World is Falling Apart Thread (Locked forever)

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
corn619
Next-Gen

Re: So the Islamic world is kind of falling apart...

Post by corn619 »

Flake wrote:
corn619 wrote:I think its going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better. I just hope the people over there get true a Democracy in the end. It would make the world a safer & better place.

How do you come to that conclusion? There is no empirical data to support that.
Its just my opinion. I guess you could say the same thing about the title of your thread as well. Some people would say that the Islamic world is coming together, not falling apart.
Flake

Post by Flake »

It might be good for you to keep in mind that democratic nations go to war more frequently than dictatorships. I am not saying that democracy is not desirable, mind you. Just that the idea that democracy = stability is a fallacy.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

Flake wrote:It might be good for you to keep in mind that democratic nations go to war more frequently than dictatorships. I am not saying that democracy is not desirable, mind you. Just that the idea that democracy = stability is a fallacy.
I think the people of N.Korea would disagree. I'm sure they would welcome the stability of Democracy in any form with wide open arms. Democracy is not a perfect system by any means. But dictatorships are much less stable and do nothing to make this world better. The people suffer greatly due to the greed and wants of the dictator.
saturnfan
128-bit

Post by saturnfan »

Flake wrote:It might be good for you to keep in mind that democratic nations go to war more frequently than dictatorships. I am not saying that democracy is not desirable, mind you. Just that the idea that democracy = stability is a fallacy.

How many times have two truly democratic nations gone to war against each other? It is already a well established fact that this occurs very infrequently. So I am not sure what you are referring to.

Just because a dictator holds an election every so often doesn't mean his country is really a democracy.
Flake

Post by Flake »

To the best of my knowledge, only one TRULY democratic nation has ever existed...and that was a couple thousand years ago.
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

Flake wrote:To the best of my knowledge, only one TRULY democratic nation has ever existed...and that was a couple thousand years ago.
Which nation that existed a couple thousand years had a true Democracy? I felt the post was a little vague.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

corn619 wrote:
Flake wrote:To the best of my knowledge, only one TRULY democratic nation has ever existed...and that was a couple thousand years ago.
Which nation that existed a couple thousand years had a true Democracy? I felt the post was a little vague.

Greece.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Flake

Post by Flake »

exactly. True democracy in a one man, one vote fashion only ever existed in Greece. There is no evidence that modern day democracies are any less war like than any other form of government.

I want everyone in the middle east to sort out their problems and come up with what works best for them - but I am not going to assume that democracy is the solution for the problems of one of the oldest civilized regions on the planet.

That kind of assumption is what has led to the current mess in Afghanistan and Iraq.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

@ZeroAX

I don't think I get your point clear, are you saying that people should migrate into families and not individuals?
are you saying that to be good citizens you should be in a family?

@Flake
Why was Greece the only democratic nation?
Please be clear, I would like to know

@Everyone who feels they want to know more about Bahrain's situation

http://www.peacebahrain.com/

This is a website is set up by locals as far as I know, showing the truth about what is happening. There are some interesting facts. See the issue from everyone's point of view
Flake

Post by Flake »

Greece's democracy was literally one man, one vote for every citizen.

Modern democracies are usually representative democracies - you vote for a spokesperson for your precinct or district and that person will essentially cast your vote for you - and maybe sometimes they will listen to you, the constituent. But mostly the only check on this type of democracy is the next election.