Carolinas Area Racket Meetup - Animazement 2010 May27th-30th

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Carolinas Area Racket Meetup - Animazement 2010 May27th-30th

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Inspired by Sevin0Sevin and Wip3outguy's successes I'm inclined to shoot for a Racketeer's meetup in my general area.

Does anyone have some locations they would like to brainstorm?

CONFIRMED! - Meetup Number 1!:

There's a great con in my area called Animazement in Raleigh, NC during the last weekend of May that is fun, affordable and goes for three days (Including an extra fourth pre-con night for those of you who like to travel early) which is already frequented by several of our members and is loads of fun. It is primarily Anime, Manga and Japanese culture centered, but there is a great game room filled with dozens of arcade cabs run by our very own Majors, and a spectacular dealer's room with not only a giant booth for the always great Video Games New York, but MadGear's awesome and affordably priced sneak imports as well.

Here's a link so you can check out the action:

http://animazement.org/

UPDATE! 3/25/11 -
Rooms are sold out at both hotels directly across from the con center. Luckily I had managed to reserve one beforehand wayyyyy back in early January.

UPDATE! 5/4! - Online Pre-Registration at the more affordable rate ends on the 8th! That leaves 4 days for those of you who want to get a discount rate for the weekend's festivities.

UPDATE NUMBER 2! - 5/4! - We now have two confirmed members staying at the room I reserved!

Confirmed Racketeer Room list (As of right now):

MOD_MAN
Dr Cirno
Dr Cirno's Fiance

Get in quick while we still have spots! The rate has nowhere to go but down if you jump in today!

UPDATE! 5/17!

The hotel room I had reserved is full! We've maxed out at insano levels and can't cram any more people into the room. If anyone's desperate for a place to spend the night and hasn't found something yet there's still a week to find another room at the hotel or try staying with family or someone you know locally!

Confirmed Racketeer room list:
Same as above with a board lurker me and Cirno know who wishes his name to be withheld and two more non-Racketeer additions.

UPDATE! 5/20~! AKA 6 days to go!

Here's the floor plan for the game room direct from Majors himself!

6 Days to jump in on this for any last minute stragglers! You don't want to miss out on the fun!

AZ layout.jpg
AZ layout.jpg (122.39 KiB) Viewed 1769 times

Secondary overflow hotels for the convention can be found here at Animazement's hotel page on their website:

http://animazement.org/hotel/

Here below is how the rate broke down from the 3/25 update for those who reserved at the Sheraton:

Written Feb. 4th and quoted from my post on page 3 of this thread.

I made sure to get a room reserved at the Sheraton across the street a few weeks back to make sure I'd still have a room for when the con was happening.

The rate they quoted me is $112 a night and $378.08 total for Thursday - Saturday night and checkout Sunday morning at 12PM. The total for the whole weekend with tax is $378.08 which when broken down amongst a group factors out to:

1 person: $378.08
2 people: $189.04
3 people: $126.03
4 people: $94.52
5 people (pushing it at that point): $75.62
6 people (if we're feeling crazy): $63.02

All prices are the total amount needed for the whole weekend, also, they can only give us 4 room keys.

There are several other local hotels within a few blocks walking distance or 5-15 minutes driving distance from the location. More updates on possible sleeping and chill-out locations will be posted as they come in here on the first post.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Flake

Re: Southeast (NC, SC, VA, GA, etc...) Racketeer Meetup?

Post by Flake »

Somewhere near a good Mexican Food Restaurant. That has been the secret to the Austin area meet-ups ever since we started them. Games and Dos-Equis.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Urban Champion-e
8-bit

Post by Urban Champion-e »

I'm down. I'm leaving for Beijing in February and wont be back till August. Hopefully everyone will have the group organized by then :P

Everyone meets at South of the Border!
Don't be jealous I'm 8-bit all you Next-Gens!
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

I'd go. I can't think of any place right now, but I will post some once I think of them. Also, there are alot of Mexican restaurants in Raleigh so we can go eat somewhere there.
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

I'm already taking a vacation in the near future (10 days, driving up to PA, NY, and VT). Though that would put me driving through 'the south'.

Where are the Florida members? We should have our own Florida meet up damn it. No one else invited.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Josh
64-bit

Post by Josh »

^Agreed, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to score a booth a MegaCon or something.
Collects promo gaming stuff, certain import games, hockey memorabilia, and other oddball things. (sig and avy under construction)
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I can provide rooms and possibly a dozen tvs at GA tech if we do it in Atlanta. It would be just us though, no convention around us.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

Josh wrote:^Agreed, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to score a booth a MegaCon or something.

I think it's Megacon a huge group of us are going to... March in Orlando right? If I recall correctly my buddies have a booth... or maybe not. They've been in the air about it after what happened at Supercon.

fastbilly1 wrote:I can provide rooms and possibly a dozen tvs at GA tech if we do it in Atlanta. It would be just us though, no convention around us.

That sounds fun. I could do Atlanta, my girlfriend has been wanting to go up to Chatanooga as well (she's got friends up there).
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I'd be up for a trip to Raleigh. It's about a four hour haul for me; that's not too bad considering I live out in the country. I've been wanting to meet a bunch of other Racketeers from Virginia and the surrounding areas.
Majors
128-bit

Post by Majors »

Flake wrote:Games and Dos-Equis.

I hear ya. I have Pancho Villas two blocks away, well within walking distance, which has been a GOOD THING.

I'm all for Animazement meet-up, but it does tend to get busy for me. Though with the summer coming up, cook-outs to be had!
Majors -=- Wedoca '22