kind of falling apart...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:52 pm 
Offline
Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:27 pm
Posts: 7763
Location: San Antonio, TX
To the best of my knowledge, only one TRULY democratic nation has ever existed...and that was a couple thousand years ago.

_________________
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So the Islamic world is kind of falling apart...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:19 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:48 pm
Posts: 2263
Location: Lincoln, Rhode Island
Flake wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, only one TRULY democratic nation has ever existed...and that was a couple thousand years ago.
Which nation that existed a couple thousand years had a true Democracy? I felt the post was a little vague.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So the Islamic world is kind of falling apart...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:59 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:26 pm
Posts: 4336
Location: Waukesha, WI
corn619 wrote:
Flake wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, only one TRULY democratic nation has ever existed...and that was a couple thousand years ago.
Which nation that existed a couple thousand years had a true Democracy? I felt the post was a little vague.

Greece.

_________________
Personal high scores (world record underlined):
Nibbler (arcade, marathon): 251,169,160 (12/26-27/2013) / Nibbler (arcade, one life): 5,263,360 (8/3/2013)
Donkey Kong (arcade): 256,200 [L8-2] (1/16/2016) / Donkey Kong (MAME): 423,100 [L12-1] (8/5/2015)
Avalanche (arcade): 3,451 (1/11/2012)
Q*Bert (arcade): 333,720 [L9 flipped] (1/5/2013)
Star Fire (MAME): 850 (7/23/2015)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So the Islamic world is kind of falling apart...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:02 pm 
Offline
Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:27 pm
Posts: 7763
Location: San Antonio, TX
exactly. True democracy in a one man, one vote fashion only ever existed in Greece. There is no evidence that modern day democracies are any less war like than any other form of government.

I want everyone in the middle east to sort out their problems and come up with what works best for them - but I am not going to assume that democracy is the solution for the problems of one of the oldest civilized regions on the planet.

That kind of assumption is what has led to the current mess in Afghanistan and Iraq.

_________________
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So the Islamic world is kind of falling apart...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:22 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:40 am
Posts: 4311
@ZeroAX

I don't think I get your point clear, are you saying that people should migrate into families and not individuals?
are you saying that to be good citizens you should be in a family?

@Flake
Why was Greece the only democratic nation?
Please be clear, I would like to know


@Everyone who feels they want to know more about Bahrain's situation

http://www.peacebahrain.com/

This is a website is set up by locals as far as I know, showing the truth about what is happening. There are some interesting facts. See the issue from everyone's point of view


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So the Islamic world is kind of falling apart...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:45 pm 
Offline
Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:27 pm
Posts: 7763
Location: San Antonio, TX
Greece's democracy was literally one man, one vote for every citizen.

Modern democracies are usually representative democracies - you vote for a spokesperson for your precinct or district and that person will essentially cast your vote for you - and maybe sometimes they will listen to you, the constituent. But mostly the only check on this type of democracy is the next election.

_________________
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 546  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: